Regrets about selling your uke?

VixDee

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever had regrets or second thoughts about selling one of their ukes.

I have been agonizing about selling my Kanile'a Super Soprano. She was my first true uke love. I played her lovingly for six months and then I found that I had fallen for another - a Kanile'a (Lanikai label) Super Concert. It was truly love at first strum - I haven't put her down in months. I also haven't touched my super soprano in as many months. So, today I took her out and played a few tunes and - eh - it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I have been swayed by the bigger sound of the tenor.

I still love the super soprano, I guess just because she was my first. But is that good reason to keep her? Shouldn't she belong to someone who truly enjoys her sound and can appreciate everything about her? I hate to see her case up on the shelf and know that she won't get any serious play time in my house. But, will I ever go back to loving the soprano sound? And what about in the meantime? What should I do?

What do you think? Sell or keep?

Mahalo

Yeah, I'm sorry I swapped a Pono PKT1 koa tenor for a Kanile'a deluxe koa tenor. Once I got the right strings on the Pono (after I ordered the K) there wasn't a huge difference, except for $450. more. And the Kanile'a is a lot prettier. However the Kanile'a may need different strings as well.

On your soprano, I went off my sopranos for a long time, but I'm back into them now. They make for a nice change. If it's still on the shelf in another 6 months, sell it or Deach it to someone who is eager to play.

Thanks for the replies.

To answer, no I don't NEED the money but I could USE it of course. I've been itching for a nice fluke. But that could always come later.

Maybe wait and see. I still don't know. But thanks.

I don't regret selling any ukuleles. But I didn't LOVE any of the ones we sold.

I have two that I seldom play, but I do love them, so I keep them despite having very limited storage space.

If money and storage are not an issue, I think you should hang onto your super soprano.

The ones I regretted selling:
Ukebrand (Island Style) concert in mahogany - more "pop" than any uke I've ever played
Aloha Royal (cheap) soprano, mahog - it just made me play and play more
Ohana Vita - sweetest player ever
Kepasa Concert and Boat Paddle Tenor - but they went to support a charity
A natural Flea with rosewood board and K & K pickup - so cozy
older Applause (Korean) UAE20 - they are just NOT the same anymore.

So, yes, regrets abound. Keep the sweet ones.

I have sold / traded a few with one regret...my Flea. It was my first real uke and I sold it in the vast search of a better one. I have got some "keepers" now but still miss the Flea.

In the past 11 months, I've owned 11 ukuleles. Experimented with the first ones for size mostly. Bought a KoAloha concert and noticed a BIG difference in sound. Presently have 2 KoAlohas, 1 Kamaka and 2 KoAlanas. Don't miss any of the six I sold, traded or gave away because they were inexpensive and for trial. I'm very happy with the ones I have now.

Do miss a Gibson A 1915 mandolin and a Ciani vintage bowlback mandolin. They cannot be replaced.

If you still love your Kanile-a Super Soprano and you don't need the money, I would say keep it. You may miss it if you sell it.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever had regrets or second thoughts about selling one of their ukes.
I weep daily for every uke I've sold, traded or given away. It's like watching your children leave home. So sad...

But then I beam with pleasure over the new ukes that have replaced them and, being fickle, stop crying and get to playing.

I totally regret selling most of the instruments I ever sold!

I really miss the Kala tenor I used to have. It went to a fine UU member, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather hear play it, but I did love that uke. I still miss it, but finances made it a necessary sacrifice.

IMHO, if you need to sell then sell. If you don't need to, and you have any doubts, then don't sell.

I'd say that if you have your sights set on something else, and you know that someone out there will love you SS just as much as you do, then let it go. I personally suck with those decisions and would probably keep it until I really NEED the money, but that's just me.

I've been in the situation where I was dying to have someone's uke that they didnt play anymore, but they were too scared to sell, so I know there's people out there, itching for your SS. I also know that when I got my Kala Travel Tenor, I didnt pull out my Mainland concert for a matter of months. I have just recently started pulling it out again and falling in love with it's mellow sound, which contrasts the sprucetop of the tenor so well.

So the decision is your. If you have you eyes on another prize and feel like you can find a loving home for someone who will PLAY it, let it go. If you feel like you will never forgive yourself if you let it go and want to play it someday, then hold on to it for a while. There will always be buyers out there, but once it's gone, it's gone...

Good luck!

If there's something else you want to get with the money from selling the Kanile'a SS, then you should sell it. Otherwise, might as well keep it until you have something in mind that you need funds for. I think just about every uke I've sold was used to fund something else.

I have a guitar that I won't play anymore, the neck's too skinny. I hung onto it, tho' and I've lent it to a student of mine, who likes it a lot.

Haven't sold any ukes yet, but when I splurged on a Maui Music six-string last week, I came very close to selling my KoAloha tenor in order to fund it. That probably would've been a mistake. So I'm trying to sell a 100-watt Marshall amp instead.

I have issues... I don't know if I can ever part with one of my ukes. But I only have 2 so... maybe I have not gotten to that point yet.

Anyway, it reminds me of what I have been thinking of this last week. I love love love my Eleuke Soprano Mohogany 100 series. The design is amazing. But it is the older model and my shop is full of the newer model Eleukes and I am wanting to keep a Jazz or Koa... BUT... I think can not part with it! Then the pickup seemed to stop working, so I was even thinking about replacing it's guts because I almost feel guilty about getting rid of it. Luckily, it was the battery! And the crazy thing, I was not the one to think about it (I have been a bit busy and so a bit brain dead I suppose) I was worrying about it to my husband and he said, "Well, I licked the battery the other day and it did not shock me, so I think you just need to replace the battery!" Which I found humorous because he never has anything to do with my ukuleles and here is he telling me he is licking my battery... weirdo... :)! I mean he supports me in selling them and loves to hear me play. He just does not play. He apparently was going to plug it in and crank it up for someone just to show it off, and he was the one to trouble shoot my problem (which is quite obvious I suppose, I just did not have the time to even think about it, I noticed it during a comparison I was doing for someone in passing).

I digress... I think parting can be sweet sorrow if it is going to someone who will love it and it is because you are buying something that suits your taste better. If not though, I would keep it. You may come around to wanting to play it again.

Haven't sold any ukes yet, but when I splurged on a Maui Music six-string last week, I came very close to selling my KoAloha tenor in order to fund it. That probably would've been a mistake. So I'm trying to sell a 100-watt Marshall amp instead.

good call!! screw the amp, keep the koaloha!!

I only have two ukes also. I don't want to have more than two at a time. I feel too guilty not having the time to play them.

At this point I exclusively play the Kanilea super concert (Lanikai label). I'm super careful with it and always keep it in it's case so I thought a Fluke would be fun to leave around the house and grab it anytime. So if I sold the super soprano, I could use the funds for the Fluke. But at the same time how do you make sure that the uke you sell is going to a good home?

Thanks for all the input. Still haven't decided.

I only have two ukes also. I don't want to have more than two at a time. I feel too guilty not having the time to play them.

At this point I exclusively play the Kanilea super concert (Lanikai label). I'm super careful with it and always keep it in it's case so I thought a Fluke would be fun to leave around the house and grab it anytime. So if I sold the super soprano, I could use the funds for the Fluke. But at the same time how do you make sure that the uke you sell is going to a good home?

Thanks for all the input. Still haven't decided.

I have sold a few and only regretted letting two (mele koa top tenor and mele 6 string tenor) go. I am trying to decide if I need to sell one or three right now. I could use the money bit it won't fix my finances. I think I'm keeping all.

How do you make sure it goes to a good home? You interview the buyers through email and phone conversations.

Top Bottom