Cheep-o Build

BobN

Reaction score
I started working on a homemade banjo uke.

The rim is a scrap piece of PVC (SDR-35) with a wood veneer.

The PVC had an ID of 8", so I cut about an inch out of the circumference and pulled it together with a strap. Then I heated it to keep the shape with an OD of slightly less than 8". I attached a plywood head block at the joint with epoxy (JB weld) and screws.

The fretboard is walnut scrap. The rest of the wood is butternut.

I bought about $70 worth of parts from Elderly:
shoe brackets, hooks & nuts, skin head, and tuners.

Cutting a piece of bone for the nut:

I made the bridge out of walnut. Bridge and piece of bone:

I will probably have it together in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the idea on how to get the PVC the correct size. What did you heat it with?

Very innovative. I have often wondered where you get a bone big enough to cut saddles and nuts from it, and how you do it. Your picture of cutting out a slice of bone shows how it is done. My curiosity got the best of me and I found this article on how to prepare bone (or maybe better yet, how to buy it at the pet store):

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116635

Last edited:
I soak my bone in amonia... after I do the three boiling baths ( amonia-water/soap-water/water bring to boil then simmer/lowboil 30 minutes, allow to cool ) when dry I cut them into rough blanks and I give them a swim in ammonia for a week or two then into another ammonia bath for another week. Then when they're dry I give them a ten minute bath in peroxide before laying them outside on the picnic table in afternoon sun for the rest of the day. If you buy the big soup bones from the butcher be prepared to scrape forever the crud off of them with a stiff wire brush and scrapers whilst boiling.

The main thing is... if you leave any grease in the bone it will eventually leach into the wood... then into the glue joint... bad bad bad. Might be something to think about when pricing bone nuts and saddles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea on how to get the PVC the correct size. What did you heat it with?
After I cut out a 1" section, I pulled it close with a strap.
I heated the inside of the piece of pipe with a propane torch for a couple of minutes moving quickly.
After it was cool, it kept it's shape.
Green PVC sewer pipe is a little more flexible than schedule 40 white plastic. White plastic would probably work OK, but would be slightly harder to shape. Anywhere an 8" sewer main is being installed, there are plenty of small scrap pieces going into the trash.

The main thing is... if you leave any grease in the bone it will eventually leach into the wood... then into the glue joint... bad bad bad. Might be something to think about when pricing bone nuts and saddles.
That's a good point. I have a wood stove going in my kitchen all winter. I boil the bones continuously (changing water) for a few days. I use dish detergent. Alcohol would also work as a solvent for wax and oils instead of ammonia.

Bone is tough to work with and doesn't smell all that pleasant when it is being worked.
I cut a rough shape with a hacksaw, then use a wood rasp, files, sandpaper, and polish on a diamond honing block.

If I counted my labor, It would be cheaper to buy a used banjolele than to build one.

That's a good point. I have a wood stove going in my kitchen all winter. I boil the bones continuously (changing water) for a few days. I use dish detergent. Alcohol would also work as a solvent for wax and oils instead of ammonia.

Bone is tough to work with and doesn't smell all that pleasant when it is being worked.
I cut a rough shape with a hacksaw, then use a wood rasp, files, sandpaper, and polish on a diamond honing block.

If I counted my labor, It would be cheaper to buy a used banjolele than to build one.

Right on. I cook mine in the kitchen, not a very popular smell. Next time I'll probably do them in the dungeon.

I assembled it, but I can't play much on it yet. Here is a simple tune. It sounds like a banjo and is very loud:
http://www.archive.org/details/IWasBornAboutTenThousandYearsAgo

Banjo_Uke.JPG

Bob. That came out great. Looks and sounds really good. Hope you can bring it with you to the next meeting in Hanover. Music sheets for the song you did would be super too.

Top Bottom