Did I really need this? (Do you really need two kidneys?)

haole

Reaction score
Had a blast at NY Uke Fest. I knew the UAS would be especially bad because there aren't too many opportunities to play unusual ukes in these parts.

From a strictly materialistic standpoint, the highlights of this weekend were (in no particular order) Mya-Moé, Maui Music, the U-Bass, great deals on factory second Flukes and Fleas, and dirt-cheap Aquila strings (3 for $10? I'll take 9!). Knew I'd have to leave the building with a uke, but doing so would probably mean selling off my KoAloha tenor to break even and make room in my house. I was juggling a Mya-Moé mango soprano, a (heavily discounted!) Maui Music 6-string tenor, and a mahogany U-Bass in my brain the whole time, and promised myself that I would unload the KoAloha on UU or FMM as soon as I got home in order to feel less guilty and irresponsible about buying an expensive uke when I barely make enough money to pay basic expenses.

Yesterday I was ready to pull the trigger. Gordon and Char of Mya-Moé (absolutely wonderful people!) had left already, and I had talked myself out of buying another soprano when I already have a Kamaka that I love anyway. The U-Bass was tempting, because it's so unusual and I love the way it plays and sounds. But it's pricey for a made-in-China. Did I really want to ditch a really nice, practical 4 string tenor like a Koaloha in order to buy a somewhat less-versatile 6-string?

Yeah.

I couldn't put this ukulele down. Sounds like nothing else, has a neat art-deco look to it, great neck feel, and best of all, half price due to finish-checking that you can't see from 3 feet away! I bet I annoyed the crap out of Peter Lieberman by constantly showing up at his booth to play stuff, but I blame him for making such awesome ukes and for bringing a wonderful assistant to his table. ;) Ultimately I decided that KoAloha will be around for a long time so I can always get another, but the deal on this 6-string is too good to pass up. I went to an ATM to get a big fistful of cash as soon as possible so I wouldn't have time to talk myself out if this. By the end of the day, it was mine.

IMG_1512-1.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

This morning I picked up my KoAloha to be sure I'm making the right decision. And it turns out, the only thing I really don't like about the KoAloha is the action. And that's what, a $50 fix at most? Screw it, I'm keeping the KoAloha AND the Maui Music and selling off some guitars and amps as damage control instead!

Anyone want a 100-watt Marshall? D:

Edit: Yes, videos are coming soon! I haven't been this inspired to create and record in a LONG time.

Oh yeah, and I'm not done with UAS. I still want a Mya-Moé. And then Spooner showed up and added fuel to the fire by busting out a Moore Bettah custom. And my love for the Pineapple Sunday is still there too. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

Last edited:
I was at the Ukefest, too - I think you'll remember me. I'm glad you picked up that uke, it was really beautiful!

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! Pretty! Out of curiosity, how much is "half-price"? Still a LOT, I'm guessing....

Hey, sometimes you just have to go for it. You can eat next week.

Hey congarats bruddah!
congarats.gif

I knew you were hopped up on that one.
I am pretty hopped up on Peter's 6 strings too.
They're gorgeous and they sound GREAT!
My UAS has been in check for awhile but his 6 strings have it flared up sumn fierce again.

I'm glad you went home with it AND got to keep your KoAloha.
Enjoy!! :shaka::shaka::shaka:

Top Bottom