how to play Em/D

chelavnzuo

Reaction score
I know this means that an Em chord being played with a D in the bass, but still hav no clue on how to actually play it on the ukulele.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Play a regular G major chord shape, if you are in High G tuning. Thats the beauty of the Uke.

These are called slash chords. Search on 'slash'.

The UU search engine is spotty, you may do better with Google.com, use:
site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum slash

What is the progression that the Em/D fits in to? There are a couple things you can do. If you are playing in a group let the Bass player take care of the slash notes and you just play the Em chord. If you are playing solo and have a progression like Em / Em+7 / Em7 / Em6 / or written with slash chords Em, Em/D#, Em/D, Em/C# play 0432, 0332, 0232, 0132. Playing it finger style sounds better than just strumming it so you can hear the moving notes in the progression.

I think 0202 is your best best. That way you preserve all the notes in the Em chord, and add a bass D.

What Thumper said is correct. This gives you the notes of the Em chord with the lowest note as a D on the 3rd string. It doesn't really work as well for a uke tuned with low G however. If tuned to low G, play 7777.

On guitar Em/D is like an Em7 with no 5th or 6th string. so it's d g b e (all open strings 1 through 4 on guitar)
on uke, you can re-arrange these into an Em7 playing 0202 and it gives all the notes -
just the regular Em7 for me.

Top Bottom