Eleuke SL

FromTheWayside

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I have a quick question about the Eleuke SL. Here's A Link

Is it really made of solid koa? It would blow me away if it was (Ko'olau tenor electric cutaways start at $900). I'm curious about the Jazz models as well...are they solid mahogany / rosewood?

Does it sound any good? I've heard stories both ways: both thatit sounds like a uke, and thatit sounds like a nylon-stringed guitar...I know with the electronics it could be both, but I just want to make sure.

Also, I know it just came out, but I can't find any videos of the thing for the life of me. If someone could post one, or share their experiences, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks all, and happy uke'n. :cool:

jazz eleuke

I have the rosewood tenor jazz. I'm just a beginner, but now I can use our amps.I'm having fun.

Fair question, that's a good slab of hard to get timber. Looking forward to the answer.

when i was doing some reading about before and after i bought mine, i found out the koa uke is not solid koa, it has koa over something else. i don't remember what tho, but it is solid.

the jazz models are solid mahog/rosewood. i have the rosewood jazz cutaway concert and i'm extremely pleased with my eleuke. i'm not sure if you're asking for videos of the koa or just eleukes. one good source of videos of eleukes is on the eleuke usa website.

as for how they sound, depending on how you have the tone nob, it sounds like most ukes plugged into an amp. it does have a sound all it's own (obviously) but it is close to a regular uke sound.

as for which wood sounds better, i'm not sure there's a difference. all their saddles are made of the same wood and the pickups are the same, so i'd assume they all sound the same. the 3 i've played all sounded the same.

It is a thin piece of Koa on the top. There is a little difference in the sound. It mainly has a lot to do with the body shape. The Jazz and SL style bodies have a lot more wood then the ones with huge holes cut into the shape. The ones with more wood have a fuller sound.

A few videos
eleukeusa just posted a link from the NY Uke Fest with links to videos of people playing the SL. I shot some stuff on my phone... and it looks and sounds like video shot on a phone, but here it is anyway.

when i was doing some reading about before and after i bought mine, i found out the koa uke is not solid koa, it has koa over something else. i don't remember what tho, but it is solid.

the jazz models are solid mahog/rosewood. i have the rosewood jazz cutaway concert and i'm extremely pleased with my eleuke. i'm not sure if you're asking for videos of the koa or just eleukes. one good source of videos of eleukes is on the eleuke usa website.

as for how they sound, depending on how you have the tone nob, it sounds like most ukes plugged into an amp. it does have a sound all it's own (obviously) but it is close to a regular uke sound.

as for which wood sounds better, i'm not sure there's a difference. all their saddles are made of the same wood and the pickups are the same, so i'd assume they all sound the same. the 3 i've played all sounded the same.

That makes sense. A solid-koa uke for under $300? As amazing as that would be, it just didn't add up price wise. Thanks for the rest of the info! I was looking for videos of the koa uke in particular, but more videos of the jazz model would be great as well. I will check out the eleuke website for more info, too. I'm also going to try and find a place where I can try one out in person; that would be great!

It is a thin piece of Koa on the top. There is a little difference in the sound. It mainly has a lot to do with the body shape. The Jazz and SL style bodies have a lot more wood then the ones with huge holes cut into the shape. The ones with more wood have a fuller sound.

A few videos
eleukeusa just posted a link from the NY Uke Fest with links to videos of people playing the SL. I shot some stuff on my phone... and it looks and sounds like video shot on a phone, but here it is anyway.

More links to check out, then! Thanks for the update. I figured if I was going to get an Eleuke, those models would have been the ones to consider.

Fair question, that's a good slab of hard to get timber. Looking forward to the answer.

I think this was answered in one of the other replies. :D

All the Eleukes are great looking ukes and are quite unique. I like the jazz myself and am thinking of jumping ship and selling my Soprano Mahogany 100 series in favor of a jazz or a Koa. We shall see. I get really attached to my ukuleles. The Jazz and Koa series have a lot more "solid" of a feel because their size, yet my soprano is so portable. I even brought it into my eye appointment the other day in a bag so if there was a long wait I could play it! It is so quiet when not plugged in, no one would know.

mim, you know the jazz are the best ;). the koa does look nice, tho.

fromthewayside, i forgot to put in my post that if/when you decide to buy an eleuke, buy from mim. she's great to work with and will give you a good deal!

Top Bottom