Respirators and finishes

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
Maybe I'm the first one to get in on this but I just ordered a fresh air respirator, which as the name implies allows you to breathe fresh air from the outside while spraying. I got tired of changing cartridges on my other respirator. Anybody else use one? I've been doing a lot of research lately on the health hazards of nitro, lacquer thinner, xylene, etc and it's all scary stuff. The best of the water based finishes seems to be Target EM6000 but even that apparently has a way to go to compare it to nitro. Anyone have experience with this stuff? I've had poor results with KTM and Color Tone products in the past.

I recently purchased an HVLP turbine system that has a second turbine system in it that drives a respirator. It's made by a company called Axis ( www.axispro.com ). I haven't used it yet though so I can't say how well it works, but I'm with you on starting to get concerned about health issues and all the stupid stuff I did in my younger days (and sometimes continue to do).

-darrel

That Axis is a nice system. I bought the Hobbyair, made by Axis. I've got a Fuji Q4 HVLP sprayer and I wondered how I could tie a respirator into it. I don't think it would have enough air flow though.
Every time I step into my spray room I wonder how many hours or days I'm taking off of my life. I've sprayed close to 300 ukes with nitro. That's about 3,000 spraying sessions. Only now I'm getting a fresh air system. Doh! Too old I get too smart!

Last edited:
Never heard of it till now. Took a quick look and now it's added to my wish list.
BTW Chuck, the brads through the fret slots trick works like a champ, very tight, spot on. Thank you!

My brother owns a body shop here in Ma. so I’ve been spraying my ukes there on Saturdays. He has a fresh air system in his downdraft booth. I always feel like I’m going on a moonwalk every time I suit up. It’s far from the days when I’d put on three of those 3m paper masks and spray cars in the garage. I’m spraying PPG’s Vibrance clearcoat urethane so there’s no way I’d spray that in the cellar. I suggest everyone protect themselves as much as they can. I worked with a painter back in the 80’s who came into work one day and broke out in hives. His body just said “yep, I’m done”, We were spraying both lacquer and enamel back then.

In my shop, I'm not so concerned about when I'm spraying because I have a good fan system but the offgassing once I've completed spraying. I leave my fan on for awhile after spraying but I risk pulling dust into the room as well as I can suck out all the heat or AC in no amount of time. What do people do while their instruments cure?

From a health perspective, I get more chest colds a day or two after I spray a lot if I don't take precautions.

If you are leaving the fan on you should have a filter inlet system that allows air to be 'striend' of particles before it enters the room. It is a fallacy to hermetically seal these rooms because dust will be sucked from wherever it is...

Never heard of it till now. Took a quick look and now it's added to my wish list.
BTW Chuck, the brads through the fret slots trick works like a champ, very tight, spot on. Thank you!

I had some glue come squishing up through around the brads. Am I doing it wrong?

If you are leaving the fan on you should have a filter inlet system that allows air to be 'striend' of particles before it enters the room. It is a fallacy to hermetically seal these rooms because dust will be sucked from wherever it is...

I have a large, walk in spray room. The walls are lined with shelving and I have a door with fliters in it so the air is drawn through the door filters. The fan sits opposite corner as the door. The problem I have is that I am in and out of the room a lot getting other products that I sprayed earlier. If I leave the fan on then as soon as I open the door then I risk dust from the shop being pulled in.

In July, I will be downsizing my wood working business and moving it to a much smaller space and I haven't quite figured out how I am going to do finish work. I'm going from 3200 sq ft to abot 1000 sq ft. My current spray booth is about 400 sq ft. I'll definetly miss the space.

In July, I will be downsizing my wood working business and moving it to a much smaller space and I haven't quite figured out how I am going to do finish work. I'm going from 3200 sq ft to abot 1000 sq ft. My current spray booth is about 400 sq ft. I'll definetly miss the space.

Ouch!

But I'm guessing you'll get precious little sympathy for a 1000 sf shop around here.:eek::):p:eek: Hope I picked the right smiley to imply jest. Good luck with your move. At least it's less to sweep.

Thanks. I'm a victim of the times. :) Its all good though. I am moving out of a place that I rent to a space at my family's business that I can have rent free, so that alone should take some burden off. Plus, I get to spend more time building what I want to build. It will just take some time getting used to.

Top Bottom