Zyliss Vise Replica

Steiner

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these?

Mr Strong Clamping System

And if someone in the UK would be willing, I might be interested in funding a purchase of one of these and the cost of shipping it to me in the US. There's nothing like this for sale around here and I can't direct ship it to the US from the UK QVC site. I could just do it using a paypal transaction if anyone has a paypal account.

Anyone tried one of these?

Mr Strong Clamping System

And if someone in the UK would be willing, I might be interested in funding a purchase of one of these and the cost of shipping it to me in the US. There's nothing like this for sale around here and I can't direct ship it to the US from the UK QVC site. I could just do it using a paypal transaction if anyone has a paypal account.

That's funny, I saw this system on a US page and thought of making the reverse plea for buying and shipping. Seems more expensive than mr Strong, but the discount is hefty.

Sven

It sure looks like a Zyliss. There are always some of the originals on Ebay and if you watch you can pick one up at a reasonable price.
Funny, I bought one a few years ago but have never found the right spot for it. Some day.

I used to have 4 zyliss vices but sold 2. Buy one on ebay. I use the accessories to build other tools, have shortend one vintage vice and keep the 'modern' one for general work. They come up regularly on eBay and are indispensible for the craftsman whon needs a 'clear' bench.

I believe the Zyliss clone is made in the US but it is very expensive. Search under the name Gripmaster.

This Mr Strong is clearly a knock-off and looks well made - I suspect Chinese given the name :) The humour is unintended but often there. However, shipping to the US would be hideously expensive because of the wieght - it looks to be over 2kg in the box and anything over that weight is about £45 - £50 to ship. This would exchange out at around $60 - $75 depending on the markets. So look at the eBay option and set your budget at around $100.

Last edited:
I'm actually already bidding on the exact one you linked to, but I've been trying for a while to get one and I always get outbid at the last second. Hopefully one of these times I come out on top. This Mr Strong idea is my back-up plan.

The Zyliss vice is a good 'all rounder'. I've had loads of different vises (using the American spelling for you guys for more than obvious reasons :) ) but always come back to my piece of Swiss engineering. When I bought new 10 years ago it cost me $175 then!

Now that one is another real deal - doesn't have the quick release system of the updated models before they went out of production but definitely Swiss made and worth bidding on - it has a very retro 60's feel to it... I have two of this model, one I have cut down and use for metal work and stuff!

I've also been watching the online auctions for a good deal on a Zyliss. For now, I've come to love the Parrot vice. These vices are versatile and can be improved by making a pair of pad inserts that are lined with leather and pivot to allow the vice to safely and firmly hold a tapered surface like a neck. Good info on this vice can be found at:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/ProductReviews/Tools/ParrotVise/parrotvise.html

Last edited:
You will enjoy its versatility Chuck. Make sure the surface you attach it to is flat - Swiss engineering = no wriggle room!

Just found a Gripmaster for a decent price and got it. I hope they're as nicely made.

Top Bottom