KALA Question...

uke552

Reaction score
I own a few and have played several Kala ukes and have always wondered....the label visible through the sound hole, in the bottom right corner, has three numbers (I have never seen more or less). Is this the production date? Example 905 (September 2005?)

Contact Kala through its website and ask them there. I've found the people at Kala to be very responsive.

Reactions: dow
I'm not sure what it is but I know it isn't the production date because I just got a Kala and it says 912...

I'm not sure what it is but I know it isn't the production date because I just got a Kala and it says 912...

Unless you have a Kala from the FUTURE!!!!! That would be so awesome!

My Kala Flame Maple Concert says - 712.

Thanks anyway all....now another sleepless night wondering...
I will contact Kala. I had yet to see a number mentioned above. Everything I have seen is 10 or less making me think it was month and year.

Thanks anyway all....now another sleepless night wondering...
I will contact Kala. I had yet to see a number mentioned above. Everything I have seen is 10 or less making me think it was month and year.

Let us know what they say. I have 3 Kalas and they are all under 10 as well, so I also assumed it was a date. Now I'm curious, but also kind of disappointed. I like knowing the dates of things!

I heard from Mike at Kala. He said that the numbers are "production date numbers." For example 809 would have been produced in August 2009.

Very interesting! Ive got 905 here...

Wow..........you really do have one from the future.

Wow..........you really do have one from the future.

Yes, very interesting.....now we have to consider two questions. One - Our fellow uker's with the futuristic numbers on their Kala's are really aliens. Two - Did they come in peace? :eek:

So mine is 712, that means Dec 07?

What happens for '10 and up? They go 4 digits?

Cheers,
Skottoman

Makes sense. They would have had to do that for ukes made in October thru December if everyone's original assumptions were correct anyway.

Well, sort of... Ukes made in '10 will start with "10". But ukes made in October thru December of '09 would be "910", "911" and "912". Remember the YEAR is first, then a 2-digit number for the month. So "912" would be December of '09, NOT September of 2012.

Last edited:
My Kala KA-T was purchased at the local music store in April of 2011 and has a number 1012, which means it was manufactured in December of 2010. These Aquila strings are original and holding up fine.

What about my Ubass acoustic spruce top, fretless? It has a double stamp, one below the other.

One line says KA-UBASSFL, the the "FL" being a little offline compared to the rest, like it was stamped later. Guessing FL means fretless.
Below that is 1107, and staggered down a little and to the right is 1992. As if the 1992 were a subscript. Maybe it's a July 2011 build, and the 1992 means...??

Top Bottom