Keef's Briggs & Stratton Ukulele Build

Keef

Reaction score
I am building a Uke using a Briggs & Stratton blower housing as the body
8d95a336.jpg

I will update this thread as I make progress

Last edited:
This will be interesting Keef.
Will you use those bolt holes to bolt on the sound board?
Your pic reminded me that I have a very old set of graining combs just for this purpose. Looks like you did just fine without them.
Look forward to your progress pics.

Here it is with an aluminum flywheel screen installed
dede3036.jpg

Last edited:
Super cool. Can't wait to hear it fired up.

1. What area of the instument is the soundboard?
2. I would like to install a pickup what is the best one to use? Does someone make one that takes the place of the bridge?
3. Is a saddle the same as the bridge?

Last edited:
Hi Keef;
The sound board is typically the board or surface that has the hole in it. Perhaps better, it is that which the bridge is attached.
If your going to use nylon or similar strings, you probably would need an under saddle pickup. If you were going to use electric or steel guitar strings you could use a magnetic pick up. There are also body sensor pickups.
The saddle is that which supports the strings and is held to the guitar/uke by the bridge. Saddles can be bone, wood (ebony), tusk (ivory) etc.. The bridge may also be used to tie the ends of the strings to. The nut is at the other end, at the end of the fret board approaching the tuners. Usually made of the same material as the saddle.
Does that help? Searching google will bring up an overwhelming amount of information for you.

the saddle rides on the bridge thank you

Last edited:
I figure it's got to have one of those rope pull cords with a wooden handle...... could double as a neck strap.
You can buy bearing guided router bits that will fit 1/4" and even 1/8" collets. Or are you talking about cutter clearance?
Yikes! In a drill press? What are you rounding over?

I had no idea a bearing type rounding router bit could cost so much and it won't even fit in my trim router so it's going to be used in the drill press ( yes I understand why that is soooo wrong ) hummm? W

STOP. STOP. STOP.
I don't know if you are having fun with us or if you are just uninformed. I know you are new to this but we still don't want to lose you. DO NOT put a router bit in a drill press! These tools aren't toys and I don't want anyone else reading this to think this is an acceptable practice. Drill presses don't generate the speed to do the job safely. Even with the best of tools, properly set up and used by experienced individuals, accidents happen. Just ask a bunch of us!!!!!!!!! Stick with hand tools. It's a lot slower way to hurt yourself.
BTW, why not start with a $25 grizzly kit and equip yourself with some basic knowledge. I'm not saying you can't make an ukulele out of an old lawn mower but maybe you should have a little more experience under your belt first. It'll increase your chances of success.
I don't mean to come off like a hard ass here, but unsafe practice should not be condoned
Good luck and BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!
I'll let Matt take over from here.

The back will be made from 3/4" thick red oak the rounded corner will be against the shirt of the player.
I have deleted my methods so that beginers don't copy me and hurt them selfs
I have never built a ukulele before but this does not mean that I have no experience please don't judge me until you know me

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the safety warning
I agree with Chuck

Last edited:
It's a large router bit but this isn't my first rodeo

We just don't want this to be your last Keef.
I appreciate the thrill of discovery and the joy of finding creative solutions. Believe me, there's plenty of room for that but it doesn't mean you have to get impaled by the horns to learn to steer clear of a charging bull. eh?

You can take any risk you choose. My point is that there are a lot of inexperienced builders here to take advice from this forum. Someone who lacks your experience may mistaken this as practical advice. This is a public forum and I believe part of its' participants responsibility is to promote safe practices. To do otherwise is irresponsible.

Last edited:
What Chuck said! Exactly what Chuck said!!
I've had a lifetimes experience in engineering and woodworking and I know better that to do anything as daft as what you're suggesting.
Go ahead and do it if you want to, but don't talk about it here.

I will only show project progress in the future

Last edited:
Super cool, now inlay some cogs n' gears 'n pipes n stuff on the back and send some copper tubing throgh those bolt holes... oh yeah, it's yours not mine lol.

Top Bottom