PDA

View Full Version : Shimabukoro

UKESTAR
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Jake is playing in San Diego Feb. 7th at Anthology. Should be fun....dinner and a show. Not sure if anyone in UU forum is from SD, but I thought I would get it out there. He seems to play a lot of gigs in Hawaii....so I don't want to miss this one here in SD.. Hey Aldrine...you ever play any shows here in SD?

NukeDOC
01-14-2008, 02:56 PM
there are a few here from SD...

me
bugoy
ibcruzn
mcarreon

not sure of how many more. but i would love to check it out. where is anthology??? and how much are the tickets?

UKESTAR
01-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Google (anthology sd) for tickets. I have never been there, but looks nice. The tickets are not cheap. I think they are about $24 ea. for a dinner table on the floor area. Apparently all floor dining seats are great seats?? You can also sit up above for a bit cheaper. I would much rather pay a bit more to actually "see" him play. I went to Belly Up last time he was in town and the show was incredible, but standing room only....so I could not see what he was doing on the fretboard and strumming which is so cool to see...

UKESTAR
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Oh yeh.... Anthology is located near Little Italy downtown SD...

FunkyPeaNutZ
01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Looks like Jake is playing in the LA area on February 8th. It's in Palos Verdes, so if you're in the south bay, it's real close. No info yet on the ticket prices. If anyone wants to meet up and check it out, hit me up, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go.

pakiboy949
01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
How much does it cost and what time is the show? I'm off class at 3 pm and I'll be going for sure from Irvine if it's doable. Anybody want to set up a meet up if any of us go?

dafamcallsmebj
01-15-2008, 04:07 AM

me
bugoy
ibcruzn
mcarreon

not sure of how many more. but i would love to check it out. where is anthology??? and how much are the tickets?

cmon man... how could u forget me?....
im down to go if u and/or boogs go....
lemme know...

rayan
01-15-2008, 07:15 AM
If you get a chance to talk to Jake, be sure to let him know that you're part of Ukulele Underground. We're (Aldrine, Aaron and I) friends with him so he'll know what you're talking about. I think he's going to help us out with some stuff later on the site too.

pakiboy949
01-15-2008, 07:39 AM
should i get my costco ukulele signed :D

NukeDOC
01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
If you get a chance to talk to Jake, be sure to let him know that you're part of Ukulele Underground. We're (Aldrine, Aaron and I) friends with him so he'll know what you're talking about. I think he's going to help us out with some stuff later on the site too.

will do. hopefully that will be a chance to get an even more personalized autograph on my uke.

uh oh. dilemma time...

"thefamcallsmebj" here on UU has a uke that is signed by Ekolu. thats just awesome. but thats his only uke. so he actually has to play it. thats not awesome. its already starting to fade away.

i have three main ukes that i actually use pretty much equally. not a day goes by that i play a uke, that i dont at least strum all three of them at least once. so... one side of me says that it would suck to have to actually play the uke that i get signed by people. on the other hand, i wouldnt mind getting some sort of cheapy, to be the designated autograph uke... but then again, that would be a little embarrassing IMO, knowing that i have better ukes more worthy of a great autograph.

im sure jake wouldnt even notice that he's signing a junk uke. but my own conscience would be bothering me... "you shoulda let him sign the leolani at least!!!"

crap. what do i do???

... if i even go.

clevacheva
01-15-2008, 01:50 PM

me
bugoy
ibcruzn
mcarreon

i didn't know that there was that many people from SD. i thought i was the only one.. well you can add me to that list haha

UKESTAR
01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Tough call on that one.... I would say have him sign the uke that you play least. The last thing you want to be thinking about while you are playing is whether or not the sig. is wearing off because of wear and tear... I have an Oscar Schmitt (spelling?) concert that I am considering having him sign that I don't use too much...

dafamcallsmebj
01-15-2008, 02:45 PM
will do. hopefully that will be a chance to get an even more personalized autograph on my uke.

uh oh. dilemma time...

"thefamcallsmebj" here on UU has a uke that is signed by Ekolu. thats just awesome. but thats his only uke. so he actually has to play it. thats not awesome. its already starting to fade away.

i have three main ukes that i actually use pretty much equally. not a day goes by that i play a uke, that i dont at least strum all three of them at least once. so... one side of me says that it would suck to have to actually play the uke that i get signed by people. on the other hand, i wouldnt mind getting some sort of cheapy, to be the designated autograph uke... but then again, that would be a little embarrassing IMO, knowing that i have better ukes more worthy of a great autograph.

im sure jake wouldnt even notice that he's signing a junk uke. but my own conscience would be bothering me... "you shoulda let him sign the leolani at least!!!"

crap. what do i do???

... if i even go.

yes i do have my uke signed by ekolu..
and yes i do play it....
and yes i am planning on getting a new one when i go to hawaii in april....
but i want jake to sign my uke!!!
are we gunna go nuke?

NukeDOC
01-15-2008, 05:50 PM
hahaha i play them all equally.

im still not sure if im gonna go yet. i cant pay for the tickets till i get my new credit card in the mail (long story). and im trying to secure a date for that night... just to make it perfect.

bj, just because you have long hair, you cant be my date. sorry bro.

dafamcallsmebj
01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
hahaha i play them all equally.

im still not sure if im gonna go yet. i cant pay for the tickets till i get my new credit card in the mail (long story). and im trying to secure a date for that night... just to make it perfect.

bj, just because you have long hair, you cant be my date. sorry bro.

nice one buddy...

pakiboy949
01-16-2008, 08:51 AM
i'm in for sure. where can i buy the tickets?

UKESTAR
01-16-2008, 09:54 AM
i'm in for sure. where can i buy the tickets?

You need to go to the Anthology website. Google: Anthology San Diego and it will take you there. You can buy tickets off their website....

rayan
01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Heres Jake's full tour schedule for the upcoming months

2008 West & East Coast Tour Information

February 4th @ Dimitrious Jazz Alley - Seattle, WA

February 6th @ Aladin Theater - Portland, OR

February 7th @ Anthology - San Diego, CA

February 8th @ Harlyne J. Norris Pavillion - Rolling Hills Estate, CA

February 14th @ Ramshead On Stage - Annapolis, MD

February 16th @ Rams Head Tavern - Annapolis, MD

February 17th @ DAR Constitution Hall - Washington, DC

February 18th @ Highline Ballroom - New York, NY

2008 Australia Tour Information

March 7th @ Port Fairy Folk Festival

March 12th @ Northcote Social Club

March 13th @ Sydney Opera House

March 14th @ Lizotte

March 15th @ Blue Mountain Fest

March 18th @ Bellingen Memorial Hall

March 19th @ Brisbane Powerhouse

March 20th @ Joe's Waterhole

March 21st @ East Coast Blus & Roots Fest

He's also going to be on Late Night with Conan O'Brien on February 19 2008 so please mark that on your calendars and be sure to tune in to watch our buddy.

clevacheva
01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
does the one in sd have an age limit? ex. 18 and over.. or 21 or over?

BUGOY
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
no age restrictions

heres a link to the FAQ on their website.

http://www.anthologysd.com/pages/FAQ.html

make sure you take notice to the $20 food/beverage minimum. ;)

pakiboy949
01-17-2008, 01:28 AM
k well i'll probably be going to the 7:30 show, and using the $20 dinner/drink fee on drinks (I want to get a few drinks in my system). Anybody want to meet up anywhere before the show?

UKESTAR
01-17-2008, 07:17 AM
k well i'll probably be going to the 7:30 show, and using the $20 dinner/drink fee on drinks (I want to get a few drinks in my system). Anybody want to meet up anywhere before the show?

Yeh...I think the first shows are usually better with most performers. Because Jake has a chill personality and interacts with audience, I want to be there when he is most stoked/awake to be there...probably first show?? Who knows...

NukeDOC
01-17-2008, 07:47 AM
if i go, it will be the first show as well.

UKESTAR
01-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Right on...we should let Jake know we are from the UU. If Jake could make an announcement (shout out) for the UU, might help get more SD members. I am sure Aldrine and the UU staff would appreciate that....just don't want to hassle Jake with that sort of thing....even though he seems like the type of person that would do this no worries....

pfestejo1
01-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Where can we get the tickets?

UKESTAR
01-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Where can we get the tickets?

google this: anthology san diego

then call and purchase tickets.

hope that helps...should be awesome.

dafamcallsmebj
01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
how many people have bought tickets for this show...
i wanna go...
i kinda just want to see who wouold all be goin...

pakiboy949
01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
i'm selling some school books tomorrow, and then i'll be purchasing my ticket... has anybody else purchased tickets yet?

UKESTAR
01-28-2008, 07:41 AM
how many people have bought tickets for this show...
i wanna go...
i kinda just want to see who wouold all be goin...

Got 2 tickets (me/girlfriend) to attend the earlier show that night. There are two shows that night of Feb. 7. Hurry before it sells out...it most likely will pretty fast...

He has a pretty solid fan base in SD from what I have seen at Belly Up tavern show last year. Totally was sold out and people begging to buy tickets outside the night of the show...

grappler
01-29-2008, 01:57 AM
GUESS what ! IM GOING TO SEE JAKE!! He's touring AUSTRALIA!!!!
ARGHHH@@@@!!!! so excited!!!!
do you think if i mention that im a member of Uu, he'll sign my ukulele and take a photo with me?? or even if i dont even mention it, he'll do it anyway??
drools
hope i can!! im so excited!!:eek::eek:

NukeDOC
01-29-2008, 09:30 AM
ok i finally straightened out some minor details. im going to be at the 1930 show. see you guys there!

clevacheva
01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
hahah yeah im going to the later show

UKESTAR
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
ok i finally straightened out some minor details. im going to be at the 1930 show. see you guys there!

1930 show...haha...is that military time? Wouldn't that mean 7:30 pm? Right on...I am going to the 7:30 show......fo' sho'

FunkyPeaNutZ
01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Man...I'm too late, Jake's show is sold out up here in LA. I'm 3rd on the waiting list for ticket openings. I tried to sweet talk the lady who was selling the tickets, man i hope I get them. Or someone's getting jacked in line.

NukeDOC
01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
1930 show...haha...is that military time? Wouldn't that mean 7:30 pm? Right on...I am going to the 7:30 show......fo' sho'

haha yessir that does mean 7:30pm for you civilian types. see you there!

UKESTAR
01-31-2008, 02:27 PM
haha yessir that does mean 7:30pm for you civilian types. see you there!

Excellente....see you there. You gonna get Jake to sign a uke?? I am considering having him sign my Oscar S. uke...

NukeDOC
01-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Excellente....see you there. You gonna get Jake to sign a uke?? I am considering having him sign my Oscar S. uke...

yeah i decided to have him sign my leolani uke. sucky thing is i was out at the mall with my uke in its case last night, and i forgot to zip it up. as i was walking the velcro gave out and the uke fell to the cement. didnt break, but i got a nice grind on the headstock and a couple of edges on the body.

UKESTAR
02-01-2008, 04:03 AM
yeah i decided to have him sign my leolani uke. sucky thing is i was out at the mall with my uke in its case last night, and i forgot to zip it up. as i was walking the velcro gave out and the uke fell to the cement. didnt break, but i got a nice grind on the headstock and a couple of edges on the body.

Ouch....I was cringing as I was reading that!

UKESTAR
02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
6 days and counting....:eek:

Terrell
02-01-2008, 06:02 PM
aww lame!! jake will be her eon the 4th but i don't get paid till the 8th. and i have work that day... bleh... this sucks.:(

UKESTAR
02-02-2008, 04:50 AM
5 days and counting....:D

NukeDOC
02-02-2008, 04:54 AM
5 days and counting....:D

haha man your avatars are getting more and more psychedelic everyday. i would love to see what you can do with a gif.

UKESTAR
02-02-2008, 05:45 AM
haha man your avatars are getting more and more psychedelic everyday. i would love to see what you can do with a gif.

Haha....that is my "customitis" kicken' in again.. I have done a lot with animated gifs over the years....not much freedom with these avatars though. I went 80's style on this one..haha.

dafamcallsmebj
02-03-2008, 04:49 PM
aww lame!! jake will be her eon the 4th but i don't get paid till the 8th. and i have work that day... bleh... this sucks.:(

i cant see him either...
grrrrrr......
i guess ill just have to make a trip up to SB or sumthin to go see him
ROAD TRIP!!!
hhahaa

NukeDOC
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
i cant see him either...
grrrrrr......
i guess ill just have to make a trip up to SB or sumthin to go see him
ROAD TRIP!!!
hhahaa

your class will be there the week after, bj. dont blow this man. bring your girl "friend" hahaha.

rklicsu
02-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Anyone know if Jakes' San Diego show this Feb. 7th at Anthology is sold out? Are tickets still available for the early show?

NukeDOC
02-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone know if Jakes' San Diego show this Feb. 7th at Anthology is sold out? Are tickets still available for the early show?

call up anthology and ask them. i got my tickets last week. so hopefully, theyre not all sold out by now. worth a try.

BruddahMark
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Nevah been to Anthology but looks like a nice venue. I will be at Jake's Late show somewhere down in the Lower Booths? Not sure exactly where. But shoots, come by and say aloha. Been supporting and watching Jake perform since the early days. Seen him grow from a jumping young gun to a extremely polished musician. Was backstage with Jake, his manager Kaz, Matty B and Kazuka of Sony Japan at the 2006 NAMM show Acoustic Cafe Concert where he completely silenced and wowed the mostly non-ukulele crowd of executives. It was a real turning point for the respect of the ukulele.

I just recently finished the NAMM 2008 show and could easily say that I saw more guitar manufacturers jumping on the ukulele bandwagon that I have ever seen while attending this show. The ukulele is definately back on the map and I think Jake has alot to do with it. See you at the show, Keep the spirit alive, aloha.

UKESTAR
02-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Nevah been to Anthology but looks like a nice venue. I will be at Jake's Late show somewhere down in the Lower Booths? Not sure exactly where. But shoots, come by and say aloha. Been supporting and watching Jake perform since the early days. Seen him grow from a jumping young gun to a extremely polished musician. Was backstage with Jake, his manager Kaz, Matty B and Kazuka of Sony Japan at the 2006 NAMM show Acoustic Cafe Concert where he completely silenced and wowed the mostly non-ukulele crowd of executives. It was a real turning point for the respect of the ukulele.

I just recently finished the NAMM 2008 show and could easily say that I saw more guitar manufacturers jumping on the ukulele bandwagon that I have ever seen while attending this show. The ukulele is definately back on the map and I think Jake has alot to do with it. See you at the show, Keep the spirit alive, aloha.

Me and my lady are going to the earlier show...can't wait. Saw him at Belly Up last time he was in town, killer show, but too many people standing at stage..

You going to the uke jam at De Anza cove Feb 29 o' wha??

dafamcallsmebj
02-04-2008, 07:06 PM
your class will be there the week after, bj. dont blow this man. bring your girl "friend" hahaha.

ill see whats up....
hahaha

iz dat ur girlprend rex?....

BruddahMark
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
You going to the uke jam at De Anza cove Feb 29 o' wha??[/QUOTE]

Just recently was turned on to this board by a friend. Not sure what you are talking about. I may or may not be in town on the 29th. But if I am, will try to stop by and check it out. Is there a concert? More info?

UKESTAR
02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
You going to the uke jam at De Anza cove Feb 29 o' wha??

Just recently was turned on to this board by a friend. Not sure what you are talking about. I may or may not be in town on the 29th. But if I am, will try to stop by and check it out. Is there a concert? More info?[/QUOTE]

Yeh...go to the regions section and look for "San Diego Represent!!". In that thread, you will find a bunch of info, including a map to the jam....should be a good turnout...cruise down if you can make it for sure...

FunkyPeaNutZ
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, I got lucky, and my number on the waiting list came up. So I got 2 tickets to Jake. Score baby. Man, finally gonna see him live. Anyone else in LA going to the Jake concert in Rolling Hills this Friday?

pakiboy949
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
after all this talk of me going to the concert, alas i cannot go =\

NukeDOC
02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
tonight's the night!!!

Fred Miu
02-07-2008, 11:50 AM
hey nuke, if you talk to jake, tell him about the site! and get a pic with him and post it!!!

take lots of video people and post it please, i wish i could go so im relying of my UU fam. to help me out haha

dafamcallsmebj
02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
after all this talk of me going to the concert, alas i cannot go =\

dude... i feel your pain...

clevacheva
02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
sorry guys for the people not going.. im going to the late show hope to get some pics to show you guys and get some cd's signed

rklicsu
02-08-2008, 03:08 AM
How was the show in S.D.?

UKESTAR
02-08-2008, 03:46 AM
OK....a few things:

Jake = unreal talent, very nice person (got uke signed and spoke with him for a minute after the show....forgot my camera.....arghh...

The song "Dragon" was inspired by one of Jake's many heroes...Bruce Lee...Enter the 'Dragon" movie. In this song Jake also uses a technique he calls "finger tapping" which Jake was inspired to learn when he saw Eddy Van Halen do it...........hmm. Now I want to learn....sounds really nice..

Anthology = super duper nice place...only been open for abt. 8 months... with excellent service....3 stories tall, but very expensive (4 appetizers....some drinks came out to abt. $95...then tip of course..ha)

Met Nuker...cool dude...will see you at the jam bro..you go moderator..haha

Met another UU member....sorry drawing a blank on the name, but cool dude too.

I sat next to people at floor level that knew nothing about Jake or the uke....would have been even more fun to be surrounded by UU folks....

They asked me what Jake was all about and I said...."He is basically the Michael Jordan of the uke..."

Oh....those people now love Jake and the uke...haha...seriously..

Last but not least......do whatever you can to see Jake perform live...it will inspire you to play more and to improve faster...

NukeDOC
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
tickets for two to an event that i always told myself i would go to... $54
dinner for two with cocktails... $165
actually getting to see jake perform live... PRICELESS.

my date that night had never even heard of jake before i asked her to accompany me. she actually planned on looking him up before last night to see what she got herself into. when i saw her jaw drop to the floor (of course i was a gentleman and picked it up for her), it made my night. bringing that same feeling i got when i first heard him play to someone else... that almost cant be beat.

i got my uke signed by him. and told him aldrine and rayan say wassup. cool guy. really cool guy. funny though. saw him on stage and he looked 6 ft tall. im only 5'6" and when i finally got to shake his hand, it surprised me that im actually taller than he is. haha. gave our shaka brahs and i was out. saw a big line outside anxiously waiting to see the incredible show.

on a bad note... i will never order the salmon there again. got home and didnt feel too good. actually went to sleep around 1030pm. woke up at 1230 rushing to the bathroom to puke. i knew the feeling. i got food poisoning. i woke up every 30-45 minutes after that to puke again. didnt get to really sleep till about 4am. horrible horrible feeling. the whole time im thinking to myself "what a waste of a $37 dish!" hahaha.

sorry guys, no pictures either.

Fred Miu
02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
tickets for two to an event that i always told myself i would go to... $54
dinner for two with cocktails... $165
actually getting to see jake perform live... PRICELESS.

my date that night had never even heard of jake before i asked her to accompany me. she actually planned on looking him up before last night to see what she got herself into. when i saw her jaw drop to the floor (of course i was a gentleman and picked it up for her), it made my night. bringing that same feeling i got when i first heard him play to someone else... that almost cant be beat.

i got my uke signed by him. and told him aldrine and rayan say wassup. cool guy. really cool guy. funny though. saw him on stage and he looked 6 ft tall. im only 5'6" and when i finally got to shake his hand, it surprised me that im actually taller than he is. haha. gave our shaka brahs and i was out. saw a big line outside anxiously waiting to see the incredible show.

on a bad note... i will never order the salmon there again. got home and didnt feel too good. actually went to sleep around 1030pm. woke up at 1230 rushing to the bathroom to puke. i knew the feeling. i got food poisoning. i woke up every 30-45 minutes after that to puke again. didnt get to really sleep till about 4am. horrible horrible feeling. the whole time im thinking to myself "what a waste of a $37 dish!" hahaha.

sorry guys, no pictures either.

LOL i want a date that i can bring to see Jake.

when i saw him in S.F. i was like 2 inches taller than him. at least you had fun the salmon caught up.

clevacheva
02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
i went to the later show. it was def. a great experience seeing him live for the first time. loved all the songs he played got some cd's signed and i got a picture to. got to talk to him before and after the show.. very humble guy and was super nice.
ill post the picture later

FunkyPeaNutZ
02-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Just got back from the show. I was very impressed. It was more of a jazzy set up because Jake did a couple numbers with the opening act. Which by no means took away from what I expected. I mean I enjoy most of his numbers, but to see him improvise with people he only recently met opened my eyes to the wonders of the ukulele even more. The ukulele/jake more than held it's own with the piano/drum/bass, playing strictly jazz tunes.

Only thing is, I kind of felt out of place. I figured island music, casual kinda thing. But when I got in most people were in sports jackets, poshy, classy kinda gear. I should've known going to the Asian American Symphony in Rolling Hills Estates. Good thing I stopped drinking when I was 3 beers short of being obnoxious. When I read Nuke's post, I read there were drinks being served at the venue in SD, so my friend and I decided to get the party started early, and top it off at the spot. Nope, they were only serving water, and snacks.

But still, seeing Jake live was very worth it. Now I just gotta see Aldrine and Rayan live instead of the webcam.

Got some pics, I'll post them later.

pakiboy949
02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
ahh, what a way to finish off a terrible week. Knowing that I missed the greatest concert ever :eek: anybody know the next time he plays in southern cali?

Wafles
02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Jake's coming to chicago in a few months, I'm very tempted to make the 120 mile drive to go see him.

rayan
02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! Yeah watching Jake perform is something else.

He is a super nice guy. Did all the UU people there take a picture together? That would have been cool.

NukeDOC
02-12-2008, 08:31 AM
i forgot my camer at home so i didnt get to take a pic with him. ukestar was in front of me in the line to get our autographs and i dont think he got a picture either.

i didnt see anyone else from the board there.

clevacheva
02-12-2008, 08:48 AM
i got a picture!
its my avatar haha
and one of bruddahmark too if i checks this thread

BruddahMark
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
This one is with Clevacheva(Trevor) out in front of Anthology after the show. Notice the miss-spelling of Jakeys name. SHIMAKUBURO? Kinda like the way the owner hacked Jakes last name when he first introduced him. A case of dyslexia? The photo was timed with the moving sign. Noticed there is no T on "tonight" Thats ok thats how we asians say it anyway. hehe!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/markouke/JakeAnthology006.jpg

clevacheva
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
ill go post mine now haha

clevacheva
02-12-2008, 05:27 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/clevacheva/0006-4.jpg
signing my cd's

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/clevacheva/0005-3.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/clevacheva/0009-7.jpg
for mark^

AnthonyUkulele
02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
add me in that san diego list...damm i was about to go to the show but i found out i had to go somewhere...bummer...anyone know if he is coming back her to san diego