Seeking Advice/Direction of an 'Ukulele Luthier

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Let me preface by saying I'm not a luthier, but have done a fair amount of nut/saddle shaping, fret levels, pickup installs, refinish jobs, etc. on guitars. I've never gotten into the build part, nor have I gotten into neck resets or bridge/body repairs. I do basic setup work but beyond that I don't and haven't dabbled. I say that so you know I can probably understand your explanations, but their execution is beyond my experience.

I've got a used 'ukulele in hand right now that I really want to keep. I was going to send it back as it's in the few day inspection period the seller offered, but if there's any chance of an easy fix, I want to keep it.

First off, I don't think the seller was trying to get one by on me. The uke was strung tight when I received it, and I believe the issues are a combination of the tension/heat in the back of the UPS truck. It was in the 90's the day it arrived so I'm sure the back of the truck was well over 100.

There is a slight pulling up of the bridge, enough that I can see glue separation and slide a piece of paper under it. The worst is on the A string side where I can slide the paper corner first and get it to reach half the distance of the bridge width. I'm getting buzzing vibrations, not from fret buzz, but from the bridge area that I can't isolate. It seems to be sympathetic to high G, G# on the G string, C#, D on the C string, F, F#, G, G# on the E string, and open A, G, G#, A on the A string. This is all when plucked or strung with moderate force...nothing out of the ordinary.

I've looked around inside with my dental mirror and don't see any loose braces, I rechecked the electronics wiring to make sure it was fastened properly and not vibrating, pulled the saddle and checked for anything around it and the pickup that could be causing an issue, and tightened all screws/nuts from headstock to body.

I really like this uke, but need it to be stage worthy...these vibrations just won't work. I'm also concerned about the bridge continuing to degrade now that it has started to pull. I'd like to keep this but don't know what else to do besides taking it to someone to look at, and I don't know any uke luthiers in my area. As much as I love it, I don't want a decent deal on a used uke to end up costing more than a new one would when all is said and done.

I'm hoping someone here has run into this and can make an educated guess as to what's going on. If you're into doing repairs as well as building, please send me a PM as to what ballpark your charges would be to repair this and I'll know if it changes the balance of whether I keep this one and have it repaired, or if I send it back and continue my quest.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. I'm set to ship this back tomorrow if I can't figure out something today...it's not fair to the seller for me to hang onto it while I make up my mind.

Last edited:
The logic side of my head says send it back
But if you have developed an attachment to this perticular uke send it to a pro
I'm like you I tinker with stuff but I'm no luthier
There's to many different toys for me to specialize
let us know how it turns out :)

Thanks for the reply. I've decided to part with it...I just don't have the time for new projects right now.

The "fix" would probably involve some deep throat clamps, cauls, and good quality glue. That's assuming that the only thing wrong is the bridge lifting. My guess is if that's bad, there's probably more hidden stuff as well.

Your fix is the best. Send it back.

The uke should never have been shipped with the strings tightened. The bridge needs to be removed and reglued, that should fix it up. Of course the inside should be checked out really well by a luthier, especially the top braces and bridge patch...

Last edited:
Hot hide glue or Titebond original are commonly used. You don't want the strongest glue available but rather one in which the parts can be disassembled if necessary. In the case of the uke mentioned above, the glue did exactly what it was supposed to do. It failed and sacrificed the bridge in lieu of doing more damage to the uke--like pulling the top off.
Never ship an instrument with the strings tightened..........

Top Bottom