I don't think venues respect the awesomeness of the uke (jake related)

RyRod

Reaction score
So, I really don't think the DIA had any idea just how many people Jake would attract. There were people all over the place. People were sitting on the floor, the planters that ran all along the back wall, standing in corners and blocking entrances. He played one set then he went out to do the meet and sign thing. Then he did a second, shorter set and then did another meet and sign.

I wasn't sure how the DIA would treat ukes so I didn't bring mine in at first. Anyway, we were walking around and my dad and I ran into Mr. S downstairs and talked with him for a few minutes. He "recognized" us from the Ann Arbor Show in November(it probably helped that I was reppin' the UU tee again) and I told him that I won that kala uke during the undies and blah blah blah. After a lot of "thank you's" from both parties(you know how he is) and "you're phenominal", we let him go and we went to find out where he was playing at. Well, we should've gotten there much earlier. For the first set we ended up being some of the suckers that sat on the planter for an hour.

After the first set people got up/left, and well... we grabbed some front row seats. Before the second set started I saw a bunch of people with their ukes so I decided to get mine after the set was done. When it was finished he came over and and thanked us for staying for the second set and I ran out to get my uke out of the trunk and ran back in.

When I was waiting my turn in line some lady was asking some girls about their ukes. After I took my uke out she asked me about what key and how many frets and so on.

I represented UU hard tonight. I told the lady about the free lessons and stuff and a lot of people commented on the shirt as well.

When I got up to Jake he was like "woa, so this is the uke you one?". So he examined it and played it a little bit.
img2323j.jpg

img2322.jpg

I asked him to sign it and he gladly obliged.

img2324q.jpg

It was an awesome night that I'll never forget.
img2325p.jpg

sounds like an awesome night!

I dunno, maybe you could have smiled a little bigger?
Nicely done and thanks for the pics.

I am also burning with jealous rage.

Sweetness, what a great story! I agree that your smile is kind of bland there..... :)

Jake is awesome. I saw him in March at Yoshi's Jazz Club in San Francisco and all of his shows sold out. On the Monday night I went, he hung out in the lobby between shows signing anything people would give him, and he did the same thing after the later show, even though he had to drive to Southern California for a show the next night. He graciously signed the ukulele I'd bought that afternoon just for that purpose. In addition to being a phenomenal musician, he seems to be a really nice guy.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I dunno, maybe you could have smiled a little bigger?

I agree that your smile is kind of bland there..... :)

That was mid-smile too. :D

I think my padre was a little late on the trigger.

I felt like a little kid. I mean, I've met him before but maybe the fact that we talked to him for awhile and that he played my uke made it that much better.

Thanks for reading everyone.

He played your ukulele! I would love that. "Oh, that's what it can sound like."

You do realize that your uke now carries some of Jake's energy? He's changed it, and now everything is different. You now have to respect that. ;)

--Dave E.

very awesome. I had a similar experience where I chatted with him about UWC and such. He's such a great guy. I have the Lanikai Pineapple that he signed hanging on my wall. Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Oh and great uke. I have one myself and I absolutely love it. I have it at work with me right as I type, as a matter of fact :D

Thanks everyone. I feel honored that 2 of the best in the world played my uke.

Aldrine played it during the undies and now Jake. I'll definitely never get rid of this uke.

Top Bottom