Best Tenor For Around $400.?? Lehua?

bucky_joe

Reaction score
Greetings!

What is the best Tenor for about $400.

I used to play a cedar top Lehua Tenor (8 years ago, $250.) I really liked. Was considering buying another. Noticed they don't make'em w/ the cedar top any longer.

I finger pick Jazz, Classical, etc.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks',

Buck

A Pono with rosewood and cedar top.... The best around for the money and types of music you play. The fretboards and necks aren't narrow like one most of the other Chinese tenors. They feel just like my custom Ko'olau, minus the radius. I play all of the same styles as you.

Last edited:
+1 on the Kala line. I've got a tenor acacia with open headstock and love this thing. It gets lots of play and seems to be opening up already. I fitted it with a Mi-Si system and it sounds great both acoustically and amplified. MGM has a good deal on them right now.

+1 on the Kala line. I've got a tenor acacia with open headstock and love this thing. It gets lots of play and seems to be opening up already. I fitted it with a Mi-Si system and it sounds great both acoustically and amplified. MGM has a good deal on them right now.

+2 for Kala, +1 for acacia tenor, I love love love it.

I have to agree with austin1. I'm more and more impressed with my acacia tenor every time I play it. I looked at Lehua before I got the Kala and it was just okay (to me). I have Pro Artes on mine and it sounds sweet enough for finger picking Jazz and Classical too. I don't know much about Pono, but I really like the feel of the neck on my Kala.

"Best" doesn't really mean anything by itself. Without qualification its all subjective.
You'll get a different answer from everyone.

The $250-$400 range is pretty much every factory manufacturer.

You did say finger-picking, but not your preference for neck-style, volume, tone, wood, durability, decoration, tuners, scale length, bridge-style, etc...etc...

Not that you need to know all of it, but details help narrow down what "best" means to you.

I'm gonna chime in here with a Mainland recommendation but Grumpy is right. You weren't specific enough.

+3 on the Kala Acacia Tenor, it is built like a tank, but it sounds and plays great ! Good Buy imo.
I also agree with Craig on the narrow neck remark, and Grumpy is also correct, but then again some of us do not have access or ukulele exposure (shops and clubs) to test all these instruments.

Gentlemen!

Thank you for the insights.

I'm going to gamble ordering a tenor on-line so please excuse any semblance of apprehension or ignorance on my part. It appears the Kala and Pono tenor ukuleles have a following, and with that, you've been very helpful.

At a time in the past this plucker accumulated seven ukuleles of various descriptions, however, I'm somewhat ukeless now with
exception to a Fluke tenor that was bought several weeks ago. The years away from the instrument have not been kind with regard to Chopinian ornaments. (insert smiley face here)

B# and you can C

Thanks' Again,

Buck

You can't go wrong with a Mainland Red Cedar.

Top Bottom