Hawaiian Grammar

pulelehua

Reaction score
When I got my ukulele, I decided I would start writing some etudes, as a way of finding my way around the instrument. With my love of languages and blind ignorance as my guides, I decided I would give them Hawaiian titles.

So, the 3rd is finished, and it actually involves grammar. I think it should be called Mahalo Pokiki, but I don't know if I need a preposition or something. It's a sort of Iberian flavoured tune, and the title should mean "Thanks to the Portuguese settlers on Oahu" (who started this whole mess, of course).

So, for those out there who are much wiser than me, can you help?

Mahalo!

I'm not well versed in the Hawaiian language however there are a few others who are. Send a PM to 1014 and he should be able assist you. I think it should be Pukikī (Portuguese).

"Mahalo Popoki", which would mean "thank you, cat."....
I'm not one for naming inanimate objects, but in my house full of cats, that phrase might find a home...

Maybe Mahalo Popoki could be the sequel... Thanks, Paul.

Itsme, yes, of course I'll share them. I've only got it in notation at the moment, as my software at home doesn't handle ukulele tab. So (this is the boring bit), I've exported it to MIDI, imported it into Sibelius 6 at work, and am now cleaning up the tab, as it never knows where to play half the notes, or how to write half the accidentals. It means well, I'm sure.

I've also never put anything onto YT, but I'm hoping to do that. Maybe some time next month. Just had a baby (my wife did, technically), but June at work is pretty light, as it's exam season, and the boys are mostly on study leave.

Will definitely jump up and down on the forum when I get something posted.

Thanks for the interest!

Top Bottom