Mighty Uke and James Hill

Raygf

Reaction score
I just got home from seeing the documentary "Mighty Uke" and James Hill in Silver Springs, MD. DVD release this fall. Get out there and see it if you can and never miss an opportunity to see James Hill perform. I won''t.
Regards,
Ray

Saw the movie earlier this year. Loved it too! Bought their cool tshirt! Can't wait for the DVD.

Living in Sydney, i have no chance of seeing a live screening of the doco. I cant wait for the dvd.

Mighty Uke is a FANTASTIC documentary and the co-creators are so kind. They really care about the uke.
James is so nice. I saw him at the NY Ukefest and he gave an amazing performance on Saturday.
I got his autograph and even got to noodle on his custom G-String uke for a little bit! Total class act.

I missed seeing the Mighty Uke this time around, but anything involving James Hill and Li'l Rev is going to be fantastic. I took James Hill's "Uke For Kids" workshop at NY Uke Fest and that alone was worth the price of a full festival pass.

in Maine 5/25

This is being shown in Portland, Maine, on Tuesday, May 25 at One Longfellow Square (Portland). I'm looking forward to it --- and am glad to know about the dvd release!

James came to Tacoma Park, MD last year and taught a workshop and performed a concert. What and evening. His teaching is superb. I look forward to the next opportunity to learn from him.
Regards,
Ray

James Hill is a "great teacher" and IMO the best living ukulele player. I agree with the notion that Jake is the "most influential" (an opinion that can be found on the Ukulele Hunt site). To cast James Hill (as it so often it happens, not necessarily in this thread) as "a great technical player" can too easily become one of the most left-handed compliments of all time. IMO, he's the total package, and his collaborations and solo performances demonstrate that and emphasize that...with heart. So does his teaching.

Yes, the official position is that "there's really no greatest player." Not trying to splice this thread to a previous one or start a doomed to be a closed thread. Just stating what I've come to conclude. BTW, too frequently Jake S. himself suffers at the hands of those who find "technical accomplishment" some sort of liability. James Hill proves that teaching is not simply for "those who cannot do."

Didn't Roy Smeck also give lessons?

BTW, not a "virtuosity only" kind of listener and find much instrumental stuff not on my daily diet. But artists like James Hill (and doesn't Hill also sing?) and Jake maintain a standard and reference. Let's admit it: much of our favorite stuff can be based on truly great chord bashing. But there's still room to recognize greatness, esp. in the sense of comprehesive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom