Koaloha vs. kanilea

uke philly

Reaction score
Hey people of the UU forums. I live over here on the east coast and the ukulele has yet to become popular. This means that ukulele shops are meager and non-existant. I've decided on a koaloha or kanilea or kamaka. I figure that i can find some kamaka's in NY,NY like wise of koaloha. but the "dark horse" seems to be kanilea. If anyone has any of these three and would like to give some helpful advice that would be awesome.

I have a KoAloha Concert and it is a wonderful instrument. It is very responsive, increasingly light, and very loud for its size. The wood on mine is crazy dark and striped Koa.IMG_7314.jpgIMG_7315.jpgIMG_7321.jpg

I play it constantly and it plays like butter. I have owned several expensive guitars and KoAloha is easily their equal it not better.

That being said, I would like a Tenor in the future and am looking at KoAloha and Mya-Moe. I think both break the traditional mold in build and the end results are fantastic.

We've got one of each. There is no wrong answer. They're all good in their own way.

Since this nearly exact thread has popped up a few times in recent memory, I might suggest a site search as a good place to start. The info you seek is here if you dig a little.

Not sure that I would agree that the ukulele has yet to become popular on the east coast. The uke craze is in full swing here in MA. I was at the Music Emporium two weeks ago to pick up a Moore Bettah custom tenor and Joe the owner said that they are selling a ton of ukes.

With regards to your original question, KoAloha, KoAloha, KoAloha. I have four of them and one Kanilea. I general they are louder and more resonant than Kanileas. Kanileas do have a nicer finish, if you go with the UV.

A while ago, I owned a Kamaka soprano and a Kanile"a concert - both "standard" models. Time to add a tenor -right? So, why not go for a KoAloha to round out the stable. In Northern California, with access to some fine ukulele stores, I was able to put a KoAloha, a Kamaka and a Kanile"a tenor side by side by side. Visually, it was clearly either the Kamaka or the Kanile'a - both perfection of workmanship. All were strung with aquila - high G. Playability and tone, it was either the KoAloha or the Kanile'a. After a lot of back and forth comparison, I now own two Kanile'as. It all depends on how things look and sound to an individual on a given day, but on that day, for my eye and ear, Kanile'a won again.

Both are fine instruments. If you played 2 kanilea ukulele each would probably sound slightly different. It is just the nature of the materials and building instruments. To really tell what you wouldl ike you have to play the instrument. Although the East Coast does not seem to have the same selections as the West Coast there are plenty of dealers out here. check out the Ukulele stores thread for some help on finding shops.

I've tried all three and am decidedly a Kanilea fan. The tone of a Kanilea uke blows me away every time. The sustain goes and goes and goes. The setup is like no other - they play like BUTTER.

But that's just me. Everyone has to decide for themselves.

I have one of each. My Kamaka is a tenor strung with low g (Fremont blacklines). My Kanile'a is a K2 tenor strung high g with Worth CT strings, and my KoAloha is a Pineapple Sunday currently strung with Worth BL strings.

It is not a straight comparison for me because the Pineapple Sunday is not like a regular tenor (it has a brighter tone and actually I find the body shape a lot less easy to play). But I have played a KoAloha tenor in the past so I will try to give you my advice based on that ukulele.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

I think the KoAloha probably has the best tone of the three. It has great volume, and their ukuleles sound amazing. If their strengths are in design, where I would consider it lacking is perhaps in the visual arena. This is just my opinion, and mine alone, but aesthetically I'm not crazy about some of their bridge styles. I don't care for the bowtie bridge currently being used on their tenors, and that has been a huge factor in keeping my from buying one. But if you can find one with the old crown bridge styling, snap it up. It will sound the best of the bunch. And their customer service is the best, hands down. All three have great families running the companies, but I think the Okamis are just that little bit nicer and have the better warranty over the Kamakas and the Souzas.

For aesthetics, I think the Kanile'as are the best. They use a unique UV finish that is simply stunning. They also have a bit of bling in a lot of their ukes. Major downside (at least for me) of the Kanile'a is the bridge pins. While I like the clean look of them, they make it a pain in the behind to change out your strings. And for someone like me, who is constantly trying out new sounds of strings, it is a major downside. Plus, as much as I love the Souzas, I think the KoAloha and the Kamaka's tone are better. But I think that might be my ukes. I hear that a lot of Kanile'as are touch and go...some sound amazing, others less so.

Finally, there is the Kamaka. For name and history, they can't be beat. There is a reason why they have been making ukuleles for almost 100 years. If you want a historical collector's piece of Hawaiian tradition, I think they are the one to choose. One downside of that many of their ukes being out there though is that they have a huge waitlist for repairs. Think about it, if Kamaka has 100 years of purchases, KoAloha 15 and Kanile'a less than 10, it makes sense there are more people in line for repairs. Another major downside is the crappy strings they put on their ukes. So when you try them side by side in a store, they will fail by comparison. I think you really need to hear a Kamaka with upgraded strings in order to really get the true tonal capabilities of their instruments.

In the end, you can't go wrong with any of them. Good luck and keep us posted on what you choose.

I'm on the east coast too and I think you might be a little off on the popularity. The music stores have been slow on picking up on it but they seem to be beginning to. Do some searching around and you might find a uke club near enough for you to get to. If you do find one and you show up, I can just about guarantee a warm welcome and a chance to see and hear some of the instruments you are interested in. Flea Market Music has a great page that can help you do this. http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/default.asp . That's where I found the people I jam with.

I personally have a Kanile'a K1T and I love it. I prefer the sound of mine to any of the Kamaka's or KoAloha's I have heard but it really is all about personal preference, they are all good instruments.

"Major downside (at least for me) of the Kanile'a is the bridge pins. While I like the clean look of them, they make it a pain in the behind to change out your strings."

I use a pair of scissors to get the bridge pins out. Open them just a little and you can put one edge on either side of the pin, then gently pry the pin out with the leverage you now have. Makes a string change a piece of cake.

Last edited:
I have a Kanilea and a Koaloha also. The Koaloha is a soprano and it's louder than the Kanilea concert, but they both have very unique tones. I love the tone on both and they're so different it's hard to say which is "better" but I would have to say my favorite is probably the Koaloha. In terms of looks and workmanship I think the Kanilea has the edge. The Koaloha is built great and has no flaws, but the Kanilea has abalone inlays on the fretboard, a great looking woodgrain, and an awesome uv gloss, while the Koaloha just has white plastic fret markers and a rather plain wood grain. They both play wonderfully and I think you really can't go wrong with either one. Oh and about the bridge pin issue, most guitar string winders (usually only $1 at music stores) have a bridge pin puller on the end and it pops them out really quickly with no problems.

Last edited:
I use a pair of scissors to get the bridge pins out. Open them just a little and you can put one edge on either side of the pin, then gently pry the pin out with the leverage you now have. Makes a string change a piece of cake.

Oh and about the bridge pin issue, most guitar string winders (usually only $1 at music stores) have a bridge pin puller on the end and it pops them out really quickly with no problems.

No, I don't mean I have a problem getting them out. I do use a guitar string winder (as ashleychantel mentioned). My issue is that sometimes when I tighten the strings to tune them, the bridge pins have actually shot out across the room resulting in the string snapping up and slicing my hand. I have had it happen to me at least three times. Which means string changing for me has turned into an awful Jack in the Box moment where I'm terrified of tuning my A string for fear it will snap up and slice me again. I've never had that problem with any of my other ukes, only with the Kanile'a and its bridge pins. When I don't tighten a knot well enough on the Kamaka for example, the string just slides up and out, it doesn't violently snap at me.

But maybe it is just my uke/pins...

No, I don't mean I have a problem getting them out. I do use a guitar string winder (as ashleychantel mentioned). My issue is that sometimes when I tighten the strings to tune them, the bridge pins have actually shot out across the room resulting in the string snapping up and slicing my hand. I have had it happen to me at least three times. Which means string changing for me has turned into an awful Jack in the Box moment where I'm terrified of tuning my A string for fear it will snap up and slice me again. I've never had that problem with any of my other ukes, only with the Kanile'a and its bridge pins. When I don't tighten a knot well enough on the Kamaka for example, the string just slides up and out, it doesn't violently snap at me.

But maybe it is just my uke/pins...

ohh I see. I don't put the bridge pins in until I have them all tuned up so that could be why I haven't had any problems yet. knock on wood..

I also have both, in soprano. For me the Koaloha has a great character and is preferred for strumming. It chops along with chords like no other. The response is quick and sharp, and you have to keep a light touch or you can overplay it, and get some distorted sounds. It has more intrinsic tone, or character, than any uke I have.

The Kanilea is more musical in my opinion, it has a great lush tone, but you get more dynamic range. If you play lightly, it's quiet, if you play harder, it responds, it doesn't give out. I like it for melodies and leads, because I think it's more expressive.

The Kanilea is also easier to play, it's one of the few sopranos with 14 frets to the body so high notes are more accessible. But it is a little confusing to switch from other 12 fret ukes. The fingerboard is very slick and has a professional feel.

Thanks for the great info. What I meant was even though many shops have ukes, not many in my area have them. I can always drive an hour to NY to see some kamakas or koalohas. Does anyone have any info regarding the playability of the koaloha superconert vs the kanilea concert? I think the kamaka has been ruled out but i will still give them a look.
Thanks

I just brought out my Kanilea, KoAloha, and Kamaka tenors to try against each other and jog my memory. Initial impressions:

Aesthetics:
1st: Kanilea- that UV gloss finish is just a winner. Also has the most elegant fretboard of all of them.
2nd: Kamaka- Nothing more, nothing less than what you would expect from a Kamaka.
3rd: KoAloha- Love them, but unless you find one with a crown style bridge, the KoAloha is probably the most plain looking one of the three.

Volume:
1st: KoAloha- Can easily be pushed to higher volumes than the other two, but can still be played at piano (but not PPP)
2nd: Kamaka- Middle of the road volume, what you would expect from a Kamaka
3rd: Kanilea- I must caveat this by saying that I do have a Fishman Matrix infinity installed inside which may be reducing the volume. I believe it was louder than the Kamaka when it had the stock Aquilas on it (versus GHS on the Kamaka), and no pickup inside. Does have lots of control at the lower volumes.

Tone: (Very subjective)
1st: KoAloha- lots of bright, responsive, penetrating tones with nice percussive tones avaliable when you want them
2nd: Kanilea- a very resonant tone, that as mentioned above, can be played very musically
3rd: Kamaka- as previously mentioned, it's that traditional tone that is very safe and you can't go wrong with, but IMO isn't that special

Out of the box setup (somewhat irrelevant since I have them all set up anyway):
1st: Kanilea- No issues, buttery smooth out of the box. Not a huge fan of Aquilas any longer, but they do provide the best stock strings, IMO--a nice touch.
2nd: Kamaka- Action was a tiny bit higher than iwould like. And for some reason, doesn't like the Worth Clear low G very much.
3rd: KoAloha- The action was a bithigh on my tenor out of the box. They can remedy that for free if you take it to the factory. I did it myself with a bit of sandpaper, and it plays just as well as the others now.

Overall Reccomendation:
1st: KoAloha- Yes, it has its flaws, and in some ways, I would describe the KoAloha as being the most "primitive" of the three tenors. But if I am reaching for one of my tenors to play, it is the KoAloha about 60% of the time. The thing just plays. And I love the volume and the tone. Now that I've set it up, it is one of my favorite ukes. I highly reccomend it if you aren't looking for that very traditional Kamaka sound.
2nd: Kanilea- It's a stunner looks-wise, and you have a lot of control all the way up and down the dynamics range, and the tone is rather rich. Love mine, and it was the first quality uke I purchased.
3rd: Kamaka- You can't go wrong with the Kamaka-- traditional looks and traditional sound--but I'd personally take a chance with one of the other two.

However, I believe that you really can't go wrong with any of the three. You'll love whichever one you choose.

I'll probably do a more complete review of the three sometime this summer if I find the time. :)

Thanks for the great info. What I meant was even though many shops have ukes, not many in my area have them. I can always drive an hour to NY to see some kamakas or koalohas. Does anyone have any info regarding the playability of the koaloha superconert vs the kanilea concert? I think the kamaka has been ruled out but i will still give them a look.
Thanks

Can't comment on the Kanilea concert since I don't own one and can't remember the last time I've played one. No doubt it is a good instrument though.

BUT, I can give VERY high praises to the KoAloha Superconcert. The playability is excellent thanks to jumbo frets and a nice setup. Put worth browns on it, and the instrument just sings! I think it sounds even better than my Pineapple Sunday. If someone were going to buy a KoAloha for the first time, I would tell them to buy the Superconcert. I think that Brian at the factory would steer you to a full on Tenor instead of the SC (not so much an upsell attempt as an honest opinion, because the Tenor is, in fact, superior in some ways), but I just love the tone and feel of my KoAloha superconcert. That is what a uke should sound like, IMO.

I took both my Koaloha and Kanilea to the uke group session today, and ended up using the Koaloha exclusively. I tried the Kanilea briefly but with a lot of competition it takes more work to bring out.

The Koaloha rang out well in the group and the percussive sound works great for keeping time.

It depends on your playing situation, but I would say if it's for strumming and singing, the Koaloha would be my pick, if it's recording and instrumentals, the Kanilea would be get the nod.

I have owned a Kamaka soprano and tenor, a KoAloha soprano and tenor, and a Kanilea concert. I ended up selling both the sopranos as they just didn't get much attention. It's not a great comparison but I like my Kamaka and KoAloha tenors quite a bit more than the Kanilea concert (which I recently sold). The Kanilea looked amazing and sounded nice...it just didn't do it for me like the tenors do. I'd be hard pressed to choose which I like more between the Kamaka and KoAloha (and I am fortunate enough to have found a crown bridge KoAloha) but I would buy either of those before I got another Kanilea.

Can't comment on the Kanilea concert since I don't own one and can't remember the last time I've played one. No doubt it is a good instrument though.

BUT, I can give VERY high praises to the KoAloha Superconcert. The playability is excellent thanks to jumbo frets and a nice setup. Put worth browns on it, and the instrument just sings! I think it sounds even better than my Pineapple Sunday. If someone were going to buy a KoAloha for the first time, I would tell them to buy the Superconcert. I think that Brian at the factory would steer you to a full on Tenor instead of the SC (not so much an upsell attempt as an honest opinion, because the Tenor is, in fact, superior in some ways), but I just love the tone and feel of my KoAloha superconcert. That is what a uke should sound like, IMO.

Here's my take on the KoAloha Superconcert. It's more of a Tenor Lite than a Super concert. I've got KoAloha's tenor, superconcert and concert. The concert is a banjo killer, a magnum soprano in every way. The super concert is a Tenor neck with a concert body and I feel that the big tenor bridge and heavyier neck drag it down. Tonewise it's very much like the tenor but not as loud, tenor Lite. I have the same feelings about my extended neck pineapple soprano, a concert neck with a pineapple soprano body. Not as loud as my standard pineapple. Now to stay on topic, I also have a Kamaka standard pineapple to compare to the KoAloha standard pineapple. No, I can't really compare them. It's an apples and oranges type of thing. But, if push came to shove and I could only keep three of my ten ukes one of them would be the Kamaka pineapple, one would be the KoAloha concert and the third would be the KoAloha tenor.

Jude

I say, take or make the opportunity to play before you pay. It's because, in the end, it's the instrument that captures your imagination which will win the day. If the sound of the instrument will speak to you in strange and mysterious ways, it's the one you should buy.

--Dave E.

Top Bottom