What brand!?

deadeye

Reaction score
So i live in the uk, a ukulele blackspot. we have horribly overpriced commercial ukuleles which are fine for beginners, but the tone is horrible and the build quality is worse!

so for the past few months ive been trying to find what ukulele i should get, for like $1200ish, maybe more if it makes a big difference, or of course less if i dont have to spend that much :) i even went to mandolin bros in new york to have a look, took most of the day to find the shop. but they didnt have any suitable, and i thought their prices were kinda steep for what they had!

so now im stuck. i definately want a tenor ukulele, as ive learnt on that size since ditching my first soprano $20 and playing seriously.

any suggestions!?

thanks,
jon.

Wow... with a budget like 1200 you can get yourself something REALLY nice. I would suggest looking at dealers online. You don't necessarily have to spend that high to get a decent "serious" ukulele. Almost ALL ukulele's over $50 will sound better than that $20 soprano that you're playing on.

The only thing with online shopping for ukulele's is the shipping. I would really hate to imagine my kamaka being shipped out inside a box all the way to the UK. I don't care how much padding it has... I'd still worry hahah.

Check out G-String ukuleles, Lanikai, Pono, Applause, and fluke to get you started at looking and comparing prices and styles.

i got a kala uke (tenor) for $300. i absolutely love it... although with $1200 a kamaka would be really nice. but like aldrine said.... shipping a kamaka would be scary. something that valuable.... lol

jaja invest into a Kamaka >_<

in the mean time, get like a lanikai or a tenor oscar schmidt (my friend has one and it is BANGING)

Attachments

• Kamaka 5.jpg
    Kamaka 5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Kamka 2.jpg
    Kamka 2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Kamaka 3.jpg
    Kamaka 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 8
  • Kamaka 1 & 2.jpg
    Kamaka 1 & 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 11
  • MR1.jpg
    MR1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Uke 005.jpg
    Uke 005.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 12
Just to give you an idea of how much $1200.00 is. i got my 8 string Kamaka for $750.00. It was 25% off though. and a 8 string is more expensive then anything else unless you get a custom made uke. with that budget you could get 2 Kamaka Tenors. pre made of course, if you knew where to look. If i was you i'd get a for string Tenor, get a pick-up installed then get your self a amp with the left over money. you wouldnt leave your room.

lol you can come to hawaii and check out the ukes here so that you get the sound you want then you can jam with us lol. =]]]]

If your budget is $1200 or can be even higher, check out the ukes here and contact the seller, Shawn, if you have any questions. I just got a Koa Works tenor from him and it is out of this world compared to production KoAlohas, Kamakas, Kanile'as, etc, that I tried. I did get to try it in person, but he's a good guy and will give you sound advice.

Top Bottom