What do you think of spruce tops for ukes?

clayton56

Reaction score
Those of you with spruce tops on your ukes, how do you like them, and how are they different from mahogany and koa ukes?

The best sounding uke I've has was topped with spruce, a Kepasa concert.
As a matter of fact, so was the second best, an Ohana Vita.
Yes, I like spruce.
Mahog sounds more restrained, less expressive, less dynamic.
I also repaired a Kamaka koa. It has a very mellow sound and really pretty treble, but not
as wide a dynamic range as the spruce topped ukes I've played.

from my experience, mahog and spruce sound very different.

Mahogany has that mellow tone with... I don't know how to describe it... a bright undertone. Spruce bright and very clean. I've only played/own one Koa uke so I wouldn't like to say from that one uke.

The two I've got at the mo are probably pretty good to compare against (see sig.), same size, very similar builds and features (ignoring the cut-a-way).

My current spruce also projects louder than my mahog. Both lovely ukes but which you'd prefer is totally dependent on the sound you are looking for.

Last edited:
Still waiting for the longneck soprano review........................................... (Not to usurp your thread clayton56)

I just received my first spruce top uke today and really like the tone. In my opinion it's more crisp than my mahogany or acacia. It's also fairly loud, especially compared to the acacia.

I really like the tone of the acacia and think it's great as a solo instrument, but I think the tone of the spruce/lacewood tenor that I just got will be a better fit in my band mix with the other instruments.

Spruce is my favorite. Especially when combined with a really hard wood like rosewood or ebony.

I am amazed by my uke. It has the sound I was looking for. I think the spruce sounds "brighter" than the mahogany ukes that I have played. Koa, well I don't knowa.

I love my cheapo Makai spruce top. In fact I just ordered a second from MGM. They are punchy, defined and fantastic for banjo'ish stuff. I have pro arte's on the one I have and the one coming will have aquila's.

My first two Ukes were all Koa. I am currently using my Ko'olau 100sp. Koa back and sides with a Spruce top. I love the sound. Bright and loud!
4628407368_1e403c35e3.jpg

4620366040_17290fa9ed.jpg

"bright and loud" sums it up! I love my spruce tops.

I find the spruce sounds more guitarish than koa or mahogany.

I agree- my tenor has a spruce top and it definitely sounds more like a guitar. Not that that is a bad thing, it feels louder than my cedar top and is better for solos.

I have two spruce-topped ukuleles, one a figure 8 soprano, and one a Vita. The figure 8 has a thick top (1/8"? 3/16"?) which to my ear swallows a lot of the mid-to-low range frequencies. It records nicely, though -- it almost sounds as if I have scooped the mids ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC0PmWg4H24 ).

The Vita is a tone monster. It has a thin top, nicely-balanced frequency range, and is louder than any ukulele I have heard ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngb-kNtDzaA ).

Spruce is the premier choice of tonewood for guitar makers because it has the best combination of elasticity and strength of all the tonewoods. You can get even more refined and define spruce by specific types like Engelmann and Adirondack, which have somewhat different frequency responses. Overall, spruce has great tonal range, sustain and harmonic complexities. Cedar is very similar, but with a narrower tonal range and generally lower sustain. It's a tad "warmer" than spruce which is considered bright because of its rich high-end range.

Most spruce is used "plain" - finished without any stain. But woodworkers know the grain can be emphasized with an application of stain. Spruce grain is generally straight and tight, but it can be made more visually interesting with stain. Not, of course, after it has had a coat of finish. Generally wider and more widely spaced grain is more visually interesting, but there's no reason spruce tops can't be enhanced with some pre-finish effort. I'm sure some luthiers here have done it.

I don't have the best ears but can hear the differences. I have one spruce top, the Ohana Vita and LOVE that one. My mahogany ukes are old sopranos with wood saddles, they are also loud but not as, and warmer as noted in previous posts. These ukes also have that plunk quality that I think has a lot to do with the wood saddle, because my old Kamaka has it too, plunk and also a woody sound. All have good sustain.

I have an old koa soprano too, not much difference noted between it and the hog, both are loud and warm, both are 1920-30. I have a cedar CBU concert that is very brash and loud but still warm, with great sustain. My Kanile'a koa tenor is low 4th G and sounds more guitarish to me (so does the mahogany bari) because of that, and seems quieter actually with it's bone saddle.

Bradford is working on a custom pineapple for me, go check out the luthier section to see pics of the bear claw spruce top.

I think a well made spruce top would be a welcome addition to any collection.

Spruce top uke is what I like the most. It reacts fast, it's crisp and dynamic when you got a nice piece of spruce combine with a nice resonant wood such as Brazilian, Madagascar Rosewood or Macassar ebony.

Top Bottom