First time playing in public

csibona

Reaction score
My wife and I are playing for the preschoolers at her school today as they get ready to graduate to kindergarten. We are playing two simple songs: "Froggie Went a Courtin'" and "Home on the Range." It's our first time playing in front of an audience. Wish us luck, we're gonna need it...

-Chris

Have Fun! Preschoolers should not be much pressure...
I must admit though the only person I am not at all nervous playing in front of is my wife.

You guys are gonna do Great!

Both the kids and their parents will be on your side and really enjoy your efforts.

After this start, look out world, another ukulele duo.

Keep uke-in',

congrats and good luck!! i'm sure the kids will love it!

Have Fun! Preschoolers should not be much pressure...
I must admit though the only person I am not at all nervous playing in front of is my wife.

i'm actually more nervous playing in front of my wife than most people. lol

Break a leg. (not literaly).
Have fun and remember when little kids throw things they may not come in fast, but they do come in low.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. The big gig for the preschoolers went reasonably well. My wife said she didn't play well, but I didn't notice. I was only able to pay attention to my strumming. It was probably helpful to have two inexperienced people playing so one could cover for the other.

The great thing about playing for little children is they don't care about how slick & polished the performance is, they just love music for the sheer joy of it--wish we all did!

Funny thing about playing for people who want to be entertained, you tend to notice every mistake you make and they tend to notice how much they are enjoying the performance. Congrats on the performance and hope we get a new uker out of it.

What a great audience. I started playing ukulele for my kindergarten class. Kids are so non-critical. You could get up there and play one chord straight through and they would think that was the coolest thing. Congratulations on your debut!
Joe

That is so cool! Congrats on your first public performance. I have to tell you that preschoolers are curious about the ukulele. How I know this is because I am a preschool teacher not officially yet. You gave your best shot!

I would have liked to pass around a Makala Dolphin to the preschool children to allow them to play with an ukulele. I tried to give a preschooler a bit of a lesson one-on-one (not in this class but in my home) and it didn't go well. I showed Grey how to play a "C" but all he wanted to do was strum and move his fingers in random ways along the fretboard. I have a Mya-Moe so I didn't want to pass that around the classroom. I'll be more prepared if there is a next time.

Top Bottom