What's "action"?

sukie

Aloha
UU VIP
Reaction score
I keep reading about "action". What is it? How do I know what it means to me and my Uke?

Thanks for your help:bowdown:

action is the distance from your strings to the fretboard.

If you hear rattling when u play a chord then most people will say check ur action becuz the strings may be too low and close to the fretboard.

I keep reading about "action". What is it?

Luckily here, it's a safe question to ask... But in those days about the birds and the bees, it'll receive a different and more socially-awkward response.

Anywho, if the action on a uke isn't right, you'll find it harder to press the strings down if the action is too high

also, if your action too high, the strings might be hard to hold down.

"But in those days about the birds and the bees, it'll receive a different and more socially-awkward response."

LOL:D

I remember those days. Yep, I was taking about my Uke!

Thanks for the help. I think I need to play another Uke to compare against mine. Although I did change strings recently and it's not all been for the better. It sounds prettier, but the noises it makes now...or could it just be me?:confused:

what kind of strings are they and what does the noise sound like? I think Aquila's have a tendency to make a noise, like that of a guitar string, when you glide your finger across the string.

Thanks for all the help you guys. Incredible!!!

U.J. -- A photo is impossible. I have enough trouble just posting. I'm 51, remember?:eek:

CMejilla -- I put on D'addario J53s. They sound way better than the original strings (no idea what they were). They sound nice for strumming, but I don't strum all that much. I can't sing so I'm working on fingerpicking. For finger picking they make too much noise. I think Valerie mentioned the same problems on another thread. Anyway, now I have a wicked buzzing on the e string. Also, when sliding around the fretboard there is a weird scratchy-type noise. My teacher said to rough up my callouses but I haven't done it yet. I'm ready to try Worths. I just can't figure out which ones.

If I'm really lucky I will see GX9901 on Sunday. If anybody can help me it's him! There is a Uke meeting on Sunday so I'll get to see (and hopefully try) some other Ukes. Then I can start my real education on all things Ukulele.

If you're looking into Worth Strings, there's a good group of players on the forums that swear by Worth Brown Strings. They are a medium tension set of strings which may be better fit than the Aquilas.

GX9901 can provide good insight if you do get to meet up. Hope everything works out!

what would the perfect action be on an ukulele?

is it supposed to be even or going slightly higher going down to the bridge.

if its supposed to be even ive been screwed!

lol

action is a preference. not everybody likes low action. higher action can get you more volume on a stringed instrument. lower action can make fretting strings easier and make for easier solo'ing. it's all up to your playing style.

on another note, this is the perfect action:

Action_Jackson_vid_folded.jpg

Last edited:
action is a preference. not everybody likes low action. higher action can get you more volume on a stringed instrument. lower action can make fretting strings either and make for easier solo'ing. it's all up to your playing style.

Vanity was so hot in that movie! Herion addict!

action is a preference. not everybody likes low action. higher action can get you more volume on a stringed instrument. lower action can make fretting strings easier and make for easier solo'ing. it's all up to your playing style.

lolz i prefer kung-fu movies myself

HIYEAYOIH!

(that is chuck norris in mid round house kick getting pimp slapped down by bruce lee.)

norris can suck my nut.

lol

what? i have nuts in the cupboard at home.........

Top Bottom