Uke Minutes 87 - 8 Finger Roll

Hey UUers! This week's episode of Uke Minutes is here to save the day!

Uke Minutes 87 - 8 Finger Roll

Try it out, get it down good, and let us know what you think! Questions, comments, thoughts, additional tips on how to roll smoothly, remarks about how the background of this video looks a lot like the set of LOST?? Post them all below!

Ok. I've been trying this. I'm left handed, but play right handed, so every now and then, a right hand technique comes along which just mystifies my poor fingers. I have a few problems:

1. The way I "naturally" do it, my index finger actually doesn't make much contact on the upstrum. It's following along and tends to just clip the 4th string.
2. I play soprano and concert, and I can't work out where to hold the guitar, as my instinct is to hold it high-ish, but it seems for this technique, the body wants to be lower, so you can get the hand angle better.
3. It feels natural to move my hand up and down slightly as I do this, but Aldrine seems to hold his hand totally still.

Any help much appreciated. Love the sound of the flamenco techniques. Has there ever been a golpe lesson?

Thanks!

@pulelehua Thanks a lot for watching! I think the key to this, (that may address all three of the things that you listed), would be to swivel your wrist between the up and down strums. On the up strum, twist your wrist so that when you look down at your right hand, you're seeing a little more of your palm. And on the down strum, twist your wrist so that when you look down at your hand, you're seeing a little more of the top (opposite of palm) side of your hand. Make that transition a nice fluid motion. That way, all of your fingers (including your index) should have good clearance on all of the strings, you are able to hold your uke pretty much anywhere on your chest, and you don't have to move your forearm too much (your wrist is doing all the work).

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions & we'll do our best to clarify :D

Thanks for this. Don't have access to my ukulele at the moment, but I can see the logic.

Practice practice practice. Tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow.

Top Bottom