Help me justify purchasing a Uke

dlknight

Reaction score
I have been wanting a uke. I have never played one before. I just started learning to play a guitar a few months ago. I have been researching ukes for a couple of months now trying to decide which one I wanted. I did find a place locally that carried Makai so I went today. First time I have ever held a uke. First thing that came to mind was, dang these things are really small. Even the tenors are small. I like to have decent equipment. I have a Martin acoustic and a Grestch Corvette electric guitar. I have also been wanting a Seagull Entourage acoustic that is roughly $320 with a solid cedar top and wild cherry back and sides. I have been looking at ukes that cost around $250 concert size. I dont mind spending money on good instruments. Just wondering how someone can justify spending $250 or more on a uke when you can get a solid top acoustic guitar for less than $500 and it is so much bigger. I know you can buy really cheap ukes but you can buy really cheap guitars as well. I had a brand new acoustic solid wood body spruce top mahogany back and sides grover machine tuners for less than $200. I took it back and traded up for my Martin. Anyway I would like you all to help me understand why a uke in comparison to me cost so much?

All I can say is "Do what makes you happy". Just because it is smaller does not mean it needs to be cheaper. From what I hear when it is smaller there is less room to hide flaw.

Ther have been soem discussions here about how a uke is really a deal compared to a guitar. I do not know much about guitars but how much would a custom made, to your specs, guitar cost???? Guess how much custom uke would cost? Considerably less for sure. But would the quality be lacking?? I doubt it.

Why does bigger = more $$$$ would you question a violin's cost? I just don't understand the logic of bigger equalling cost, it is all about quality. All I am saying is it is hard to compare cost of instrument between each other. If you want to play a uke try it out.

I think I phrased the question wrong. I still want a uke, and I am still going to get one. This should just be more of a conversation type of thing. I understand what you are saying. Take a solid spruce top guitar and solid spruce top uke I would think that the guitar top being so much bigger a piece of wood would cost more considering the more wood it takes to build it, more strings, more tuners, and I would think even steel strings cost more as well.

Aside from the material costs being somewhat less for a uke (less wood, fewer frets, four tuning machines instead of six, etc.), the amount of work that goes into constructing one is still about the same as a guitar. That goes for production instruments as well.

Perhaps one of our resident luthiers who has built both will chime in.

The cost of materials verses the labor involved is probably minor. It takes perhaps more effort and skill to make a smaller instrument than a larger instrument. It is harder to work inside of small areas, and the tolerances are probably more critical. It is probably easier to heat and bend guitar sides than ukulele sides. It is really kind of amazing that you can get a really fun, playable instrument in such a small size. I know how much of a pain it is to lug a guitar or banjo around. A uke is so much easier to bring along with you, and that is very freeing. Small and lightweight are positives when you are on the go. People often pay extra for compactness and portability (think of cell phones, cameras, laptop computers).
–Lori

Very good reply Lori. Makes a lot of since, smaller tolerances, less area to work in.

Did you know that millions of ukuleles go unloved and homeless every day?
Have you ever seen an ukulele hanging in a window by the neck?
This inhumane treatment happens all over the world.
That's why we here at JustifyBuyingAnUke take a hands on approach to raise awareness of this growing concern by finding homes for loving, caring individuals who wish to see this despicable practice come to an end.

Fortunately, YOU can help.
By purchasing an ukulele you can help us to combat this problem and put an end to the neglectful abuse that so many ukuleles must endure.
Many of theses ukuleles develop hairline cracks that spread over time.
Ultimately these poor, mistreated ukuleles are tossed into the fire...ALIVE!

We here at JustifyBuyingAnUke are committed to putting an ending to the worldwide suffering of the ukulele.
We are determined to find people JUST LIKE YOU who will love, care for and help build lasting relationships with these abused ukuleles that will make the world a better place to live.

If ever felt the need to help but didn't know how or if you ever thought, "How can one person make a difference" the answer is simple.
Purchase an ukulele today and help restore love to the neglected and the world.
PURCHASE YOUR UKE NOW!!!

Justification for buying an 'uke: it will make you happy.
An 'ukulele is its own instrument. It is not a guitar.
It is possible to enjoy even a less expensive one.
A thin laminate might sound better than a thick solid wood.
Just get out there and try various ones. See what feels right.

Price perspective: Last year I bought a Martin D-35 with L.R. Baggs dual pups system. I paid around $3000 for it. More recently, I bought a Kamaka 8-string Koa Tenor. That cost me around $1100. Both are top-of-the-line instruments. Both also make me happy playing them. However, like Lori noted, the uke is kind of freeing for the reasons she cited. I got serious with mine (my KoAloha Soprano), because of airline luggage restrictions. Funny how circumstance forced me to look anew at my KoAloha--nine years after I bought it. Still, I'm very pleased that I bought a serious instrument to start with. The tones are totally in-class with my Martin. And that Soprano cost me only $365 back in Y2K ($475 is the current new price).

All I can say is that, given the quality of instruments you already own, you might as well get a ukulele on-par with what you have. Why cheat your ear? Actually, for the same price as any of your guitars, you will be able to own a uke that's superior in quality. Think of it from that angle: You'd be stepping up.

--Dave E.

seriously dude - you clearly dont mind spending money on good instruments - but take it one step at a time - blow £30 on a Makala Dolphin and see if the bug bites you (which of course it will)

If it does - then start working your way up the ladder, and I guarantee you will still play the Makala
If it doesnt, you wasted £30...

Seriously, there are some super pricey ukes out there, but like guitars, you eventually hit a point where the price is going into cosmetics and fancy woods - A £2000 acoustic guitar is not 10 times better in sound than a good £200 guitar - better, but not 10x surely?

If you want a uke for fun, but a good uke, you can pay very reasonable prices for Mainlands, Kalas, Ohanas and Flukes / Fleas. - all perfectly decent instruments, and I've seen many of them gigged by very famous artists.

Did you know that millions of ukuleles go unloved and homeless every day?
Have you ever seen an ukulele hanging in a window by the neck?
This inhumane treatment happens all over the world.
That's why we here at JustifyBuyingAnUke take a hands on approach to raise awareness of this growing concern by finding homes for loving, caring individuals who wish to see this despicable practice come to an end.

Fortunately, YOU can help.
By purchasing an ukulele you can help us to combat this problem and put an end to the neglectful abuse that so many ukuleles must endure.
Many of theses ukuleles develop hairline cracks that spread over time.
Ultimately these poor, mistreated ukuleles are tossed into the fire...ALIVE!

We here at JustifyBuyingAnUke are committed to putting an ending to the worldwide suffering of the ukulele.
We are determined to find people JUST LIKE YOU who will love, care for and help build lasting relationships with these abused ukuleles that will make the world a better place to live.

If ever felt the need to help but didn't know how or if you ever thought, "How can one person make a difference" the answer is simple.
Purchase an ukulele today and help restore love to the neglected and the world.
PURCHASE YOUR UKE NOW!!!

Sheer bloody genius.

Top Bottom