PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Ebay ukulele seller. What would you do in my situation?

poopylungstuffing
05-22-2010, 07:44 PM
There are not a lot of stores in my hometown of Houston that have a decent ukulele selection, and as a result, most of the ukuleles I have owned have been purchased off the internet. I have ordered 2 ukuleles from a seemingly reputable ukulele Ebay dealer, and they have both crapped out. The first was a Kala Koa concert uke....with active pickups....it's electronics crapped out on me and we took it to a repairman who couldn't fix it and gave my partner a lecture on why he thought that ukes should not have pickups...It is still a very nice sounding acoustic uke, but the eletctonics are useless. We did not raise issue with the dealer because it was a while after we bought the thing that the problems happened...a few months anyhow.
Next it was a Kala version of the Eleuke....it was a solid body electric uke with f-holes....My partner picked it out...and I really liked it, but less than a month after I got it it stopped working very suddenly...Right before a show we had to play. We reported it right away to the dealer who said we could return it either to him or to the Kala company.....and foolishly we returned it to the dealer...also...I am kinda busy and I have executive difficulties....and it sorta took me a while to get it into the mail...but I don't think that we returned it within an unreasonable time frame....or if we did, I think the dealer should have spoken up and told us so.
Some time passed and we heard nothing from the dealer. Since it was my partner who ordered the thing, I had to pester him to e-mail the guy and ask him what was up with my uke..and since my partner had a difficult time bothering to e-mail the guy..occasionally I would do so myself.

He would never respond to my e-mails...which I guess were a bit pestery...since I HAVE been frustrated...but I don't think they were completely unreasonable.
A few months down the line I got the word via an e-mail to my partner that Kala had discontinued the uke that we had ordered due to faulty electronics and he said he'd send me an Eleuke instead.....and then silence...I pestered and pestered my partner to please check with him to determine the ETA of this replacement Eleuke...since he will only respond to my partner....but nothing doing...so I sent another e-mail that was never responded to.
I said that at this point, it is more about closure than it is about the actual ukulele...and could we please at least have a refund or something?
There will continue to be silence...the guy a. does not care....b.is annoyed by me...c.is aware that there is not a lot that I can really do since I am in TX and he is in Hawaii..d. Does not want to part with a "free" ukulele from his inventory even though it is a replacement for a defective one....e. Is very busy and has not time to bother with me or any of his other disgruntled customers...As surely I am not the only one..

It has been at least 2 months since my last frustrated e-mail where i pondered to him ways in which I could seek some form of restitution...such as mentioning this to the ukulele community...and I have not mentioned the seller by name in this post.

I have since purchased a Pineapple Eleuke from another source for stage performance purposes...So it is not like I am without a ukulele...I just tend to obsess on things and I would like some form of closure.
I suppose I could contact the companies of the various ukuleles that he deals...Particularly Kala since I have gotten 2 defective Kalas from him...
I wonder whether he may be in the practice of purchasing defective instruments and fixing them and then selling them on Ebay. He does seem to have a pretty big store...and whatnot.
Dunnow...I guess there is also the good old-fashioned BBB...

mds725
05-22-2010, 08:18 PM
If the guy has your money AND the ukulele you bought and has not either replaced the ukulele or sent you a refund, then he's committed a criminal act (he has your money). One option you have would be to report him to the local police in Hawaii and contact the Hawaii Attorney General about filing a formal complaint.

I bought an ukulele from an online dealer (not on eBay but from his own website) and when he didn't either send the ukulele or respond to my emails and phone messages, I went to the website of the police in his city and filled out an online complaint form. I got a call back from a detective. I told him that I was worried that either (1) something had happened to the guy or (2) the guy had basically defrauded me out of the purchase price of the ukulele. When the detective asked me if I wanted to file a formal complaint, I asked him if he could send an officer out to talk to the guy before I decided. I got a call back within a few days from the detective that my money would be refunded, and it was.

If you want to be a little less hardcore, you could send the seller a letter by certified mail with delivery confirmation (if he sent you an ukulele, you should have a mailing address for him) basically telling him that you will contact the police and the Hawaii Attorey General if this matter isn't resolved quickly, give him a deadline to respond (by email, phone, letter) and then contact the police and the AG if you don't hear back. By the way, is it possible that his email service doesn't recognize your email address and is sending your emails to the seller's spam folder? I've had that happen to me too.

There are also eBay and PayPal (if you used PayPal) remedies, but they're largely ineffective and it sounds like you may have waited too long to use them anyway.

AC Baltimore
05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
I can only think of one person this could be and I am shocked.

rasputinsghost
05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
If we are thinking of the same person (I hope that we aren't), I am completely and utterly flabbergasted.

beergeek
05-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Have you tried calling?

luvdat
05-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Following this. The going to spam is a real possibility if your email is similar to your username...maybe. Good luck resolving this. And yes, better to call.

poopylungstuffing
05-22-2010, 10:41 PM
I am a teensy weensy bit autistic...and very very bad at and avoidant of phone conversations. I for some reason thought that my partner had spoken to him a long time ago...He has not been very helpful...not out of neglect...he is just busy and has a one-track mind that he finds difficult to divert...but I have asked him over and over again to please contact the guy and he will say he will and I find out that he hasn't...and that is why i have jumped the gun and e-mailed him myself on a few occasions...I suppose I could try calling him...I called the people who sent me this other homemade defective electric ukulele...That was to no avail either...I am not a very effective verbal communicator I guess..I'd thought about writing a song about him and posting it on the You Tubes...but I thought I might give him a chance to set things right first.

poopylungstuffing
05-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I have had my user name as a stage name for 10+ years.....it does not have specific words in it that would get tagged for spam even if some people find it to be disturbing...:mad:
(it is a play on pippi longstocking)
Both of my e-mail addresses used some variant of my real name and in the past I sent e-mails that were followed up with the guy getting in touch with my partner...so I will get a second-hand account of his response..but no results.

luvdat
05-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I have had my user name as a stage name for 10+ years.....it does not have specific words in it that would get tagged for spam even if some people find it to be disturbing...:mad:

Both of my e-mail addresses used some variant of my real name and in the past I sent e-mails that were followed up with the guy getting in touch with my partner...so I will get a second-hand account of his response..but no results.

I don't find it disturbing but fun...and BTW great vids. Also self-correction: you did send out the uke and you did so when requested to do so.

poopylungstuffing
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I did send the uke...it mighta taken me a bit of time to get it in the mail as it was around the holidays and we were super busy...But I don't think that there was too much of a delay....or if there was, I wish he'd said something...We didn't hear back from him once we shipped it and had to check in with him to make sure he got it. I think my partner was told that it was still under warranty at that point, if I am not mistaken....Time Frame....November 2009...Received it.....it broke right before my band's Christmas show....We notified him...I was slow in getting it in the mail...might have been sometime in February when I shipped it...i am kinda slow/dysfunctional at getting relatively simple things done in a timely matter sometimes...but still..he has my money and my uke...

luvdat
05-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I did send the uke...it mighta taken me a bit of time to get it in the mail as it was around the holidays and we were super busy...But I don't think that there was too much of a delay....or if there was, I wish he'd said something...We didn't hear back from him once we shipped it and had to check in with him to make sure he got it. I think my partner was told that it was still under warranty at that point, if I am not mistaken....Time Frame....November 2009...Received it.....it broke right before my band's Christmas show....We notified him...I was slow in getting it in the mail...might have been sometime in February when I shipped it...i am kinda slow/dysfunctional at getting relatively simple things done in a timely matter sometimes...but still..he has my money and my uke...

I would assume it IS under warranty. Discontinued, faulty electronics...and defintely not just the battery going dead...the problematic aspect: selling a discontinued uke with faulty electronics and the follow up...phone calls need to be made to the dealer.

I made this comment much earlier on the UU forum and I'll make it again and go even further: I see no need for a relative handful of dealers (at this point) to have a virtual monopoly on the sale and distibution of ukuleles. I'm glad that chain stores like Sam Ash esp. have ukuleles more readily available for hands on trying. Most mass produced ukuleles require LITTLE set up (if any) aside from string changes and when they do, why would I want an instrument "set up" when I never even had my hands on it first? Need to have the action lowered? Take it to a shop or swap out the saddle! I am not BTW a big fan of Hawaiian or any other kind of paternalism esp. with respect to ukuleles produced in factories in China...esp. when the promo vids feature ukes that at times aren't even in tune. With respect to Kala one small Mom and Pop dealer recently commented to me that shipping costs even for 2 ukes has now made him decide to stick with Lanikai for the most part...and why must a smaller dealer wait sometimes more than 2 weeks (or even arrival date unknown!!!) for an order while others have a cache of Kalas? The electronics of a lot of less expensive ukes are probably the most vulnerable part of the equation.

Here's a line people reading this thread can feel free to use: "I didn't wake up owing you money." I used it in a restaurant only once...believe it or not, not much of a complainer, LOL...

Kekani
05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
First of all, we know who the seller is - are you kidding?

Given that, why would you buy another uke from the same seller after the first one crapped out?
Regardless, what was the return policy? Time frame? What is the warranty policy (with the distributor, or the dealer)?

What were your expectations? The pickups I use are a measly $120 a pop, and I expect that they'll last. I see a LOT of buyers getting an instrument because it has a pickup inside, without bothering to find out what kind or brand of pickup is in it.

Either way, yours is a rare occurence. You should call.

Most mass produced ukuleles require LITTLE set up (if any) aside from string changes and when they do, why would I want an instrument "set up" when I never even had my hands on it first? Need to have the action lowered? Take it to a shop or swap out the saddle!

I disagree. EVERY instrument should be set up. Unfortunately, in the `ukulele community, this is not generally known. Guitarists know this, or they should. One of my friends, who plays bass, had his acoustic collecting dust because the action is too high. He brought it to my house, truss rod and saddle and 1 hour later, its his go to tool. If you don't want it setup prior to, its probably because you don't know it needs to be, or you want to have it done yourself.

Its the string changes that players think are so easy, that causes the most problems. I've gotten chastised for saying that a nut should be recut when changing strings. So be it - try taking a nut that is slotted for Worths, and change to D'Addario Pro Artes T46's.

The electronics of a lot of less expensive ukes are probably the most vulnerable part of the equation.

Don't disagree with you there.

-Aaron

luvdat
05-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Did I say a ukulele shouldn't be set up? Do all require a set up?

Let's start with the cheapos...

Among the cheapos most "requiring" a set up something like the Makala Dolphin: the one I purchased at Sam Ash just a string change and checked the intonation just fine. Another Dolphin, minor file adjustment at the nut made by myself...Another cheapo not requiring a set up: Makala baritone: changed the strings, great intonation and sound, and playability. A change from Worth's to Pro Artes? Yes, putting on classical guitar strings would indeed require an adjustment.

My point about set ups ( I've been a guitarist for more than 40 years with guitars priced double that of Kamaka tenors) is that a set up is best made after trying things out yourself and if working with a shop to YOUR requirements. From what I've heard frequently this doesn't always translate over the phone very well...at any shop...anywhere in the world. Recent comments post-set ups reveal lowered action with buzzes and not always the best intonation...yeah, QC can suffer when you're cranking out the sales/set ups faster than thr local Sam Ash. It's arguable that this approach is itself amateurish and depends precisely on newbies...who buy into the MYTH of the horrible out of box quality of mass produced budget and modestly priced ukuleles.

With respect to setting up an instrument in a totally different climate from where it's going...another topic? A really good set up BTW with a truss rod can often require an extra day to let things settle down to see where things stand...

Kenkai: thanks BTW for shipping free of charge your condescending tone and first and foremost somewhat disparaging regard for the OP (while ultimately maintaining the "rare occurence" status of the businessman? Or the product?)...supporting yet another point I made about "paternalism." In the same breath as saying "You should have known better" consider the level of hype sustained and afforded this individual...amid the continuing relatively limited availability of budget and modest priced ukuleles in even chain stores that actually carry a particular line.

Kala saves big on shipping costs this way...

haolejohn
05-23-2010, 10:35 AM
No one is perfect. I would try contacting again. You have pretty much called the dealer out here. I believe your issue will be resolved in a timely manner now. Things happen. It sucks but it is life.

leftovermagic84
05-23-2010, 11:02 AM
You have pretty much called the dealer out here.

I hear if you turn out the lights in your bathroom and say his name 3 times into the mirror, you can hear an out of tune uke playing "I'm Yours"...

Kekani
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Did I say a ukulele shouldn't be set up? Do all require a set up?

Let's start with the cheapos...

Among the cheapos most "requiring" a set up something like the Makala Dolphin: the one I purchased at Sam Ash just a string change and checked the intonation just fine. Another Dolphin, minor file adjustment at the nut made by myself...Another cheapo not requiring a set up: Makala baritone: changed the strings, great intonation and sound, and playability. A change from Worth's to Pro Artes? Yes, putting on classical guitar strings would indeed require an adjustment.

My point about set ups ( I've been a guitarist for more than 40 years with guitars priced double that of Kamaka tenors) is that a set up is best made after trying things out yourself and if working with a shop to YOUR requirements. From what I've heard frequently this doesn't always translate over the phone very well...at any shop...anywhere in the world. Recent comments post-set ups reveal lowered action with buzzes and not always the best intonation...yeah, QC can suffer when you're cranking out the sales/set ups faster than thr local Sam Ash. It's arguable that this approach is itself amateurish and depends precisely on newbies...who buy into the MYTH of the horrible out of box quality of mass produced budget and modestly priced ukuleles.

With respect to setting up an instrument in a totally different climate from where it's going...another topic? A really good set up BTW with a truss rod can often require an extra day to let things settle down to see where things stand...

Kenkai: thanks BTW for shipping free of charge your condescending tone and first and foremost somewhat disparaging regard for the OP (while ultimately maintaining the "rare occurence" status of the businessman)...supporting yet another point I made about "paternalism." In the same breath as saying "You should have known better" consider the level of hype sustained and afforded this individual...amid the continuing relatively limited availability of budget and modest priced ukuleles in even chain stores that actually carry a particular line.

Kala saves big on shipping costs this way...

If I sounded condescending, I apoligize, I didn't mean to be. I agree with your definition of setups, when, and where. Unfortunately, there are a lot of players here who don't.

As for the OP, she asked what to do. I suggested (call). I did one further, I called. A refund can be processed, but a call has to be made. We all know the troubles this dealer has been through recently - from a timing perspective, unfortunate on both sides. In the end, a call will fix it all.

-Aaron

luvdat
05-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Aaron, I think we're ultimately on the same side of people and music. To be frank, I think it's time for Kala to make their ukes more available (in conjunction with stores like Sam Ash) to avoid some of this in the future...

And yes, I too think a call is mandatory and stated that earlier. My apologies also for coming on too strong and being condescending myself...all those years of playing guitar...life in NY and NJ....

poopylungstuffing
05-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Calls have been made..my partner has spoken to the guy at least once, but it was a while ago..I really don't know the back story about him....I did not order either uke from him..my partner ordered both of them for me...I didn't even pick them out.
I just recall that the first Kala and the second Kala came from the same dealer...years apart..
It is very hard for me to call people personally...If you see my videos, I can talk, but it is all slow and jumbly. I didn't really mean to call the guy out and slander him all over a ukulele message board. I did mention to him some time ago that maybe i would resort to consulting the ukulele community if the situation was not eventually resolved. My partner reprimanded me for sounding threatening, saying it would not accomplish anything....I didn't mean to sound threatening...but I was talking to a brick wall...I maybe have not handled this in the best way...but I have clinical social dynamics difficulties...so I guess it can make me heavy-handed at times....

Anyway....I guess lets drop it...I will continue to pester my partner to call the guy again...I would try myself even though I talk like a dyslexic 5-year old most of the time....

My apologies for "calling him out".....maybe I should have dropped it.

clayton56
05-23-2010, 01:19 PM
if he has both your money and your uke, for 6 months, he needs to get on the stick and return one or the other to you, fixed if it's the uke. He knows he has your uke, right? So why the delay?

I think a visit from the local policeman is in order, if he's not communicating.

Skrik
05-23-2010, 01:52 PM
if he has both your money and your uke, for 6 months, he needs to get on the stick and return one or the other to you, fixed if it's the uke. He knows he has your uke, right? So why the delay?

I think a visit from the local policeman is in order, if he's not communicating.

+1 Don't give in. (And I don't know who the seller is.)

Huckleberry
05-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I've been following this thread and ,though I sympathize with Poopylungstuffing's problem, I can't help but feel that this is putting the reputable dealers on Ebay under a black cloud. So here's my two cents worth.

I recently ordered a KoAloha Tenor from MGM and was very satisfied with his service. The Ukulele I received was as advertised and delivered on time. It was all set up and just needed tuning. I sent several Emails to him re low G set up and as to type of strings. In each case he Emailed me promptly. I've also ordered Worth strings from him and also received them promptly

I live out in the boonies and do not have the luxury of going to my local Music store so I have to rely on MGM and other internet dealers for my needs.

Bottom line, lets not tag all Ebay dealers as unethical. In my book MGM does it right.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with my ramblings as this was not my intention.

AC Baltimore
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
+1 on nothing but good results dealing with MGM so far. Just ordered another from him.

poopylungstuffing
05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
I am sure there are plenty satisfied MGM customers out there...and maybe some of this has had to do with crossed wires...it seems that some of the e-mails I send wind up in my partner's e-mail box when replied to..and for some reason when they are forwarded to me, I may not necc. find them....Still it has been a really long time. I thought the situation was resolved when he said he was sending me an Eleuke...but weeks when by and it never came.
Maybe he is annoyed with me as a customer...I deal in internet sales, and sometimes things happen and we are not able to process peoples orders in a timely manner due to product shortages and whatnot....Sometimes people e-mail me and I lose track of their e-mail...Similar things could be going on with this guy for all I know. I have just sorta felt as though if I did not pester him, nothing ever would have been done...He would just have our money and the broken uke..and that's that...For all I know, similar would have happened if I had sent it directly to the Kala manufacturer...
There are only one or possibly 2 stores in Houston that have a decent selection of ukes, and we don't like going to one of the stores because the salesmen are very pushy...the other has a few nice ones, but they are very expensive.
My desire for a solid body electric uke stemmed from the fact that I play in a sort of rock band, and the uke can get very drowned out even though it is one of the main instruments...I also like the idea of being able to practice silently with headphones... The electronics on my older Kala crapped out..I had trouble with the nut on the jack always coming off and eventually the whole system shook loose..(Mot likely my fault somehow)...
Um...My Fluke is electric, but I have a very hard time getting a decent sound out of it....In fact if there is a section on this form about Uke amplification, I would like to be directed to it...

I didn't want to cast a dark cloud on the guys reputation...I just want closure...I would prefer another ukulele to a refund...but a refund to our pay pal account would be fine. I am sure the guy must be really really really annoyed with me by now.

didgeridoo2
05-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Since the title of this thread is asking what I would do in your situation, I guess I'll answer quite frankly: You should have called the dealer directly and spoken with him on the phone before posting this on a public forum. I understand that you have a hard time speaking directly when faced with a problem and you stated that your partner isn't someone you can count on, yet you left it up to him. Is there anyone else you could have asked to call for you? It also seems that email isn't necessarily fail safe on your end of things since you confessed that you don't always find them. Even in your line of business you claim that you lose track of your customers' emails and maybe this happened in the uke dealer's case. If it did and he lost track of it, I would not have waited 3 months to deal with this issue. I would've called as soon as I knew there wasn't any tracking info on the promised eleuke replacement. Perhaps they were temporarily out of stock and when they were in stock, he forgot. Eleuke was difficult to find for a while a couple months back.

I have dealt with the dealer and have been happy with my service. I called him the last time I ordered from him and asked him to get in touch with UPS for a change in delivery options on the day it was to be delivered and even though I know he was busy as heck, he did it. If you look at his feedback on ebay, I think it's still 100% positive and with all the business he does, it almost seems impossible to make that many people happy. But he has. It's unfortunate that you fell through the cracks, and you are probably not the first. It's also unfortunate that you received no help in communicating directly with the dealer. If you had, you most likely wouldn't have felt the need to air this out here. I don't think it's wrong to post bad service publicly, especially if you feel you've exhausted every possible option in getting in touch with the dealer (you may feel you have). Since you haven't called to speak directly to the dealer, I think your posting this is a bit premature and unfair to the dealer.

Good luck with this and I hope you get this resolved somehow and if (when) you do, please post here that it was taken care of.

A couple questions...when you originally ordered it, was your partner the contact or were you? This may be why he never responded to you and just to your partner. Also, since you waited a long time between corresponding with him and sending the uke back, is it possible he may have received the uke and not realized why he was receiving it? Did you follow up to make sure he received it?

AC Baltimore
05-23-2010, 05:51 PM
There has to be some sort of mix up, misunderstanding... something. MGM has hundreds, probably thousands of happy customers... I am one of them. His professional reputation is impeccable and he seems to be one hell of a nice guy. Something is a miss here.

Jerkey
05-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Ya whats missing is his side of the story. If it was me being flamed like this I would be on here telling my side of the story. Grow some coconuts MGM and stick up for yourself. Trust me MGM, your silence is hurting your business.

Good Luck

didgeridoo2
05-23-2010, 06:08 PM
yikes. it is the weekend and maybe he's enjoying his and not cruising the underground...

AC Baltimore
05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Ya whats missing is his side of the story. If it was me being flamed like this I would be on here telling my side of the story. Grow some coconuts MGM and stick up for yourself. Trust me MGM, your silence is hurting your business.

Good Luck

That seems a bit harsh and uncalled for.

JT_Ukes
05-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Good Luck

wow.. you're new around here huh?

cletus
05-23-2010, 06:27 PM
I prefer to tend to my own business AND the attached coconuts.

leftovermagic84
05-23-2010, 06:46 PM

Good Luck

just because of this comment I think I'll buy some strings or something.

poopylungstuffing
05-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Since the title of this thread is asking what I would do in your situation, I guess I'll answer quite frankly: You should have called the dealer directly and spoken with him on the phone before posting this on a public forum. I understand that you have a hard time speaking directly when faced with a problem and you stated that your partner isn't someone you can count on, yet you left it up to him. Is there anyone else you could have asked to call for you? It also seems that email isn't necessarily fail safe on your end of things since you confessed that you don't always find them. Even in your line of business you claim that you lose track of your customers' emails and maybe this happened in the uke dealer's case. If it did and he lost track of it, I would not have waited 3 months to deal with this issue. I would've called as soon as I knew there wasn't any tracking info on the promised eleuke replacement. Perhaps they were temporarily out of stock and when they were in stock, he forgot. Eleuke was difficult to find for a while a couple months back.

I have dealt with the dealer and have been happy with my service. I called him the last time I ordered from him and asked him to get in touch with UPS for a change in delivery options on the day it was to be delivered and even though I know he was busy as heck, he did it. If you look at his feedback on ebay, I think it's still 100% positive and with all the business he does, it almost seems impossible to make that many people happy. But he has. It's unfortunate that you fell through the cracks, and you are probably not the first. It's also unfortunate that you received no help in communicating directly with the dealer. If you had, you most likely wouldn't have felt the need to air this out here. I don't think it's wrong to post bad service publicly, especially if you feel you've exhausted every possible option in getting in touch with the dealer (you may feel you have). Since you haven't called to speak directly to the dealer, I think your posting this is a bit premature and unfair to the dealer.

Good luck with this and I hope you get this resolved somehow and if (when) you do, please post here that it was taken care of.

A couple questions...when you originally ordered it, was your partner the contact or were you? This may be why he never responded to you and just to your partner. Also, since you waited a long time between corresponding with him and sending the uke back, is it possible he may have received the uke and not realized why he was receiving it? Did you follow up to make sure he received it?

My partner was the person who ordered the ukes...my partner has spoken to the dealer directly....LOOONG before I ever posted about this on a message board.
He has a very busy schedule and i have to pester and pester him a lot and the lines of communication between us are a bit muddled..that is why I was eventually compelled to contact the guy myself whgen I did.

I sent a note along with the uke when I returned it as well as printed copies of all of the e-mail coorespndance...then after not hearing from him for a while after shipping it back to him, I had my partner contact the guy in order to make sure he received it. I later heard that he did, and would work on fixing it.....then silence.....and so on

poopylungstuffing
05-23-2010, 07:08 PM
That seems a bit harsh and uncalled for.

I have not been trying to flame the guy...I was aware of the remote possibility that some people on this board might be familiar with the guy...but I am not a regular around here...i have no idea how close you all must be to him.
The main forum I post on is a forum for autistic people...I tend to avoid the harsh non-autistic world, though it is interesting to observe how people are naturally "supposed" to think/react to things. I have tried to be well-balanced about this as i can be...
I did mention early-on that I am slightly autistic and have executive dysfunction which means that I have troubles with a lot of things that other people might find to be very simple..like it took me a bit of time to get the thing in the mail to him because I was hung up on minor details like not being able to figure out where to send it and so on.....but it didn't take me an inreasonable amount of time....I sent the cooresponding documentation with the uke and received no word indicating that my delay getting the thing to him somehow disqualified me from receiving any help on the matter. Part of this (I guess) is why my partner ordered the thing..not me..(it was supposed to be a surprise...early x-mas present)......and why I have tried to get him to do the contacting...before resorting to it myself.
It is nobody's fault but my own that maybe I did not pursue this in the most perfect of ways...but the bottom line is that he still has the money and he still has the uke and my partner has made no mention of having any further contact with him on the matter...and I had pestered for him to make contact again but he didn't so I did...and received no response...even though it was from my new private e-mail that would not get filtered into my partner's inbox

I am touched that so many of you are willing to rally to his defense against one single lowly disgruntled customer...this must only be a testament to what a truely great and pwerful and reputable ebay ukulele dealer he must be...

I am sorry to be such a fly in the ointment.

I guess I must be like a bermuda's triangle to the guy somehow

Spooner
05-23-2010, 07:12 PM
What would I do in your situation?

Cut out the middle man in all of this. It sounds like there is a great deal of mis/lack of communication. It doesn't sound like your partner is exactly all over this as YOU should be.
I would be handling this myself since it is my instrument.

It sounds to me like you have found yourself in the perfect storm with the stars aligned just right so you have everything go wrong for you.

Kalas are great ukes. I ALWAYS recommend them to someone who is on a budget or wants something they don't have to worry about as a "beater."
My first uke was a Kala...a USED Kala purchased in Hawaii.
I still have it. I still play it. The thing is awesome.

MGM, I have purchased many ukes from him and sent many people his way.
I had one problem with a Kala that I bought for someone from Mike.
He was nothing but helpful and made sure that the issue was fixed.

You certainly have a gripe that needs to be addressed and I am SURE that you will wind up with a fix or better from MGM when he can and if you didn't void any of the warranties.
People who don't know Mike and are not connected with you who are flaming him in this thread really have no business doing so.

I can tell you from my numerous experiences with Mike that he is one of the MOST reputable in the business. I am certainly not the only one on this forum with this opinion.

There is more to this story than just a simple purchase from what you posted.
2 Kalas gone wrong...that alone surprises me but stranger things have happened.
1 bad experience attached to MGM....that story isn't over yet and am sure it will be resolved beyond your expectations.
A middle man that you have relied on to deal with YOUR issue...not the best way to go IMO.

I'm sorry for your frustration but hang in there. I am sure a resolution is in the works.

poopylungstuffing
05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. It seems like he must be somehow involved in this community..so I guess there is the chance that he will catch wind of this thread and do what he thinks it right...Or maybe since I must seem like an ENOURMOUS bitch to him by now, he will choose to continue to ignore it.
Maybe I am an enormous bitch...Maybe I have done everything wrong....Both ukes were ordered by my partner as surprises without my knowledge though technically my $$ was sorta mine......I have since adopted the habit of ordering my own ukes...regardless of whether they have been the most ideal purchases. Because I have certain neurological deficits...(i am a 34 year old with the emotional maturity and verbal communication skills of a 12-15 year old)...people tend to do what they think is best for me....So I guess i should be satisfied if the most I get from this experience is the lesson to always order my own instruments even if other people insist that they can do a better job at it than I....NOT to order from MGM, as my very own PERSONAL business experiences with him seem to have been completely jinxed...and um...there was another one but I forgot what it was....maybe it had to do with attempting to contact dealers myself and being persistent about it...but that is generally easier when I order the instruments myself.....but even if all I can get from this is a lesson, I still think that a refund on my defective and recalled instrument is not an entirely unreasonable request.

I am also curious as to whether anyone else on the board has ended purchasing one of these defective Kala solid-body defective ukes..only just wondering

rasputinsghost
05-23-2010, 08:04 PM
+1 on no problems with MGM. I ordered some Worth CT strings from him the other day, and he sent me Worth CM strings by mistake. I emailed him and within hours he has the correct set of strings on the way.

poopylungstuffing
05-23-2010, 08:37 PM
he should be proud to have so many willing to stick up for him.
He is the GOD of Ebay ukulele salesmen and the fact that I am such an extreme anomaly must merely be a testament to the extreme defects of my character and the fact that I am actually not a true member of the ukulele community at-large..

My apologies to Music Guy Mic...he must have some very logical and obvious reasons for neglecting my order that I do not ever need to know about. I am sure that every day he has "real" "actual" ukulele players who depend upon his extreme reliability and do so successfully...I will exit this community with my head hung down in shame for viciously slandering this Ebay ukulele dealer God among men...I am sorry....feel free to spam my videos all you want with nasty comments about what a horrible person I am and how I have the voice of a dying cat....I deserve it...cheers...I will exit this community as soon as I can figure out how....
I reckon that if MGM wanted to, he could try to sue me for defamation of character and get away with it just fine....since he is apparently beyond reproach and I am some lowly scum attempting to soil his good name.

the end...thread closed...

luvdat
05-23-2010, 08:37 PM
The issue with the Kalas "going wrong" and being a shocker...first, this issue is with the electronics of 2 ukes. Second, there have been a decent number of folks who have sent Kalas back (to even different dealers?) with buzzing issues, for example. Third, Kala is a company since 2005? Yeah some great stuff and great values, but let's stop acting like Kala has been around forever like Martin guitars or even Ibanez...increases in production can result in decreases in QC...they are what they are: some great values in factory ukes.

Poopy, I think the "uke movement" itself needs to come down to earth...it is NOT the answer to all the world's troubles, LOL...and frankly, I don't consider myself a part of such a "uke movement." Talking about ukes, that's another thing. For me it's about music. Hang in there...

Spooner
05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
He is the GOD of Ebay ukulele salesmen and the fact that I am such an extreme anomaly must merely be a testament to the extreme defects of my character and the fact that I am actually not a true member of the ukulele community at-large..

My apologies to Music Guy Mic...he must have some very logical and obvious reasons for neglecting my order that I do not ever need to know about. I am sure that every day he has "real" "actual" ukulele players who depend upon his extreme reliability and do so successfully...I will exit this community with my head hung down in shame for viciously slandering this Ebay ukulele dealer God among men...I am sorry....feel free to spam my videos all you want with nasty comments about what a horrible person I am and how I have the voice of a dying cat....I deserve it...cheers...I will exit this community as soon as I can figure out how....
I reckon that if MGM wanted to, he could try to sue me for defamation of character and get away with it just fine....since he is apparently beyond reproach and I am some lowly scum attempting to soil his good name.

Poopy...I wasn't trying to imply that there is anything wrong with you by my post.
I was trying to set your mind at ease some.
I realize that you have had a less than stellar experience but what everyone is saying here about MGM is to reinforce that your issue will be resolved...and probably better than you had hoped for.
No ill remarks are being made about you.
We are just trying to help.

Kekani
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
...they are what they are: some great values in factory ukes.

Well said.

As for the OP, and please don't take this as much more than feedback (not criticism, feedback), by telling someone you're bringing it to the boards is always viewed as a threat. The more you call yourself bad things in "MGM's eyes", the more you'll feel like that. I posted earlier that you need to call him - that was two pages ago. Seems the call hasn't been made, or you would've surely responded back with the resolution. How close am I to him? Close, nuff said.

luvdatuke - NY and NJ? Okay, I understand. Just kidding - I stomped around Providence and Long Island a few decades ago, and hung out with NY and NJ guys. Loved 'em! Not all of them, but most of them were cool to me.

-Aaron

Spooner
05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
The issue with the Kalas "going wrong" and being a shocker...first, this issue is with the electronics of 2 ukes. Second, there have been a decent number of folks who have sent Kalas back (to even different dealers?) with buzzing issues, for example. Third, Kala is a company since 2005? Yeah some great stuff and great values, but let's stop acting like Kala has been around forever like Martin guitars or even Ibanez...increases in production can result in decreases in QC...they are what they are: some great values in factory ukes.

As someone who had the green light to be an authorized Kala dealer (BECAUSE I believe in their work) but never went ahead with selling, I can tell you this which you may or may not know.
EVERY Kala dealer is RESPONSIBLE for the set up of each Kala.
They don't come set up.
Buzzing coming from a new uke is a set up issue.
With ANY instrument maker you are bound to have some problems..even Taylors or Martins...with a few coming off the press so to speak.
You can have defects with a custom builder or a production company. It's the nature of the beast.
2005 you say...well in that short amount of time they have built up a great reputation BECAUSE their products ARE great.
You said it yourself..great values.
I don't recall seeing anyone "acting" like they have been around as long as Martin.
All I see is people speaking from experience.
If you have a Kala or ever owned one feel free to post your experiences.
I don't see anything mentioned in your post about YOUR experiences with Kalas.
All I see from you are posts about the negative experiences you have read from others people's posts.

luvdat
05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Someone said (John of the Ladder) that people in a community are like pebbles in a jar which when moved around smoothe one another out.

Kala/Makala: own 2 Dolphins, pineapple, KA-15S and a Makala baritone. Plan on getting a spruce top tenor. Had ordered a solid acacia soprano, ended up (by mistake) with a concert. Had it for awhile, not impressed. Have on this forum recommened Kala more than any other company probably but not much beyond a certain price point...consider for example Curly mangos money to be saved towards better options. Do other people love them? Yes, that fine with me but not for me. The Dolphins and the Makala baritone esp. are my favorites of the bunch.

Set ups with most Kala factory ukes (the truth): tuning it up after changing the strings? Most of them already come with Aquilas. I stand by this. For the most part, this "needs a set up" thing is sheer nonsense...not nonsense though for people who need ultra low action...and I've previously stated that I'm not against all set ups or adjustments.

The fact that you suggest that "buzzing" is (always?) a set up issue with a new uke leads me to refer you to recent threads where a bridge screw (construction) was at issue.

Martins, yes for me, Taylors no.

didgeridoo2
05-23-2010, 09:13 PM
OP - Thanks for answering the questions I posed. The real issue here is that you need resolution and I think you are misinterpreting the gist of most of the folks here. I know it's easy to become defensive when so many people seem to be pushing back at you because you have an issue with a very trusted dealer, who does what he does very well. And he generally goes beyond the call of duty for most of his customers. This isn't a popularity contest. Ukes cost us money and are valuable to most of us. Having a resource like the dealer mentioned is invaluable to most of us because of those reasons. Because of his reputation here and on ebay, most of us are willing to give him the benefit of doubt and the assumption is a communication breakdown. Whether it's with you, or your unwilling partner, or just snafu on the dealer's end of things. I think most people here will tell you that there is no maliciousness on the dealer's part.

If you can come here and ask a bunch of strangers for advice, I assume you can ask someone in your personal life to make a call for you if you just aren't able to do it. That's all. You will be taken care of if you truly have recourse. Please stick around and contribute to this community if you wish to. There is no need to excuse yourself because of what you may feel is backlash, when it really is just reassurance that this will work out. Just call.

AC Baltimore
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Personally, I don't understand how a defective Kala would result in the offer of a eleuke. They for the most part are not on the same price point and they are two different companies. If the Kala was in fact defective, MGM would accept a return and take it up with the dealer... no? So how could he then replace that defective unit with another brand. This would come out of his pocket but be Kala's responsibility. Some things just don't add up here. I find it hard to believe with his reputation, MGM would accept a return then act like it never happened.

Just my two cents.

luvdat
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Personally, I don't understand how a defective Kala would result in the offer of a eleuke. They for the most part are not on the same price point and they are two different companies. If the Kala was in fact defective, MGM would accept a return and take it up with the dealer... no? So how could he then replace that defective unit with another brand. This would come out of his pocket but be Kala's responsibility. Some things just don't add up here. I find it hard to believe with his reputation, MGM would accept a return then act like it never happened.

Just my two cents.

Need for an amplified uke, maybe same uke with reported issues? Price point? The kala archtop around $265 with some money returned or something? We're all presuming the battery was OK....or changed when it was taken to a shop and checked?

As an aside, glad to see other options being explored like Makai. AC.

phanzo
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Some things just don't add up here. I find it hard to believe with his reputation, MGM would accept a return then act like it never happened.
Ditto. I've been around long enough to know of MGM's rep and some things definitely seem weird. I don't usually get involved in these types of threads but I find it necessary to repeat that the OP needs to CALL Mike directly and get it sorted out. Mike is a very busy person, but he doesn't neglect customers in such ways.

Give him a call. Make sure you guys are on the same page and everything should work out, beyond your expectations. I buy all of my ukes from UkeRepublic, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from MGM either. If the situation is as stated, he will take care of it...

Good luck.

didgeridoo2
05-23-2010, 09:38 PM
One thing I can't figure out is, what is this solid body Kala? I can't find any pictures of one anywhere. Did I miss the boat on these, or are we talking about the jazz uke?

luvdat
05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
One thing I can't figure out is, what is this solid body Kala? I can't find any pictures of one anywhere. Did I miss the boat on these, or are we talking about the jazz uke?

Referred to as a version...I think so.

FourChordWonder
05-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Just my two cents.

If I remember correctly, the Kala solid body ukes, along with numerous other companies, were re-branded Eleukes from the old factory. Lots of those ukes had faulty electronics and overall build quality issues. Once Eleuke switched factories, most of those re-branded ukes disappeared. That's probably why an Eleuke was being sent in place of a Kala.

buddhuu
05-24-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm not entirely happy with some of the content of this thread, so I'm locking it for review. Please bear with me.

buddhuu
05-24-2010, 01:14 AM
OK.

The OP has a justified concern.

@poopylungstuffing: I would get your partner to speak to the dealer personally on the telephone. If the dealer is indeed MGM then a LONG history of reliability and honourable dealing would suggest that there is a genuine reason for the communication issues. If Mike is currently able to access the forum then I expect he will be aware of this thread.

A phone call is the sensible course. If you can't do it, then get your partner to do it. Also, you could both send emails in case he has lost contact details.

I have sympathy with anyone who experiences difficulties due to autism. One of my grandsons has some mild probs in that area. However, that said, posts that come across as bitter and sarcastic achieve nothing. I would respectfully suggest that emails in a similar tone might also be less than effective.

When you have contacted Mike, by all means let us know how things are going.

Good Luck
I know you're a new member, Jerkey, but please... This kind of post helps nothing. Trust me.

I'm unlocking in case poopylungstuffing or MGM have info to share, but please lets not have a heap of guesswork and uninformed speculation.

Skrik
05-24-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm unlocking in case poopylungstuffing or MGM have info to share, but please lets not have a heap of guesswork and uninformed speculation.

Buddhuu FTW!

Mim
05-24-2010, 02:50 AM
When researching my first uke I called MGM and was suprised to hear "Hi! This is Mike!" on the phone! I was thinking with all the business he does surely he would not have time to answer the phone, much less answer my silly question. So yeah, great guy from my experience. Give 'em a call! I am sure he will work it out :) I would think the lapse in time probably had a lot to do with it!

But I sure hope MGM does not feel like he has to come on this thread and say anything either way. Because it is a double edged sword. Basically, if you think about it, he has 2 choices:

1. Come on here and redeem himself and the only way to do that is to blame the customer, which is a bad rep to get and something I know he would not do.

2. Admit he dropped the ball, whether he did or not.

So, let us say it us an unusual situation with a bit o' miscommunication and hope with the advice of making a phone call it can be resolved.

Good luck Poopy! I hope it works out for you! No head hung in shame please! We all have our struggles! And communication issues are a hard struggle to overcome (I just about wanted to take a kids head off yesterday for a perception that he was laughing at my son for his reading, he is from Ethiopia and struggles with communication and reading, so we understand lack of communication and language struggles in our home). Find someone trusted to make the call for you! Good luck!

sukie
05-24-2010, 03:36 AM
Good luck getting this problem solved. I'm another satisfied customer of MGM. Very satisfied. Perhaps he is out of town or something. It's way too bad you are having a less than stellar transaction with MGM. He will make it right if possible. (No, he probably won't give you a KoAloha for your troubles (I say that in fun) but he WILL make it right.

Please don't think you are not part of the ukulele community. The mere fact you own an ukulele puts you in the community. There are lots of different characters making up the ukulele community. That's one of the wonderful things about the ukulele. Once you get this resolved you'll start having a ball. Best wishes,

Sukie

hoosierhiver
05-24-2010, 04:44 AM
In the past I've observed that whenever a member posts a complaint about a uke dealer/maker without first talking to that person and trying to resolve the issue, the OP rightly or not always gets slammed by other members.

MGM is a great guy and hangs out here alot, but he should not feel like he has to check the forum every hour to defend himself from possible attack. Complaints should go directly to his business. I hope Mike has been away having a great weekend. I'm sure this issue will be resolved and this thread will probably only help cement his reputation as a great asset to the community with all the positive comments about his consistant excellent service.

poopylungstuffing
05-24-2010, 04:46 AM
I couldn't find any info about it after I got it either...I showed it off in a video, but I don't have any photographs so bear with me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkC5qGfdbw&feature=related

poopylungstuffing
05-24-2010, 04:57 AM
Contact had been made with the dealer over the course of several months with no resolution...I personally can't talk to him in person on the phone very well, and I am sure that at this point, he would certainly have no interest whatsoever in having to talk to me....but my partner has spoken to him on more than one occasion..and several e-mails have been sent to no avail. Once I figure out how to leave this forum I will be outta here for good. Obvioulsy nobobdy has really been attacking him..I started the thread not mentioning his name but it seems everybody already knew who he was. The general concensus has been that I must have done something wrong since the seller has a pristine repuation and that i am bad for even mentioning my troubles on a ukulele forum. I keep getting blamed for not calling, but calls have been made...by the person who ordered the uke for me.

luvdat
05-24-2010, 05:01 AM
That uke is NOT the archtop now in the Kala catalog. A prototype or earlier model now discontinued (as stated)?

Paul December
05-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Has this case been finally resolved? I hope so.
Regarding the previous comments about Set-Ups...
...of the last 6 ukes I've purchased, 3 were Set-Up by "trusted sellers" of the forum, and 3 were straight-from-the-factory. 2 of the Set Up ukes had problem, while the other three were perfect.
Interestingly, the 3 that came straight out of the box (2 of which were drop shipped) already had Aquilas on them, nicely finished frets, and spot-on intonation.
The next factory uke I buy will be based solely on price.

Skitzic
05-24-2010, 05:19 AM
I struggled with a fairly bad stutter for many years, so I understand your hesitation to make one final call yourself. It always helped if I wrote down what I wanted to say, so I could keep my ramblings on track.

I believe if you (or someone who has more time than your partner) called again, and explained the whole situation, you could get this resolved once and for all. Whomever calls, you should be with them when they make the call. That way you would know for certain it happened, and you would know exactly what was going on.

Good luck lady. I wouldn't let this sour you to MGM or UU though. Sometimes you get a bad egg, I got two bad watermelons before I got one that was playable. I haven't let it sour me to the dealer (not MGM) or Kala, it just happens sometimes. I had a few terrible purchases from Amazon, but I still order from them.

Sometimes you just need to roll with the punches and realize that crap happens.

Skrik
05-24-2010, 05:31 AM
The general concensus has been that I must have done something wrong since the seller has a pristine repuation and that i am bad for even mentioning my troubles on a ukulele forum.

For what it's worth, my take on this is that something has gone wrong somewhere, and that the odds are that there is no blame to be placed on either party. Sometimes communication breaks down: it's just one of those things that happens from time to time.

I can see that some of the replies here appear to be hostile to you, but please don't forget to look at the support you have received. There are not necessarily sides to be taken; those who support you simply hope that this matter is resolved as quickly as possible for you -- it's no fun to be out of pocket.

Sambient
05-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Contact had been made with the dealer over the course of several months with no resolution...I personally can't talk to him in person on the phone very well, and I am sure that at this point, he would certainly have no interest whatsoever in having to talk to me....but my partner has spoken to him on more than one occasion..and several e-mails have been sent to no avail. Once I figure out how to leave this forum I will be outta here for good. Obvioulsy nobobdy has really been attacking him..I started the thread not mentioning his name but it seems everybody already knew who he was. The general concensus has been that I must have done something wrong since the seller has a pristine repuation and that i am bad for even mentioning my troubles on a ukulele forum. I keep getting blamed for not calling, but calls have been made...by the person who ordered the uke for me.

Dear heart, please read my words: no one here has called you a bad person. You came for advice, plenty of people have suggested getting in touch again. You're seeking a solution, and communication has been the resounding answer. We understand this is not one of your strengths, but it appears to be what folks think you need to do.

When people are standing up on behalf of someone, it is not to antagonize the other person (you).

I would not want you to leave these forums. There's no reason for that.

When you make that call, you need to be prepared. First thing you need is to keep the mindset that you are going to solve a problem. And once you solve this problem you are going to feel really terrific. This is moving forward and you definitely can do this. The other thing you need is as much information as you can provide. Auction number, dates, things like that.
You can take your time when speaking. Since you came here asking for help, you can ask for help in your conversation: "please be patient with me."
Pick up the phone and try. If you are not successful, then have your partner do it. Insist. This is important to you and your partner needs to understand that. A solution can be achieved, but it's going to take work. The phone call you make now is not the same communication you've already had, so you're not really repeating the same action but expecting different results. This is new action. This is now. And this is something we'd all like to see resolved. No one here wants a girl to be without her ukulele! Can I hear an "amen"?

The emotion with which my message is intended is to suggest calmness and reason. It is a show of support for what you need to do. With you, not against you.

Achieve. And come back and play with us.

SailingUke
05-24-2010, 05:34 AM
With as much business as MGM does, I am not surprised that he goofs once in a while.
My dealings with him have always been first class. He is helpful and seems to go that extra step to make all go well.
I doubt one dissatisfied buyer will crash his business. I believe there are many UU'ers who also respect MGM and enjoy doing business with him.
Good Luck with your problem, I am sure if there is anything MGM can do to solve the issue he will.

MoreUke
05-24-2010, 05:38 AM
This is an unfortunate situation. Having difficulty with communication over the phone is tough. I see Poopylungstuffing has made videos. Haven't listened to any of them yet because I need additional amplification beyond the computer. But perhaps if she makes a video and describes the situation. Skitzic suggestion of writing notes down before a phone call sounds great, you could do the same thing with making a video. With making a video you could record and re-record until you are happy with the video. One of the good folks here that the dealer knows could send the link to Mike to view. I've had a few dealings with Mike. None of them involved an instrument. But I can say he is incredibly fast with the deals.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

dkcrown
05-24-2010, 05:59 AM
I have been following this thread today and find a couple of things out of character. First, the feeling of community that this forum usually generates is missing and second, the idea that MGM would not take care the problem. I understand that Mike is an important part of this community, but I have to agree with Hoosierhiver. Both of the parties involved should be given the benefit of the doubt. I have bought a number of ukes and accesories from Mike and have spoken to him many times. One time I had to return a uke to him because of what I considered sub-standard quality. No problem. Return accepted and a replacement promptly shipped out. However, sometimes things slip through the cracks.

Some of the best things about this forum are the comaraderie and general acceptance of all of its members. I hope that you will reconsider leaving poopylungstuffing. I personally think that you are a welcome member of this community.

AC Baltimore
05-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Has this case been finally resolved? I hope so.
Regarding the previous comments about Set-Ups...
...of the last 6 ukes I've purchased, 3 were Set-Up by "trusted sellers" of the forum, and 3 were straight-from-the-factory. 2 of the Set Up ukes had problem, while the other three were perfect.
Interestingly, the 3 that came straight out of the box (2 of which were drop shipped) already had Aquilas on them, nicely finished frets, and spot-on intonation.
The next factory uke I buy will be based solely on price.

I can only offer my own experience in response that that. I have bought 4 ukes. One was from MGM and the other 3 factory. Mike's plays perfect, the factory setups were awful.

insaneinthemembrane
05-24-2010, 07:13 AM
I contacted Mic at MGM about 8 days ago [aprox?] he was still in Hawaii at the time, but was leaving for Florida that afternoon, he told me. So, maybe that explains why he has not seen and replied to this complaint?
I certainly understand the frustration poopylongstockings is feeling. She probably is not "well to do" financially.
I also can see from her own explanations, how things could have REALLY gotten confusing for MGM.
Delay in shipping back, getting emails from 2 different people about the same item. Phone calls that her partner may or may not have ever made??? Unless poopylingstockings actually heard the phone conversation? Then more delays in communication.
Poopylongstockings, you should not give up, you have a refund or uke due to you.
I'm new here myself, but I do not see that anyone here is against you? In fact, it should be encouraging to you, when you see so many people believing in Mic.
Imagine if the replies to your post were to the effect "This dealer has ripped so many peole off you may as well just move on"?? Then your situation would appear hopeless! Instead, everyone seems SURE that Mic at MGM will make this right with you.
So cheer up, get your info together on your uke and call Mic. If you are uncomfortable, tell him straight up at first about your autistic problem. If you can't do that, i'd forget about your "partner" and get a friend or family member to call MGM for you-with you listening to the call.
Remember, he may still be out of state! If you call, his employees will tell you and you can leave a message for him to call you back.
I really hope this works out and I see no reason it won't-IF YOU OR A DEPENDABLE FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER MAKE A CALL. {Not your "partner" who has accomplished nothing for you in the last 5months with this!
This is a very helpful forum and you really should hang around!
Best wishes:
Chuck

clayton56
05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Maybe he is annoyed with me as a customer...

Well, it's a business, and he's obligated to take care of things. I sell on the internet also, and if I get a return in the mail I take care of it right away. I have to!

Not too long ago I had a complaint that my customer's item didn't arrive (lost in the mail). He was very rude and obnoxious so I refunded him immediately so as not to have to deal with him anymore. That was my choice. Chances are he got both the item and his money back. The point is, if the seller or his staff is annoyed with you, that's no excuse for hanging on to both your money and your item.

Once a returned item arrives, the seller is obligated to resolve the issue, I can't think of any excuses.

You ought to call him yourself, don't worry about your speech, they will just have to be 1/100th as patient as you have been.

MGM
05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
The best way to resolve this is to call me directly.. 757-777-7873 There are many factors in this which made this complictaed aloha mgm

AC Baltimore
05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
There are many factors in this which made this complictaed

I figured as much.

haolejohn
05-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Calls have been made..my partner has spoken to the guy at least once, but it was a while ago..I really don't know the back story about him....I did not order either uke from him..my partner ordered both of them for me...I didn't even pick them out.
I just recall that the first Kala and the second Kala came from the same dealer...years apart..
It is very hard for me to call people personally...If you see my videos, I can talk, but it is all slow and jumbly. I didn't really mean to call the guy out and slander him all over a ukulele message board. I did mention to him some time ago that maybe i would resort to consulting the ukulele community if the situation was not eventually resolved. My partner reprimanded me for sounding threatening, saying it would not accomplish anything....I didn't mean to sound threatening...but I was talking to a brick wall...I maybe have not handled this in the best way...but I have clinical social dynamics difficulties...so I guess it can make me heavy-handed at times....

Anyway....I guess lets drop it...I will continue to pester my partner to call the guy again...I would try myself even though I talk like a dyslexic 5-year old most of the time....

My apologies for "calling him out".....maybe I should have dropped it.

I think you did fine. Sometimes a "call out is needed. As I mentioned earlier, No one is perfect.

UkuleleHill
05-24-2010, 08:50 AM
The best way to resolve this is to call me directly.. 757-777-7873 There are many factors in this which made this complictaed aloha mgm

I am glad this sounds like it will be resolved. I hope it is and that you (poopylungstuffing) will decide to stay. I love UU and I think you will grow to love it too! :)

poopylungstuffing
05-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I still don't think that I can call myself....I will have my partner call when he gets home.

haolejohn
05-24-2010, 09:22 AM

I don't think you are trying to soil anyone's name. I mentioned earlier that you called a dealer out but I didn't read where you mentioned this dealer until later. Just by posting an issue in an online forum makes the issue exposed and then called out. Even a little austistic is still autistic. I understand that communication isn't the easiest for you and I applaud your courage for mentioning your problem. I am sure that the problem will be resolved. Hopefully your partner did send the emails and what not. No need to apologize yet. If you are telling the truth then stick to your guns.

haolejohn
05-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Poopy, I think that you should stick around. you mentioned that you have called or your partner has called numeroous times. MGM does have a steller reputation (by that I mean outstanding) and it isn't often that he is called out. No one is perfect and it is in our inperfections that we shine. I once questioned kala's QC on the new dolphins and I was kind of flamed by a few people. You have a legetimate concern and I am sure that MGM will take care of you and not b/c everyone expects him to but b/c he is MGM (I have never bought a uke from him btw and I refer everyone to ukerepublic b/c he is a friend of mine) and he is ukulele seller extordinare:)

haolejohn
05-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I still don't think that I can call myself....I will have my partner call when he gets home.

You can do it. I know it might be hard for you but you can do it. Just rehearse it before you call. I have faith in you:)

Sambient
05-24-2010, 10:35 AM

On the other end of that phone will be someone expecting to be able to help you and make things right. I think it's worth trying. Plenty of us are rootin' for you kiddo. Not only do we want to see you satisfied, we'd love to see you accomplish this performance. That would be such a win!

luvdat
05-24-2010, 10:43 AM
I've come to consider the absolute requirement of a phone call somewhat ridiculous in this matter, especially, when on a public forum the business party acknowleges knowing about the matter and could easily attend to an email. There is no such "requirement" to resolve this matter. She is not legally under any obligation to make a phone call and can validly choose to resolve this through emails and proper identification. In fact, it is indeed in written communciations that the most solid and legal-standing transactions are made. Moreover, considering at least one verbal promise was already made or perceived as such?, why should poopy or anyone want it "only in verbal" as if that were the highest standard? It isn't. Verbal contracts are notoriously flimsy. Poopy is perfectly capable of expressing herself in writing. But that it NOT the issue. In the case of emails, recipt can be requested for verification. At her expense she needs to call Hawaii now? In writing would also benefit the said business party?

In writing is ALWAYS better!!! Especially when dealing with a ukulele that Kala doesn't even make or sell anymore...at least not in the 2010 catalog...and from memory, not in the 2009. See how much more effective WRITING can be?

In short. while attempts to encourage her to call are well-meaning, she is NOT required to make a phone call, and frankly if I were her I would attempt to resolve this matter in writing.

Things said over the phone can always be denied (unless recorded?) but emails sent and saved...not so easily. As they say in the medical field, "If it ain't in writing it never happened." people also send important communciations though certified mail.

Sambient
05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Valid points and good suggestions. The one advantage a phone call has is actually knowing you've been heard and not ignored or forgotten.

luvdat
05-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Valid points and good suggestions. The one advantage a phone call has is actually knowing you've been heard and not ignored or forgotten.

No disrespect Sam, because you're kinder than I am, but phone calls are why we're here on this thread. Considering this is a person who admittedly shuns phone calls and expresses herself better in writing, why would a mensch like MGM want to subject a customer to such an experience when it could also be readily resolved through emails?

In the midst of this are we talking about less than $300? (Not asked from the side of the customer.)

Why not coach MGM to respond by email? He's a nice guy. Writing protects both parties.

MGM
05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
a phone call is not a requirement it is just the easiest and fastest way to resolve anything i have received and replied to a email from the party just received. Yes no one is perfect and even I overlook and make mistakes consider i handle over 100 phone calls and over a thousand emails a day. This was a communication and mistake on my part but will easily be resolved....We do our best as humanly possible,, no excuses but you guys read into so much much which is simply not there and speculate and guess and discuss the mattter to extreme what ifs and assumptions.

leftovermagic84
05-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Honestly, MGM, I think your (and other dealers) presence on this board is already going above and beyond as far as customer service. Its unfortunate that accidents happen, but thank you for continuing to drop by this forum to answer our questions.

luvdat
05-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Resolved by email!!!

MGM, be grateful we speculate, guess and discuss...that's part of the profile of folks who keep buying ukuleles, LOL...

MGM
05-24-2010, 11:32 AM
to make things more difficult i have been overseas the last two weeks and communication was even more troublesome with international phone charges and internet charges

luvdat
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
to make things more difficult i have been overseas the last two weeks and communication was even more troublesome with international phone charges and internet charges

You need more staff dude...I'm coming down there to help you!!! I'll be closer to my in-laws!!! I'll sacrifice the Jersey shore and weather!

The great thing about working with other men is that you can say "@#$%" you to each other then an hour later be having lunch together. True or false?

phanzo
05-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Why not coach MGM to respond by email?

This makes no sense. He responds to hundreds of emails per day, many within minutes of receiving. He doesn't need to be "coached" on anything. The issue is being dealt with accordingly.

luvdat
05-24-2010, 11:39 AM
This makes no sense. He responds to hundreds of emails per day, many within minutes of receiving. He doesn't need to be "coached" on anything. The issue is being dealt with accordingly.

Exactly. No need to coach him. He DID reply by email...dealt with...let me teach you about Russian irony...

phanzo
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
...let me teach you about Russian irony...

please do...

Melissa82
05-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm closing this thread as it has served its purpose. It is now up to the OP to solve his issue.