Monkey Pod and Zebra Wood... Question...

Mim

Reaction score
They are beautiful...

but I have never played them and am thinking about ordering one of each for my Lanikai stock.

So questions:

Have you played either?
What do they sound like?
What do you like, do not like?
Any other info you might want to give...

THANKS A HEAP!

I love you guys!

Don't know about the Lanikai version, but I drooled over the Ohana Zebra wood soprano for months that was hanging in my local store. Turn over there is quite fast and so it sold. The next one she got to replace it was even more gorgeous, much darker grain. I had played both and being Ohana's they have a nice sound with out being harsh but are loud enough to be heard. I own many cheap ukes ($300 and under) and think Ohana's are the best in that price range, But the wood sold me.....I just had to have her. She hangs over my computer where I can get to her easily.....my other ukes have become quiet and sullen. And I even dyed my hair to match her.
I think if you stock them, people will be drawn in with their beauty, and then stay for their sweet song.

I made this cane from monkey pod sorry I covered the grain but I found it to be a pale light weight wood that is easy to work with and is pretty strong for it's weight
87deb28c.jpg
I am sorry after re reading this I see you don't want to work this wood rather you are thinking of buying it oops my mistake

Last edited:
I have an Ohana Zebra wood soprano, and it is different than my other sopranos. I don't know how the Lanikai compare. I would say the zebra wood tends to have more of a plucky ukulele sound. It can be loud, and sometime harsh with the wrong kind of strings on it. I think the Worth Browns worked the best for me. I love the wood grain! It took several months before mine "opened up" and started making a really nice bell-like tone. I have no experience with Monkeypod.

–Lori

monkey pod sounds awesome!!!! also called ohai, pics on my profile album. got the pono ohai tenor (electric) last year, they stopped making it for reasons i can't fathom, it's SOLID and strong!

my sound samples here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBDzsBs7R9s
and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMZu_YSwMOE

since they were very limited production, they're a little hard to find but they ARE out there for purchase (google it)

Thanks Bretty... I am getting ready to make my first order of Lanikais for my shop and they have Zebra and Monkey Pod. I want to stock them so bad, but want to make sure there are good things said about these woods since it would be nice if it eventually sold ;)! The problem would be not wanting to keep one for myself. I get to use a percentage of my uke sales towards my next uke. It was going to be a Ohana Sopranino, but I may have to see how these Monkey Pods and Zebras sound.

I have the Ohana zebrawood uke, a soprano (which is for sale because I don't care for sopranos). It's okay, but to me, all sopranos sound the same - bright, cheery, plinky. Depressingly happy ittle beasts. I want something to play Leonard Cohen on.

Since there wasn't a zebrawood tenor, I got the soprano. It looks beautiful, but I never play it.

I have the Ohana zebrawood uke, a soprano (which is for sale because I don't care for sopranos). It's okay, but to me, all sopranos sound the same - bright, cheery, plinky. Depressingly happy ittle beasts. I want something to play Leonard Cohen on.

Since there wasn't a zebrawood tenor, I got the soprano. It looks beautiful, but I never play it.
Ohana's making a concert now.

If you are looking for a Lanikai to add to your sales floor, I recommend one of their 6 string tenors. A real bargain when compared to other 6 strings, and something out-of-the-ordinary.

Top Bottom