strings

UKESTAR

Reaction score
I would really like to hear what people say about their experiences with different strings for concerts and tenors alike. Are Aquilas really that great? There seems to be a lot of hype about them right now. But Jake uses D'Addorias right? I know a lot of it has to do with personal preference, but I would like to hear UU's take on different brands and what they all have to offer as unique qualities. I noticed that I really like Aquilas unplugged on my concert, but can't stand them on any tenor....especially plugged in because there is so much "finger noise" and they seem to easily get knicked up by my nails and frets......

What is everyone's take on strings.....I want DETAILS. Help...

I would really like to hear what people say about their experiences with different strings for concerts and tenors alike. Are Aquilas really that great? There seems to be a lot of hype about them right now. But Jake uses D'Addorias right? I know a lot of it has to do with personal preference, but I would like to hear UU's take on different brands and what they all have to offer as unique qualities. I noticed that I really like Aquilas unplugged on my concert, but can't stand them on any tenor....especially plugged in because there is so much "finger noise" and they seem to easily get knicked up by my nails and frets......

What is everyone's take on strings.....I want DETAILS. Help...
Ukestar, I've only tried two kinds. D'ADDARIO J71 TENOR UKE SET and AQUILA NYLGUT TENOR UKE SET. I preferred the sound both plugged in and unplugged with the NYLGUT. They had a hair more sustain and were very "round" (balanced) sounding. However, (and I do mean HOWEVER), after about a week, perhaps less, the intonation starting going down hill fast. So basically when the strings were finally streched out, they started going bad. I almost talked myself into thinking it was my ears of perhaps that it was my uke. I hesitated switching them out because of the initial sound they produced. When I did go ahead and switch them, I was a happy camper once more. I got my intonation on my uke back. Life was good!

So to me, I've got to be in tune in the higher register. It's simply life or death up there in the high note in my opinion. Bottom line, the D'ADDARIO's work great (and also sound great). Moreover, the intonation stay with ya. I won't go back to the NYLGUT again.

Thanks, e...

i just received my J71's in the mail yesterday and immediately strung em up on my kala and my lanikai spruce.

on the kala, they made the tone much warmer than the aquilas i had on there. but the acoustic volume went down. no biggie to me... thats what amplifiers are for. obtw, i finished the conversion on my kala from 6 string to 4 string. but i forgot to start taking footage of what i did. sorry. didnt realize till i was half way through. so i just kept going.

on the lanikai... it made a WORLD of difference. the spruce top on my lanikai always made the tone a bit punchy and bright. with the stock GHS strings, it sounded like a toy. with the aquilas, it started out decent, but after just a couple days it was just waaay too bright. it was obvious there was too much tension on the strings. so i switched them out with the d'addarios. and FINALLY it sounds like a uke. still brighter than the others. but damn im so much happier with her.

as for my other uke, the leolani, there wasnt much noticeable difference, other than just an overall nice feel to the touch with the d'addarios.

i guess it really does pay to see which strings work best with which ukes. but for the record, i used to be all about those aquilas. but now im a believer with the d'addarios.

Excellent feedback folks..this is what I am talking about. Lets keep this conversation going about strings....they do make a difference. Maybe there are some hidden treasures out there in the world of strings too....

Done...I am ordering myself some D'Addarios asap..

i just received my J71's in the mail yesterday and immediately strung em up on my kala and my lanikai spruce.

on the kala, they made the tone much warmer than the aquilas i had on there. but the acoustic volume went down. no biggie to me... thats what amplifiers are for. obtw, i finished the conversion on my kala from 6 string to 4 string. but i forgot to start taking footage of what i did. sorry. didnt realize till i was half way through. so i just kept going.

on the lanikai... it made a WORLD of difference. the spruce top on my lanikai always made the tone a bit punchy and bright. with the stock GHS strings, it sounded like a toy. with the aquilas, it started out decent, but after just a couple days it was just waaay too bright. it was obvious there was too much tension on the strings. so i switched them out with the d'addarios. and FINALLY it sounds like a uke. still brighter than the others. but damn im so much happier with her.

as for my other uke, the leolani, there wasnt much noticeable difference, other than just an overall nice feel to the touch with the d'addarios.

i guess it really does pay to see which strings work best with which ukes. but for the record, i used to be all about those aquilas. but now im a believer with the d'addarios.

hey NUkey,
Do u think you can Show me a pic of what your new kala looks like now? Was it hard to do that?
Much appreciate it

very very nice

restring an antique???

say you had inherited a Martin uke from your grandmother... the thing is mint, just aged... would you restring it? Someone asked me... I said only if the current strings fail to keep their pitch. Or, just get another uke and experiment w/ strings on that.

personally... I wouldn't restring an antique. Shoot, the strings are older than me! LOL

:p

Top Bottom