1st build (finally) done!

funaddict

Reaction score
Okay. I think I'm finally done with my first build. Everything built from scratch except strings, fretwire and tuners. Pretty much all scavenged/salvaged materials. Here's the rundown:
Top - redwood from salvaged balcony rail
Sides - curly maple board from a pallet laying around jobsite
Back - Quilted maple from tree washed up on a beach in Puget Sound, Tacoma Narrows.
Neck - Curly maple from a tree I felled in Seattle
Fretboard, bridge and other accents - Curly koa from an old guy that got it in Kealakekua, HI in the '60's and hauled it around the world with him until last year when his wife told him that at 90, he can no longer safely do woodworking.
Saddle, nut, fret markers and inlay - abalone shell I had laying around the garden
Bracing, kerfed lining - stuff laying around the shop.
Finished with Profin. I've used it for years on my woodturning pieces and figured it would work fine for the uke.

This was pretty much an experimental build to figure out the processes involved. I told my wife that if I got done and it sounded like crap that I was going to nail it to the wall of my shop with my framing nail gun. Fortunately, I think it sounds great! And so far others who have heard it agree! I think the abalone nut and saddle do make it sound bright, so I might experiment with some African blackwood scraps I have, although I like the bright tone.
I'm not much of a uke player, so I'll try to get a friend to record a sound sample and post it up here in the next day or so.
Thanks for all the help from all of you here in the Luthier's Lounge, whether you knew it or not!
Alan

Attachments

• 2010 05 18_0059..jpg
    2010 05 18_0059..jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 2010 05 19_0069..jpg
    2010 05 19_0069..jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 2010 05 19_0019..jpg
    2010 05 19_0019..jpg
    99 KB · Views: 128
  • 2010 05 19_0009..jpg
    2010 05 19_0009..jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 154
Man that is one purdy and well made looking instrument. That's something to be proud of for sure. I love those big dots and all the wood is beautiful. That inlay at the top of the fretboard really grabbed my eye too.

Beautiful work Alan. Will be good to hear how it sounds.
Very interesting background on the wood. That's very cool.
Interesting neck shape. What plans did you use?
Fred

Beautiful!
What did you use for the rosette?

That is just gorgeous! Seriously... it's absolutely lovely.
And the story behind all the woods and inlays makes it even more special.

That is a fine looking instrument. Congratulations, you should be very proud of yourself. My first one doesn't even compare...

Top Bottom