Let's Talk Tuners

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Opinions of tuners seem to be very subjective, much like everything else. I like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Clip-Tuner-Metr...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4a9affe76d (no affiliation). It is affordable, feature rich and on point. What are you guys using?

Also I was wondering... what if any real benefit is there to using a tuner with uke mode? I have one but I am not sure if the uke mode is a gimmick or really serves a purpose.

I use the chromatic tuner app on my iphone with my uke since it's always with me. It's actually pretty accurate. For my bass and guitar I use a Boss Chromatic tuner (about $80) I don't like the clip on models.

I have an intellitouch PT10 (http://www.tuners.com/pt10.asp) and an intelli IMT-500 (http://www.amazon.com/Intelli-IMT500-Chromatic-Digital-Strings/dp/B002Q0WSO8).

The changing colors on the PT10 works well with my guitars, but it doesn't like my uke. I get better results with the intelli IMT-500 on my uke.

I don't play anything but the uke, but I agree with you completely. It's way easier with the IMT-500. But then I also wonder if I'm getting a "better tune" with the other one.

I have the Intelli 500 too. Works fine for me. I've tested it along with a much more expensive Korg tuner, and it's good enough!

I have the Intelli 500 too. Works fine for me. I've tested it along with a much more expensive Korg tuner, and it's good enough!

Interesting point comparison. I have the Korg AW-2 and find it to be extremely accurate. Meanwhile, I have a friend who uses the Intelli IMT-500. I've borrowed it a few times for comparison purpose and was pleased for one main reason. When you're tuning up, the indicator needle moves in a smooth and steady manner. It doesn't bounce around as much as my Korg's indicator. I can't tell if that's a excessive sensitivity issue or nothing more than spazziness. However, when it comes down to flat-out accuracy, the jury is still out for me. They both seem to do a pretty good job in the end.

By the way, about a month ago, I came across some reviews on a bunch of digital tuners. The top two in accuracy among the clip-ons were the Korg AW-2 and the Intelli IMT-500. I'd suggest going with the one you can best afford. Oh, the Korg is only slightly less bulky and the internal light will turn itself off after a while.

--Dave E.

Lots of great input, thanx folks.

Another thing I have noticed through the years, whenever I get a new tuner... I always have to develop a feel for it. If that makes any sense.

I don't really care too much about tuners. I just want it more in tune than I could get it by ear. So I have a few Intelli IMT-500s. They're cheap, they work well, and I like them. Haven't really thought of buying any new ones since these haven't failed me yet.

I got the Planet Wave Head Stock for ukes and love it. I can also clip it on my belt loop when I have to...compact.

I just picked up one of these http://www.kalaukulele.com/Kala_Shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=44 At the NY Uke Fest. The tuner is really small which is nice when you are keeping it inside a compartment in a uke case. The thing I like best though is that the display black on a white background till the instrument is in tune, so it's a lot easier to see in bright conditions. I also like the fact that it shows the note really large cause my eyes are not what they used to be.

I've purchased a variety of tuners. I have a habit of giving them to friends that I jam with, and we like to keep one with each of our ukes. We always use the chromatic mode.

All of the tuners we've tried have worked well. Clip-on tuners are definitely my favorite, being the smallest and least sensitive to ambient noise. The ones with my "go-to" ukes are FZone FT-800 and Intelli IMT-500. We also keep an Eno ET-3000 in the cockpit, just in case.

I have the Intelli 500 too. Tuning by ear is so not my thing (although I'm sure it is a good skill)

Apparently I have the IMT-500 as well. I thought it had a different brand name on it, but the google results are identical to my tuner. Works great on my Fluke.

I recently, a month ago, purchased a Kala O2 clip on tuner, and think it is great. It is compact, clip on, easy to read, and seems to be very accurate. I have my piano tuned twice a year, and I have checked it against it, and it is dead on accurate. It was $20, and I am very satisfied with it. I am sure there are better, more accurate? tuners at higher prices, but for $20 this seems to a good buy. It also tunes to (C) Tenor, (D) Baritone, or Chromatic, which is a plus. Happy strumming and picking! Lozark

Top Bottom