Do your animals get mad when you play too much?

Link

Reaction score
This is knows as Bean's "STFU" face..

101127742.jpg

Do your animals react the same?

Hey Link - couldn't see your picture but my dog Bobbie used to run and hide whenever i picked up the guitar or uke - great for the self esteem! I changed her behaviour by giving her treats (called 'Good boy' biscuits in our house) - now no matter how bad I play she's sitting there with stars in her eyes!:love: cheers, Leigh

My cats get fed up with the uke-ing after a while and try to jump up on my lap...I think they get jealous! Piano seems to bother them more, though, if I play a bit over and over they'll start yelling. It's funny, though, they tend to cry between pieces as if they know I'll ignore them otherwise. It's really cute.

My dog really enjoys music. And when I play, he tends to find a spot at my feet to curl up and listen and doze off. He's been known to join in when I'm playing the blues on electric guitar. He'll sit there looking off quite intently like he's trying to think of the right words and then he'll throw in a verse and then look at me for approval to see if I liked it. It's all very cute.

No, but my dog gets upset when i play the harmonica. I think it's a frequency thing. Hurts her ears. I've had dogs in the past that howled along with harp.

I Play sitting on my front porch a lot, and my australian shepherd Molly sidles up to me, takes a sidelong weary look at me as to say, oh no, here we go again, then lays down at my feet and goes to sleep. So much for how exciting my playing is :) :) What would we do without our non judging pets. Happy strumming and picking!! Lozark

Our hound-Lab mix, Hank, tells me when he thinks I've played long enough by putting his head under my left arm and nudging it up. He's usually OK for a while if I give him a few minutes of quality head scratch time before I go back to playing.

My dog doesn't care what I do. I can pick her up on my shoulders and hold her like a small lamb or goat and play the ukulele simultaneously. She isn't exactly... disagreeable when it comes to me manipulating her. Sometimes, when I'm playing, I think she legitimately enjoys it because when I stop playing... she looks at me and makes a displeased sound. It could be one or two things really...

1) Why did you stop playing? don't stop
2) I wish you stopped playing earlier! :D

Most of our pets have no opinion, but we have one very needy cat that crawls all over my shoulders whenever I attempt anything that doesn't involve him. I discovered, to my own considerable pain, that chunking makes him flinch.

My Koi seem to like it, especialy traditional Hawaiian mele's. But maybe it's just because I like those best, and they're just hoping some food will fall out of the soundhole!

My Koi seem to like it, especialy traditional Hawaiian mele's. But maybe it's just because I like those best, and they're just hoping some food will fall out of the soundhole!

Does it prompt any synchronized swimming?

Yes, my horse tries to eat me.

Hahahaha. That's terrific. So much for trying to find a place with good acoustics, eh? (Next time, try wearing clothes that don't smell like apples ;).)

Most of our pets have no opinion, but we have one very needy cat that crawls all over my shoulders whenever I attempt anything that doesn't involve him.

I have an old, incredibly needy cat, too. He'll bite me if I don't pay enough attention to him, and if I spend too much time with my instruments, he gets ticked off. Otherwise, he doesn't really get bothered if I play (unless I'm being really irritating with one of my flutes or my harmonica, or if I'm making a bajillion mistakes). On the other hand, if my dad plays my guitar, the cat gets miffed very quickly (my dad can only play the chords for "House of the Rising Sun", and anything else he tries to play sounds awful, especially since he's tone-deaf and re-tunes all my strings so that they're kind of sharp). The other cat is oblivious to everything, and my dog just dozes off.

I had a dog that would howl when I played a specific note on my tuba (in high school, years ago) and my cat bites my elbow if I play the harmonica. The uke provokes no reaction.

I have one cat, Creampuff the Ragdoll, who likes to climb up on the couch and listen when I play "Paris Nocturne." She seems to think it is her personal serenade. Other songs don't seem to have much of an effect on her, but she seems to love this one for some reason.

Top Bottom