PDA

View Full Version : Do your animals get mad when you play too much?

Link
05-15-2010, 07:18 PM
This is knows as Bean's "STFU" face..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/101127742.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1273988080&Signature=EnON8kuEVyiF3p6zQfoZRBCYhkk%3D

Do your animals react the same?

Leigh
05-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Hey Link - couldn't see your picture but my dog Bobbie used to run and hide whenever i picked up the guitar or uke - great for the self esteem! I changed her behaviour by giving her treats (called 'Good boy' biscuits in our house) - now no matter how bad I play she's sitting there with stars in her eyes!:love: cheers, Leigh

Vindelanda
05-15-2010, 08:54 PM
My cats get fed up with the uke-ing after a while and try to jump up on my lap...I think they get jealous! Piano seems to bother them more, though, if I play a bit over and over they'll start yelling. It's funny, though, they tend to cry between pieces as if they know I'll ignore them otherwise. It's really cute.

Dane
05-15-2010, 08:59 PM
My cat get's pretty mad when he comes and sits on my lap, then I grab my uke and start playing. My dogs don't even pay attention, I can't even startle them with a loud random strum or anything.....

JCMcGee
05-15-2010, 11:49 PM
nah....sometimes they join in:

El:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erkUjkoAIIg&feature=related

Becca:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3j5ipRmUE

Clare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLspOGchog

johncaudrey
05-16-2010, 12:01 AM
My cat likes to come and sit on my music/words while I am trying to play. I am sure it's because he likes my playing!

KevinV
05-16-2010, 12:12 AM
My dog really enjoys music. And when I play, he tends to find a spot at my feet to curl up and listen and doze off. He's been known to join in when I'm playing the blues on electric guitar. He'll sit there looking off quite intently like he's trying to think of the right words and then he'll throw in a verse and then look at me for approval to see if I liked it. It's all very cute.

ichadwick
05-16-2010, 01:14 AM
No, but my dog gets upset when i play the harmonica. I think it's a frequency thing. Hurts her ears. I've had dogs in the past that howled along with harp.

lozarkman
05-16-2010, 02:20 AM
I Play sitting on my front porch a lot, and my australian shepherd Molly sidles up to me, takes a sidelong weary look at me as to say, oh no, here we go again, then lays down at my feet and goes to sleep. So much for how exciting my playing is :) :) What would we do without our non judging pets. Happy strumming and picking!! Lozark

SailQwest
05-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Our cat loves when we play ukulele. She thinks we're serenading her, and she will hang around listening for hours. But...if I start playing harmonica she stalks off.

darkwater
05-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Our hound-Lab mix, Hank, tells me when he thinks I've played long enough by putting his head under my left arm and nudging it up. He's usually OK for a while if I give him a few minutes of quality head scratch time before I go back to playing.

specialmike
05-16-2010, 03:52 AM
My dog doesn't care what I do. I can pick her up on my shoulders and hold her like a small lamb or goat and play the ukulele simultaneously. She isn't exactly... disagreeable when it comes to me manipulating her. Sometimes, when I'm playing, I think she legitimately enjoys it because when I stop playing... she looks at me and makes a displeased sound. It could be one or two things really...

1) Why did you stop playing? don't stop
2) I wish you stopped playing earlier! :D

austin1
05-16-2010, 06:06 AM
Yes, my horse tries to eat me. Case in point (attack comes around 1:50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFsstMbODHk

retrozombi
05-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Most of our pets have no opinion, but we have one very needy cat that crawls all over my shoulders whenever I attempt anything that doesn't involve him. I discovered, to my own considerable pain, that chunking makes him flinch.

kenikas
05-16-2010, 07:59 AM
My Koi seem to like it, especialy traditional Hawaiian mele's. But maybe it's just because I like those best, and they're just hoping some food will fall out of the soundhole!

KevinV
05-16-2010, 08:51 AM
My Koi seem to like it, especialy traditional Hawaiian mele's. But maybe it's just because I like those best, and they're just hoping some food will fall out of the soundhole!

Does it prompt any synchronized swimming?

alicecat
05-16-2010, 10:08 AM
It's funny, though, they tend to cry between pieces as if they know I'll ignore them otherwise. It's really cute.

Of course they do know, they understand more things than a lot of people imagine...

StereoJoker
05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes, my horse tries to eat me.

Hahahaha. That's terrific. So much for trying to find a place with good acoustics, eh? (Next time, try wearing clothes that don't smell like apples ;).)

Most of our pets have no opinion, but we have one very needy cat that crawls all over my shoulders whenever I attempt anything that doesn't involve him.

I have an old, incredibly needy cat, too. He'll bite me if I don't pay enough attention to him, and if I spend too much time with my instruments, he gets ticked off. Otherwise, he doesn't really get bothered if I play (unless I'm being really irritating with one of my flutes or my harmonica, or if I'm making a bajillion mistakes). On the other hand, if my dad plays my guitar, the cat gets miffed very quickly (my dad can only play the chords for "House of the Rising Sun", and anything else he tries to play sounds awful, especially since he's tone-deaf and re-tunes all my strings so that they're kind of sharp). The other cat is oblivious to everything, and my dog just dozes off.

Pondoro
05-16-2010, 03:04 PM
I had a dog that would howl when I played a specific note on my tuba (in high school, years ago) and my cat bites my elbow if I play the harmonica. The uke provokes no reaction.

wickedwahine11
05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
I have one cat, Creampuff the Ragdoll, who likes to climb up on the couch and listen when I play "Paris Nocturne." She seems to think it is her personal serenade. Other songs don't seem to have much of an effect on her, but she seems to love this one for some reason.

jungleturtle
05-16-2010, 05:53 PM
I have a little instrument called a melodica that's like a miniature piano keyboard that you blow into like a flute or clarinet. It has a very nice sound; my wife loves it. But for some reason, whenever I play it my cat will sit there and meow at me over and over for ten minutes or more in an angry tone!

kenikas
05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Does it prompt any synchronized swimming?
No signs of that yet, but some of their fin movements remind me of Hula Kahiko!

phanzo
05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
My dog loves it when I play (or at least he doesnt hate it :D), but my brother's dog will run upstairs and hide under the bed as soon as I hit a note. So strange. She has done it every time since the day I unwrapped my first uke, which my brother gave to me as a gift. And she's a tough dog too, a pit bull mix, who is as loving as can be, but won't hesitate to bite and intruders head off (assuming the intruder isnt wielding a ukulele :D)