Does using a strap & tying the cord to the headstock actually affect the Uke's neck?

happyslappysoong

Reaction score
Does using a strap & tying the cord to the headstock actually affect the Uke's neck?

As the title suggests.

I recently accquired a new Uke and was thinking about using a strap for this one. I dont want to drill any strap pins in, so i was thinking of doing it the old fashioned way and tying the cord off the strap to the headstock. I've read places that say that this method could warp the shape of neck, or something...

yes, no? :confused:

I have never heard of that. I doubt you could warp the neck by just tying a strap on it.

get a 'Uke Leash' off 'Lori' (uu name), there pretty cheap, look the business, and well made, it sounds like exactly what you want, and is adjustable. A lot of thought went into the materials also to ensure no rubbing would damage the finish on the uke.

As for warping the neck, I think thats people being well over paranoid.... no, there is no way it would warp the neck.

http://www.ukeleash.com/

Last edited:
As the title suggests.
I've read places that say that this method could warp the shape of neck, or something...
Places are wrong. The uke is too light for a head strap to affect the neck. I use one on several ukes, have used them on much heavier guitars too. Never been a problem.

Checks out the uke leash as an idea for a new kind of strap. It's very cool.

I'm with Ian on this. It's highly unlikely that it would warp the neck or affect the instrument adversely.

It's like those players who tell me I shouldn't be hanging my guitars by their necks. Hello? Those friggin' STRINGS are already pulling the neck and top with 90-to-150 pounds of tension and you're worried about the 7-pound weight of my guitar as it hangs by the neck?

Nope. I do it all the time. I have one strap that I switch around to all of my ukes. I've yet to have an issue.

I have a very old guitar that suffers slight intonation issues when I tie a strap to the neck... It's a heavy arch-top body and a thin tenor neck with no truss-rod. Unless you are talking about extremes like that, or unless your uke is poorly constructed, it shouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand, a strap button is not only cheap, but the hole is tiny and it keeps the strap away from your hand up in the first position. I can't think of a reason to not just pop one on (other than the fact that I have yet to meet a uke I need a strap for).

Just have a pro do the install. You need two strap buttons. Anything less is uncomfortable.

Thanks for the all clear guys! Contemplating drilling a strap pin hole for myself now! lol....hmm...
Before you drill a hole in your ukelele, have you considered using a soundhole strap? It goes round your neck and a thin cord comes under the waist of the guitar to a small hook which hooks into the soundhole. I made one myself using a bootlace, a strap and a piece of clear plastic from an identity card holder. It is small, light, does the job great and does not damage your instrument. Photos attached.
Penster

Attachments

• Ukestrap1..jpg
    Ukestrap1..jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Ukestrap2..jpg
    Ukestrap2..jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Ukestrap3..jpg
    Ukestrap3..jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks for the all clear guys! Contemplating drilling a strap pin hole for myself now! lol....hmm...
STOP! PUT DOWN THAT DRILL!!

Before you do this, check the balance of the ukulele.

One of the benefits of playing with a strap attached to the headstock is that you can keep the neck angled UP and STEADY. This means your left hand (I assume you fret with your left) no longer has the double-duty of fretting and supporting the neck. This will increase your versatility.

If the ukulele is heavier towards the neck, then drilling a hole into the heel may only cause the neck to dip down when it isn't supported by the left hand. Your right hand is still more free (since you no longer need to cradle the ukulele in the crook of your arm) but your left hand gains nothing.

If you're ukulele is well-balanced or body-heavy (usually applies to ukes that have amps and batteries), then drill away! :)

UKE LEASH!

Honestly, before you clip anything to the soundhole or (*shudder*) drill holes into your uke, get a leash and try it out, it's a cool accessory and I am so tickled with mine I'm getting another strap or two in leather and putting headstock straps (sold separately) on another three ukes so I don't have to swap that part, just unsnap the leash from one uke and pick up the next and snap on the leash. It really does help keep me more relaxed in my posture and lighter in my touch, and thus more adventurous in what I try to play, especially when reaching up the neck at speed. (Not that I have any speed but at least now I am trying, lol)

You could always try drilling holes in the back and attaching a four point harness. With the right setup you could attach a lazy susan to it as well and half way through a song hit a break and spin it around on your belly!!!

Honestly, though: A basic understanding of where the sound resonates in the guitar or ukulele reveals the simple fact that the traditional positioning of strap buttons does extremely little (to almost none) to affect the sound produced. You actually do more with your body to hold the instrument against your belly. Installing these are fairly easy to do if you are aware of where braces and such are in the tail piece. If you are at all questioning your ability to do it, don't. Get an expert to do it for cheep (most guitar stores have a luthier and they don't charge a crap load for this kind of work).

Also, I agree the the previous posts about the weight of the instrument. Unless you are playing a heavy guitar (and I mean heavier than a western dreadnought design), then you are not likely to produce and problems long term (unless you are talking thirty years of constant use long term).

~DB

I Vote for The Thong!!!

Not a chance of that happening. Personally, I prefer a button behind the neck heel because I wrap my thumb around the neck/headstock a lot and straps or strings get in the way.

:agree: Certain chords tend to put my hands where a strap secured behind the nut would get in the way. It's also possible that someone leaning heavy on a neck-strapped uke could change the intonation. For these reasons, I prefer a uke thong--one of those straps that hook into the sound hole and then hangs it all off from around your own neck. Classical and mariachi guitarists will sometimes use these if they have to stand. I bought mine from Seattle's Dusty Strings.

--Dave E.

Before you drill a hole in your ukelele, have you considered using a soundhole strap? It goes round your neck and a thin cord comes under the waist of the guitar to a small hook which hooks into the soundhole. I made one myself using a bootlace, a strap and a piece of clear plastic from an identity card holder. It is small, light, does the job great and does not damage your instrument. Photos attached.
Penster

Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!

:agree: Certain chords tend to put my hands where a strap secured behind the nut would get in the way. It's also possible that someone leaning heavy on a neck-strapped uke could change the intonation. For these reasons, I prefer a uke thong--one of those straps that hook into the sound hole and then hangs it all off from around your own neck. Classical and mariachi guitarists will sometimes use these if they have to stand. I bought mine from Seattle's Dusty Strings.

--Dave E.

I place mine between the front and back tuners rather than the nut to stop it getting in the way. It also reduces shaving because its not rubbing up against that outward curve of the headstock at the nut.

Not sure about sending the intonation off by heavily leaning against a uke... without it being very delibrate, I sometimes do neck bending as part of the music, but accidently would seem impossible unless your thinking off something I've missed??

Uke Leash goes between front and rear tuners. No rubbing. No soundhole clips. Pretty colors! I got mine here.

I just carved a hook for the soundhole last night. Made it out of Bermuda cedar and... well... went a little mental with it. I was just going to do a prototype-y kinda thing, real rough, just to see if it would work. Ended up an hour later with, if I do say so myself, a rather elegant teardrop shape, sanded smooth (500grit, then steel wool to buff, then polished with a little wax to make it glow), tied to a crocodile hide strap (pirated off an old belt).

Learned something. The interior lip needs to be a bit longer than the 3/16" that I did it, as it needs it to hold firm.
Might carve a new one tonight. It was fun!

The nice thing is that it can also work like a leash (not intentional, but a lovely surprise!) if you hook it to the back of your belt.

As a beginner, I have to say...

I didn't understand just how much of a difference a strap makes.

Holy moley! My left hand pretty much doubled in speed!

Accuracy was lost and the new freedom meant I wasn't pressing down hard enough, but I'm sure a couple hours of practicing and I'll be back to my regular (bad) level.

And strumming, always a problem for me, was MUCH easier!

I am TOTALLY going to be experimenting with making different straps and stuff. The difference is amazing.

Top Bottom