Scale and Fret distances

Mike Flannery

Reaction score
I am curious as to the importance of accuracy between the scale length and fret distances in a tenor ukulele. I have been looking at a specific one to purchase, but some of the distances seem to be different than traditional, and I think this affects the intonation. Can someone comment on this.

I believe that the traditional scale length of a tenor ukulele is 17 inches between the Nut and the Bridge, and that the length from the leading edge of the Nut the top high point on the twelfth fret is 8 1/2 inches, or exactly half the scale length. The tenor I have looked at has a scale length of 17 5/8 inches, but the same 8 1/2 inches to the top of the twelfth fret-this is scale length difference is about the width between frets at that point on the fret board, or half a tone. Can a Luthier compensate for this in other ways if he chooses this different scale length, or is this a mistake? I thought that accuracy in this part of the construction is measured in less than millimeters to be done properly.
Any light on this technical subject would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

The distance from the leading edge of the nut to the twelfth fret should be half the distance from the nut to the saddle plus a small amount for compenstation. 5/8ths of an inch is way too much compensation and there is no way to make up for that difference. Are you sure you are counting to the twelfth fret? The neck does not have to attach at the twelfth fret. Otherwise the only way to fix this is by moving the bridge. That 17-5/8 scale should put the twelfth fret at about 8 and 3/4 inches.

I believe you add the "small amount" for compensation at the bridge, not the frets. The fret calculator at stewmac shows a 17.625 scale uke having the 12th fret at 8.812" from the nut.
http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator
Alan

Carry a clamp on tuner with you to look at it.
Clamp it on , tune the top string as close as possible.
Play the same string at the 12th fret.
If it's not the same and the bridge isn't adjustable .... walk away.

In order to get a correctly intonated instrument ( any stringed instrument ) the scale length is multiplied by .934 ( or something like that) to get the first fret, then so on until all are done.
If the scale and 12th don't match I don't see how the frets could be right.

Matt

Sounds wacky. Are you sure you measured the 12th fret??
Other than that....I know guitar manufacturers often claim different scale length than reality. Maybe uke makers do too. The advertized scale length vs. actual doesn't really matter. If it plays in tune and feels good to you....its a keeper

Top Bottom