Updated ukulele site

ichadwick

Reaction score
I just posted the first version of my updated ukulele site:
www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/
Still have some things to clean up and rewrite on it, but I would appreciate any comments or suggestions from the UU crowd...

I would make the link to the sheet music more obvious. I found it on the "Uke home" pull down under "songs and music" because I knew to look for it, but others may not notice it there. I think your music collection is one of the things that makes the site truely unique, it is a time capsule of uke history. It should have a more prominent presence on the home page. Maybe it would boost the DVD sales as well. Just my opinion.

Thanks. I'll do some tweaking to make it mroe obvious. I'm trying to get moved to a less customer-hostile server and plan to post the vintage music online again on my new server, so I don't want to make too much of a fuss about it yet. I plan to update that page too, in the near future.

In the Vintage Ukulele section, in the "Caveat" section, I think in the second sentence ("There pieces that may be considered offensive today... "), the word "There" is supposed to be "They're" (i.e., "they are"). Very cool site, BTW.

Last edited:
Hi Ian
Your site is one of the best out there! I have a small suggestion on your banner. "The Jumping Flea" would be easier to read if you had a glow or drop shadow on it, to help it stand out from the busy background. It is legible as it is, but for a title, it could be stronger. I know you might be limited in the fonts you have, but you might think about another font. There is nothing wrong with the font you have, except it has been overused so much that it loses some of it's native character due to overuse in diner's menu design and low end graphic design. Below is a sample in HansHand, with a little bit of a stroke added. If you like this, I can try and give it to you in a form you can use.

Thanks for mentioning my Uke Leash, even though you haven't received it yet!
–Lori

Attachments

• the-jumping-flea&#4.jpg
    the-jumping-flea&#4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 7
All suggestions appreciated and when I get home and have time (tomorrow morning) I'll go over them all and look at it more critically.
Cheers
ian

Small update to header image to make it clearer, and a few minor fixes to type and style. Have to next update the vintage music page and my entire harmonica review pages, too.

Small update to header image to make it clearer, and a few minor fixes to type and style. Have to next update the vintage music page and my entire harmonica review pages, too.
Nice update to the banner. Good choice on the new font, and the drop shadow works well.
–Lori

Maybe some section titles within each part. I read about pickups and would have liked a clearer distinction between active and passive.

This is really a backhanded compliment. You've got LOTS of information. It's just not always clear how to get at the bits you want. It's more the kind of site you visit when you have plenty of time. It would be nice to quickly pick something from the menu then go to the subsection you want.

As I say, you've got lots of wonderful stuff. I like the informal tone. It's a bit like you're hanging out in the lounge, staring at the ukuleles on the wall, patting the cat...

Maybe some section titles within each part. I read about pickups and would have liked a clearer distinction between active and passive.
Thanks for the kind words. I redid the section on pickups, breaking the material out more clearly and adding some to make it easier to understand (I hope). I'll look at the other sections for similar opportunities. In part because it was cut-and-paste from my old page, some pieces got shuffled in the final mix. I appreciate your comments to help me locate the murky areas and clean it up.

:music: I want to thank you for putting up such a great site! I know it is a lot of effort, but it really helps the ukulele community. Your site was the first one I found that offered the information I wanted when I started getting interested in the ukulele. It was just what I needed, when I needed it. It was wonderful over a year ago, when I first found it, and it is even better now.

Sincerely, Lori

Thanks, Lori. I appreciate your kind words. There's still a lot to do, of course, and I add to it or tweak it almost daily. Working on a ukulele anatomy page right now.

On another note, the Uke Leash just arrived in the mail an hour ago. I've been busy doing some housework, but I managed to slip it onto my Kala and take it for a spin around the dining room. Works like a charm! I haven't tried all the components, nor have I tried it on other ukes, but what I've seen works beautifully. Will spend more time with it on other ukes this weekend, and post my updated notes online.

Just a thought: I got the 'medium' size, I believe. I hadn't though much about how I hold the uke, but with a strap, I hold it much lower than without one. So I'd suggest you might consier adding another 6 or 8 inches of strap to the length so it doesn't cramp the player's style. Or sell one size (large), but add a second buckle to tuck the excess into.

Thanks, Lori. I appreciate your kind words. There's still a lot to do, of course, and I add to it or tweak it almost daily. Working on a ukulele anatomy page right now.

On another note, the Uke Leash just arrived in the mail an hour ago. I've been busy doing some housework, but I managed to slip it onto my Kala and take it for a spin around the dining room. Works like a charm! I haven't tried all the components, nor have I tried it on other ukes, but what I've seen works beautifully. Will spend more time with it on other ukes this weekend, and post my updated notes online.

Just a thought: I got the 'medium' size, I believe. I hadn't though much about how I hold the uke, but with a strap, I hold it much lower than without one. So I'd suggest you might consier adding another 6 or 8 inches of strap to the length so it doesn't cramp the player's style. Or sell one size (large), but add a second buckle to tuck the excess into.

Hi Ian
So glad the strap got there safely, and that you like it so far. There is a large size, which is 6 inches longer than the medium size. For those who need an extra long strap, I can make an extra large on request. I can go as long as anyone would need with the Polypro, but on the leather I am limited to 48 inches on the black, and 60 inches on the brown. That may change in the future as I work out finding new suppliers. For those who are on the tall side, and play their ukes low, extra length is needed. I could make a strap extension, but in most cases a longer strap would be neater. If you need a longer strap let me know! Or, I would be happy to make an extender, if you what to see how that works.
–Lori

Ian, the site looks great and is really informative. I looked at it in an earlier incarnation when I was first learning about ukuleles and found it to be a great resource.

Hi Ian
If you need a longer strap let me know! Or, I would be happy to make an extender, if you what to see how that works.
–Lori
Thanks again, Lori. Played with the strap a bit more last night and found that by adjusting both parts (head strap and shoulder strap) I had ample length. Works fine, don't need anything else. Will tinker with all the bits and pieces this weekend on different ukes. It's one of those counter-intuitive designs that at first seems like it won't work but when I put it on and play, it's great. I like having more freedom to move my hands and arms. Really admire your inventiveness.

BTW, I added a page on 'ukulele anatomy' yesterday. And I have a Kala U-bass on the way, so there will be a review of that shortly.

Thanks again, Lori. Played with the strap a bit more last night and found that by adjusting both parts (head strap and shoulder strap) I had ample length. Works fine, don't need anything else. Will tinker with all the bits and pieces this weekend on different ukes. It's one of those counter-intuitive designs that at first seems like it won't work but when I put it on and play, it's great. I like having more freedom to move my hands and arms. Really admire your inventiveness.

BTW, I added a page on 'ukulele anatomy' yesterday. And I have a Kala U-bass on the way, so there will be a review of that shortly.

Ian
Glad the strap is working!
I just took a look at the Ukulele Anatomy page. Very nice and clear. A great resource to get people up-and-running! The photo of the compensated bridge was was the only thing that might be tweaked. I couldn't see the angle clearly in that photo. Maybe show more landmarks on the uke, so you can see the relative angle, or draw a reference line indicating the perpendicular.
Looking at that page made me want to see another one that addresses the various 5, 6, and 8 string tunings. Or maybe that can be addressed in a paragraph. There is enough info on tuning that you could have a whole page just for that: standard, low g, slack key, double course strings, guitarlele, etc. The ukulele is a pretty deep subject, and it is a lot of fun!
–Lori

Nice work Ian!
I've been using your old site as one of my primary resources for uke info. The new look is great and easier to use with the pull-down menus. I did notice a small typo in the "Uke Home" pull-down. It says "Uke Anatony" rather than Anatomy.

Jamie
Maholo ULP1/VS
Santa Rosa Baritone
Kala Acacia Tenor
BluegrassUkes Walnut/Cedar Tenor (being shipped right now!!!)

Argh. Thanks. Will correct that today. Don't have spell-check on the menu system editor. No matter how many times I look at something...

Top Bottom