The Beefy Neck Club

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
This Makai neck has much more girth than my Kala... and I am digging it. Any heads up on other ukes with fatboy necks?

I *think* Tom Guy's CBUs have thicker necks, and I *think* Keli'i ukes have thicker necks. Just saying place to start looking but don't hold me to it. ;) There's a Tom Guy tenor on eBay right now for a great price from a very reputable seller.

Fleas and Flukes have very beefy necks, and they are not only beefy, but an odd shape. I find them to be very comfortable though. They don't look "finished" somehow, but it is actually a well thought-out design.

I think in general that among the factory imports any other company will have a beefier neck than a Kala or a Makala...

I like the beefy neck of fleas/flukes. Especially when playing for longer intervals, they are more comfortable to me than skinny necks. But I strongly dislike wider fretboards like Oscar Schmidt or Honu. Since I am a strummer, not a picker I have no use for extra spacing between the strings.

Ha ha, I saw this thread and thought you might be talking about Rugby Props! I've got a beefy neck.

My Kamaka has a thicker neck than my Mainland. I prefer the thicker neck.

Fleas and Flukes have very beefy necks, and they are not only beefy, but an odd shape. I find them to be very comfortable though. They don't look "finished" somehow, but it is actually a well thought-out design.

The difference between my Fluke and my KoAloha is astounding. I think it's good for me to switch between them.

Boat Paddle Ukuleles have a thicker neck.

My Kauai built Island Ukulele Soprano has a fatter neck then most of my ukes.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Tom Guy's uke's have quite substantial necks and wide fretboards.

My Kanile'a I'd say is pretty wide. I prefer the smaller more traditionalish neck, but it's nice to have some variety. It's still plenty comfy.

My Kanile'a I'd say is pretty wide. I prefer the smaller more traditionalish neck, but it's nice to have some variety. It's still plenty comfy.

That's the whole reason my Kanile'a is my favorite uke! Well...that and the wonderful, happy sounds it makes despite my ham-handed playing.

We are talking neck thickness here not neck width; right?
I purchased a Kelii Soprano on the understanding that Kelii's had a thicker neck than the average Uke. Mine, however, is much thinner that all my other ukes and I have to adapt my playing to allow for the thinner neck. For instance I always play Bb in the first position by stopping the A and E strings with my index finger (as I play the F chord on guitar) but with the Kelii I have to bar otherwise the A string is muted (Gm7 is a problem). I am changing the nut from the ebony one to bone to see it that has any bearing on the matter although the set up by MGM looks to be OK.
Cheers
Tred

Fat neck? No, thanks..

I had a RISA stick. Fat neck. Didn't like it.
Fleas/Flukes look to have the same neck profile. I wouldn't like it.

KoAloha Pineapple: nice, thin neck, but with enough width to keep the A & G strings on deck. Very playable. I like it.

Eleuke Pineapple (soprano): nearly as thin as the KoAloha, but not quite as wide. It's good discipline. I like it.

It's just my preference. I like to play chords such as Ab (5343) with my thumb wrapped around and atop the neck, and those fat necks are too much of a handful. YMMV.

Top Bottom