Ukuleles as currency ?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
It may be odd but I'm wondering if others are thinking in uke currency. Like-That new flat screen equates to two new custom ukes. A set of tires cost about 4 sopraninos. Go out to dinner and realize it cost more than a Makala dolphin. My IRA lost a Ko'olau tenor yesterday. I hope this makes sense.

Yeah, I need a raise. I'm thinking about a Kala a month oughta do it....

Yes. I'm starting to weigh all purchase against what uke(s) I could buy. Not good.

I do that, in spite of the fact that my UAS is firmly in remission.

It was painful realizing that our new dinghy could have been an Ebony Sceptre. Wah!

Yeah, I go to the doctor's for a physical, and get the bill for the blood test... how many ukes would that be $45 dollar copay (Makala Dolphin) possible $200-$300 dollars for the blood tests (nearly half a KoAloha). It does make you pause.

–Lori

Hah, I used to do this. Thankfully, I've been weaned off the ukulele currency, the minimum bll size that I wanted was just too large, since I stopped buying Kalas and the like. It was difficult to think of a lunch as 1/100th of a K-brand concert. :p I think in terms of knives, multitools, and flashlights now, which are what I have been spending my income on recently. The bill denominations are more managable in that hobby. :)

I recently saw a collection of firearms my father had hidden in a closet. He had FAS (Firearm Acquisition Syndrome). Oh, how I wish those had been ukuleles! I will try and convert the rifles and shotgun into cash, which could then become ukuleles (or I suppose something else), but I will have to throw myself at the mercy of the Gun Merchants, since the condition could be in question due to the 30+ year storage. I know nothing about these things, but I will just have to go out there and see what they bring. I expect that 4 rifles (some with scopes) and a shotgun in good condition might equal one really nice uke. It is the only goal that keeps me interested in looking up the possibilities.
–Lori

Lori, it's possible older rifles can be worth a LOT if they're no longer made or collectible somehow. I can ask around if you like.

I have been buying ukes as currency, figuring that if my Roth keeps taking hits why add to it? And if the savings go into ukes, at least the value should stay stable. I live in a good climate for keeping them in good shape. They will all lose their retail value but then stabilize at whatever the used value is.

So, in my mind I haven't been spending money on ukes, I'm moving money into ukes, as opposed to stocks or business inventory or whatever. All the ukes I've bought so far have come from selling things on Ebay, then taking that Paypal balance and giving Bounty or MGM a call.

ALLLLLL THE TIME. And it's not just limited to ukes. Guitars, amps, collectible comic books...

Absolutely!
Shoes.
High end cosmetics/skincare.
Electronic gadgets.
New eyeglasses.
All these things get on one side of the scale while whatever the uke equivalent is is on the other.
I think I am going to have to do an eye exam and new eyeglasses though. But then maybe my existing lovelies will look even more enchanting to me.

All the ukes I've bought so far have come from selling things on Ebay, then taking that Paypal balance and giving Bounty or MGM a call.

I've done the same thing recently. I sold a guitar that was an impulse buy, and some other assorted non music items that were'nt getting used. In return I got more ukes. :)

Definitely! I see expensive items and say "But you could buy (number) ukes for that!" I do that a lot when I watch those TLC shows where people spend $10,000 on a wedding dress. xD

Dang new radiator cost me half a KoAloha concert! The leaky exhaust manifold will be the other half.. :(

Rent alone is 1 1/2 Sceptres a month.

Need to sell the comic books.

Last edited:
Top Bottom