For Sale: Kala KA-CE Mahogany Concert Uke w/pickup and case<SOLD>

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelukeeffect

Reaction score
I'm selling my faithful Kala KA-CE ukulele in order to make up the difference of a more expensive ukulele I just got. I purchased it from MGM almost a year ago, and it has served me well. It has really opened up in terms of harmonic overtones and overall richness of tone. I've never changed the original Aquila strings, and they are a little worn near the nut, where open chords are formed.

The uke has an active electric Shadow pickup, which works very well. No rattling of any sort, only needed to change the battery once over the course of a year. Tuners work very well. Overall, a very sturdy ukulele. No scratches or markings. Some of the side-of-fretboard white painted-on fret markings have rubbed off, didn't matter to me because I don't use them, yet they can easily be painted back on. Good intonation.

Case included. has slight tear in fabric, although it does not affect its function whatsoever.

Here is a video of myself playing the ukulele in concert. Any pitch problems were from me bending a string too much. Stays in tune very well, even with my rather heavy style of playing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPQZ53eS6I

Asking for $130, free shipping.
7 day cash refund, buyer pays shipping

Attachments

• 0515002110..jpg
    0515002110..jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi, glad you found a buyer. Would you mind sharing what you upgraded to and how it compares? Also, I was wondering what strings you had on the KA-CE.

Thanks!

I upgraded to a Lanikai SM-CE, which was about $350. The Kala had aquila strings on it.

In comparison to the Kala, the lanikai is a bit smaller for a concert. It's not as loud as the Kala and it's a little quieter in in the bass, which felt odd to me at first. Although its a bit quieter, the notes ring out longer and it feels like a more solid instrument. It sounds amazing through an amp, whereas the Kala sounded a bit muddy to me. Intonation is great, finish is great, and I was especially pleased with the wood. It looked much better than the pictures i had seen. The kala sounded best when strummed rather firmly, in contrast to the lanikai which responds well to any technique. On the Kala it was difficult to play softly because the low notes would stand out.

Overall I'm glad I made the purchase, and I am simultaneously glad I could pass on a great mid-ish range ukulele to another player. It served me well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom