Trouble with Ebay ukulele seller. What would you do in my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poopylungstuffing

Reaction score
There are not a lot of stores in my hometown of Houston that have a decent ukulele selection, and as a result, most of the ukuleles I have owned have been purchased off the internet. I have ordered 2 ukuleles from a seemingly reputable ukulele Ebay dealer, and they have both crapped out. The first was a Kala Koa concert uke....with active pickups....it's electronics crapped out on me and we took it to a repairman who couldn't fix it and gave my partner a lecture on why he thought that ukes should not have pickups...It is still a very nice sounding acoustic uke, but the eletctonics are useless. We did not raise issue with the dealer because it was a while after we bought the thing that the problems happened...a few months anyhow.
Next it was a Kala version of the Eleuke....it was a solid body electric uke with f-holes....My partner picked it out...and I really liked it, but less than a month after I got it it stopped working very suddenly...Right before a show we had to play. We reported it right away to the dealer who said we could return it either to him or to the Kala company.....and foolishly we returned it to the dealer...also...I am kinda busy and I have executive difficulties....and it sorta took me a while to get it into the mail...but I don't think that we returned it within an unreasonable time frame....or if we did, I think the dealer should have spoken up and told us so.
Some time passed and we heard nothing from the dealer. Since it was my partner who ordered the thing, I had to pester him to e-mail the guy and ask him what was up with my uke..and since my partner had a difficult time bothering to e-mail the guy..occasionally I would do so myself.

He would never respond to my e-mails...which I guess were a bit pestery...since I HAVE been frustrated...but I don't think they were completely unreasonable.
A few months down the line I got the word via an e-mail to my partner that Kala had discontinued the uke that we had ordered due to faulty electronics and he said he'd send me an Eleuke instead.....and then silence...I pestered and pestered my partner to please check with him to determine the ETA of this replacement Eleuke...since he will only respond to my partner....but nothing doing...so I sent another e-mail that was never responded to.
I said that at this point, it is more about closure than it is about the actual ukulele...and could we please at least have a refund or something?
There will continue to be silence...the guy a. does not care....b.is annoyed by me...c.is aware that there is not a lot that I can really do since I am in TX and he is in Hawaii..d. Does not want to part with a "free" ukulele from his inventory even though it is a replacement for a defective one....e. Is very busy and has not time to bother with me or any of his other disgruntled customers...As surely I am not the only one..

It has been at least 2 months since my last frustrated e-mail where i pondered to him ways in which I could seek some form of restitution...such as mentioning this to the ukulele community...and I have not mentioned the seller by name in this post.

I have since purchased a Pineapple Eleuke from another source for stage performance purposes...So it is not like I am without a ukulele...I just tend to obsess on things and I would like some form of closure.
I suppose I could contact the companies of the various ukuleles that he deals...Particularly Kala since I have gotten 2 defective Kalas from him...
I wonder whether he may be in the practice of purchasing defective instruments and fixing them and then selling them on Ebay. He does seem to have a pretty big store...and whatnot.
Dunnow...I guess there is also the good old-fashioned BBB...

If the guy has your money AND the ukulele you bought and has not either replaced the ukulele or sent you a refund, then he's committed a criminal act (he has your money). One option you have would be to report him to the local police in Hawaii and contact the Hawaii Attorney General about filing a formal complaint.

I bought an ukulele from an online dealer (not on eBay but from his own website) and when he didn't either send the ukulele or respond to my emails and phone messages, I went to the website of the police in his city and filled out an online complaint form. I got a call back from a detective. I told him that I was worried that either (1) something had happened to the guy or (2) the guy had basically defrauded me out of the purchase price of the ukulele. When the detective asked me if I wanted to file a formal complaint, I asked him if he could send an officer out to talk to the guy before I decided. I got a call back within a few days from the detective that my money would be refunded, and it was.

If you want to be a little less hardcore, you could send the seller a letter by certified mail with delivery confirmation (if he sent you an ukulele, you should have a mailing address for him) basically telling him that you will contact the police and the Hawaii Attorey General if this matter isn't resolved quickly, give him a deadline to respond (by email, phone, letter) and then contact the police and the AG if you don't hear back. By the way, is it possible that his email service doesn't recognize your email address and is sending your emails to the seller's spam folder? I've had that happen to me too.

There are also eBay and PayPal (if you used PayPal) remedies, but they're largely ineffective and it sounds like you may have waited too long to use them anyway.

Last edited:
I can only think of one person this could be and I am shocked.

If we are thinking of the same person (I hope that we aren't), I am completely and utterly flabbergasted.

Have you tried calling?

Following this. The going to spam is a real possibility if your email is similar to your username...maybe. Good luck resolving this. And yes, better to call.

I am a teensy weensy bit autistic...and very very bad at and avoidant of phone conversations. I for some reason thought that my partner had spoken to him a long time ago...He has not been very helpful...not out of neglect...he is just busy and has a one-track mind that he finds difficult to divert...but I have asked him over and over again to please contact the guy and he will say he will and I find out that he hasn't...and that is why i have jumped the gun and e-mailed him myself on a few occasions...I suppose I could try calling him...I called the people who sent me this other homemade defective electric ukulele...That was to no avail either...I am not a very effective verbal communicator I guess..I'd thought about writing a song about him and posting it on the You Tubes...but I thought I might give him a chance to set things right first.

I have had my user name as a stage name for 10+ years.....it does not have specific words in it that would get tagged for spam even if some people find it to be disturbing...:mad:
(it is a play on pippi longstocking)
Both of my e-mail addresses used some variant of my real name and in the past I sent e-mails that were followed up with the guy getting in touch with my partner...so I will get a second-hand account of his response..but no results.

Last edited:
I have had my user name as a stage name for 10+ years.....it does not have specific words in it that would get tagged for spam even if some people find it to be disturbing...:mad:

Both of my e-mail addresses used some variant of my real name and in the past I sent e-mails that were followed up with the guy getting in touch with my partner...so I will get a second-hand account of his response..but no results.

I don't find it disturbing but fun...and BTW great vids. Also self-correction: you did send out the uke and you did so when requested to do so.

I did send the uke...it mighta taken me a bit of time to get it in the mail as it was around the holidays and we were super busy...But I don't think that there was too much of a delay....or if there was, I wish he'd said something...We didn't hear back from him once we shipped it and had to check in with him to make sure he got it. I think my partner was told that it was still under warranty at that point, if I am not mistaken....Time Frame....November 2009...Received it.....it broke right before my band's Christmas show....We notified him...I was slow in getting it in the mail...might have been sometime in February when I shipped it...i am kinda slow/dysfunctional at getting relatively simple things done in a timely matter sometimes...but still..he has my money and my uke...

I did send the uke...it mighta taken me a bit of time to get it in the mail as it was around the holidays and we were super busy...But I don't think that there was too much of a delay....or if there was, I wish he'd said something...We didn't hear back from him once we shipped it and had to check in with him to make sure he got it. I think my partner was told that it was still under warranty at that point, if I am not mistaken....Time Frame....November 2009...Received it.....it broke right before my band's Christmas show....We notified him...I was slow in getting it in the mail...might have been sometime in February when I shipped it...i am kinda slow/dysfunctional at getting relatively simple things done in a timely matter sometimes...but still..he has my money and my uke...

I would assume it IS under warranty. Discontinued, faulty electronics...and defintely not just the battery going dead...the problematic aspect: selling a discontinued uke with faulty electronics and the follow up...phone calls need to be made to the dealer.

I made this comment much earlier on the UU forum and I'll make it again and go even further: I see no need for a relative handful of dealers (at this point) to have a virtual monopoly on the sale and distibution of ukuleles. I'm glad that chain stores like Sam Ash esp. have ukuleles more readily available for hands on trying. Most mass produced ukuleles require LITTLE set up (if any) aside from string changes and when they do, why would I want an instrument "set up" when I never even had my hands on it first? Need to have the action lowered? Take it to a shop or swap out the saddle! I am not BTW a big fan of Hawaiian or any other kind of paternalism esp. with respect to ukuleles produced in factories in China...esp. when the promo vids feature ukes that at times aren't even in tune. With respect to Kala one small Mom and Pop dealer recently commented to me that shipping costs even for 2 ukes has now made him decide to stick with Lanikai for the most part...and why must a smaller dealer wait sometimes more than 2 weeks (or even arrival date unknown!!!) for an order while others have a cache of Kalas? The electronics of a lot of less expensive ukes are probably the most vulnerable part of the equation.

Here's a line people reading this thread can feel free to use: "I didn't wake up owing you money." I used it in a restaurant only once...believe it or not, not much of a complainer, LOL...

Last edited:
First of all, we know who the seller is - are you kidding?

Given that, why would you buy another uke from the same seller after the first one crapped out?
Regardless, what was the return policy? Time frame? What is the warranty policy (with the distributor, or the dealer)?

What were your expectations? The pickups I use are a measly $120 a pop, and I expect that they'll last. I see a LOT of buyers getting an instrument because it has a pickup inside, without bothering to find out what kind or brand of pickup is in it.

Either way, yours is a rare occurence. You should call.

Most mass produced ukuleles require LITTLE set up (if any) aside from string changes and when they do, why would I want an instrument "set up" when I never even had my hands on it first? Need to have the action lowered? Take it to a shop or swap out the saddle!

I disagree. EVERY instrument should be set up. Unfortunately, in the `ukulele community, this is not generally known. Guitarists know this, or they should. One of my friends, who plays bass, had his acoustic collecting dust because the action is too high. He brought it to my house, truss rod and saddle and 1 hour later, its his go to tool. If you don't want it setup prior to, its probably because you don't know it needs to be, or you want to have it done yourself.

Its the string changes that players think are so easy, that causes the most problems. I've gotten chastised for saying that a nut should be recut when changing strings. So be it - try taking a nut that is slotted for Worths, and change to D'Addario Pro Artes T46's.

The electronics of a lot of less expensive ukes are probably the most vulnerable part of the equation.

Don't disagree with you there.

-Aaron

Did I say a ukulele shouldn't be set up? Do all require a set up?

Let's start with the cheapos...

Among the cheapos most "requiring" a set up something like the Makala Dolphin: the one I purchased at Sam Ash just a string change and checked the intonation just fine. Another Dolphin, minor file adjustment at the nut made by myself...Another cheapo not requiring a set up: Makala baritone: changed the strings, great intonation and sound, and playability. A change from Worth's to Pro Artes? Yes, putting on classical guitar strings would indeed require an adjustment.

My point about set ups ( I've been a guitarist for more than 40 years with guitars priced double that of Kamaka tenors) is that a set up is best made after trying things out yourself and if working with a shop to YOUR requirements. From what I've heard frequently this doesn't always translate over the phone very well...at any shop...anywhere in the world. Recent comments post-set ups reveal lowered action with buzzes and not always the best intonation...yeah, QC can suffer when you're cranking out the sales/set ups faster than thr local Sam Ash. It's arguable that this approach is itself amateurish and depends precisely on newbies...who buy into the MYTH of the horrible out of box quality of mass produced budget and modestly priced ukuleles.

With respect to setting up an instrument in a totally different climate from where it's going...another topic? A really good set up BTW with a truss rod can often require an extra day to let things settle down to see where things stand...

Kenkai: thanks BTW for shipping free of charge your condescending tone and first and foremost somewhat disparaging regard for the OP (while ultimately maintaining the "rare occurence" status of the businessman? Or the product?)...supporting yet another point I made about "paternalism." In the same breath as saying "You should have known better" consider the level of hype sustained and afforded this individual...amid the continuing relatively limited availability of budget and modest priced ukuleles in even chain stores that actually carry a particular line.

Kala saves big on shipping costs this way...

Last edited:
No one is perfect. I would try contacting again. You have pretty much called the dealer out here. I believe your issue will be resolved in a timely manner now. Things happen. It sucks but it is life.

You have pretty much called the dealer out here.

I hear if you turn out the lights in your bathroom and say his name 3 times into the mirror, you can hear an out of tune uke playing "I'm Yours"...

Did I say a ukulele shouldn't be set up? Do all require a set up?

Let's start with the cheapos...

Among the cheapos most "requiring" a set up something like the Makala Dolphin: the one I purchased at Sam Ash just a string change and checked the intonation just fine. Another Dolphin, minor file adjustment at the nut made by myself...Another cheapo not requiring a set up: Makala baritone: changed the strings, great intonation and sound, and playability. A change from Worth's to Pro Artes? Yes, putting on classical guitar strings would indeed require an adjustment.

My point about set ups ( I've been a guitarist for more than 40 years with guitars priced double that of Kamaka tenors) is that a set up is best made after trying things out yourself and if working with a shop to YOUR requirements. From what I've heard frequently this doesn't always translate over the phone very well...at any shop...anywhere in the world. Recent comments post-set ups reveal lowered action with buzzes and not always the best intonation...yeah, QC can suffer when you're cranking out the sales/set ups faster than thr local Sam Ash. It's arguable that this approach is itself amateurish and depends precisely on newbies...who buy into the MYTH of the horrible out of box quality of mass produced budget and modestly priced ukuleles.

With respect to setting up an instrument in a totally different climate from where it's going...another topic? A really good set up BTW with a truss rod can often require an extra day to let things settle down to see where things stand...

Kenkai: thanks BTW for shipping free of charge your condescending tone and first and foremost somewhat disparaging regard for the OP (while ultimately maintaining the "rare occurence" status of the businessman)...supporting yet another point I made about "paternalism." In the same breath as saying "You should have known better" consider the level of hype sustained and afforded this individual...amid the continuing relatively limited availability of budget and modest priced ukuleles in even chain stores that actually carry a particular line.

Kala saves big on shipping costs this way...

If I sounded condescending, I apoligize, I didn't mean to be. I agree with your definition of setups, when, and where. Unfortunately, there are a lot of players here who don't.

As for the OP, she asked what to do. I suggested (call). I did one further, I called. A refund can be processed, but a call has to be made. We all know the troubles this dealer has been through recently - from a timing perspective, unfortunate on both sides. In the end, a call will fix it all.

-Aaron

Aaron, I think we're ultimately on the same side of people and music. To be frank, I think it's time for Kala to make their ukes more available (in conjunction with stores like Sam Ash) to avoid some of this in the future...

And yes, I too think a call is mandatory and stated that earlier. My apologies also for coming on too strong and being condescending myself...all those years of playing guitar...life in NY and NJ....

Last edited:
Calls have been made..my partner has spoken to the guy at least once, but it was a while ago..I really don't know the back story about him....I did not order either uke from him..my partner ordered both of them for me...I didn't even pick them out.
I just recall that the first Kala and the second Kala came from the same dealer...years apart..
It is very hard for me to call people personally...If you see my videos, I can talk, but it is all slow and jumbly. I didn't really mean to call the guy out and slander him all over a ukulele message board. I did mention to him some time ago that maybe i would resort to consulting the ukulele community if the situation was not eventually resolved. My partner reprimanded me for sounding threatening, saying it would not accomplish anything....I didn't mean to sound threatening...but I was talking to a brick wall...I maybe have not handled this in the best way...but I have clinical social dynamics difficulties...so I guess it can make me heavy-handed at times....

Anyway....I guess lets drop it...I will continue to pester my partner to call the guy again...I would try myself even though I talk like a dyslexic 5-year old most of the time....

My apologies for "calling him out".....maybe I should have dropped it.

if he has both your money and your uke, for 6 months, he needs to get on the stick and return one or the other to you, fixed if it's the uke. He knows he has your uke, right? So why the delay?

I think a visit from the local policeman is in order, if he's not communicating.

if he has both your money and your uke, for 6 months, he needs to get on the stick and return one or the other to you, fixed if it's the uke. He knows he has your uke, right? So why the delay?

I think a visit from the local policeman is in order, if he's not communicating.

+1 Don't give in. (And I don't know who the seller is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom