Hawaiian music 'ukulele classes - San Francisco and San Jose

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hawaiian music and 'ukulele expert Saichi Kawahara (who received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2010 Hawaiian Music Awards in March) teaches ukulele classes in a small class setting. The next 8-week sessions in San Francisco begin on June 14, 2010. The basic class (Mondays, 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.) covers basic ‘ukulele chords, vamps, strum patterns and other techniques and singing a few Hawaiian songs. The intermediate class (Mondays, 8:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.) builds on the basic class and covers learning more advanced chords and using them in more complex music. The San Jose beginner and intermediate classes meet on Thursdays and the next 8-week sessions begin on June 17.

I have no financial interest in these classes. I'm posting about them after having taken the beginning class in SF twice (learning to sing and play at the same time was difficult for this former clarinetist, and I'm moving on to the intermediate class in June) because these classes don't get a lot of publicity, I've learned a lot from taking them, and it would be great to see more Bay Area 'ukulele players taking advantage of this wonderful resource. For more information, visit http://www.kapalakiko.org/ and click on the "classes" link.

I'm posting here instead of in the regional board because there's more traffic here than there. I apologize if posting here is a breach of UU forum protocol or etiquette.

Cool! I wish I lived closer. I've been a fan of Kapalakiko Band and Saichi for years, it would be great to get in person instruction.

Thanks for posting this. Now I need to see if I can attend either. :)

Depending on where you're located (NorCal) and the amount of interest generated by the classes, you might wanna inquire if he can come to you. I know he has done it here in the Sacramento area. Sorry, can't provide you with any more details.

Saichi offers several classes throughout the week and at several locations.
San Francisco, San Jose, El Cerrito, Sacremento
Classes are in blocks of (8), very inexpensive, songs of hawai'i, stories, good potlucks, great workshops, family atmosphere
www.Kapalakiko.org
(415) 468-7125

Last edited:
When's the next round of classes starting up?

Top Bottom