Flea and Flike owners: Your favorite strings?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
While shopping for a Flea, I discovered that Flea Market Music offers upgrades from the strings that come with Fleas and Flukes to Aquila nylgut ($7.95), Ko'olau gold ($7.95) or Hilo black nylon ($5.95) strings. I'm curious about whether to upgrade and, if so, which strings to use. So my questions to Flea and Fluke owners: Did you upgrade, either at the time of purchase or sometime after you got your Flea or Fluke? Did using different strings make your Flea or Fluke sound better (or worse)? Do some strings take better advantage of the sound properties of Fleas and Flukes than others? What strings are you using now on your Flea or Fluke and what do you like about them? I know that Flea and Fluke owners love to talk about their ukuleles (and after playing a Flea this weekend with factory-installed strings) I can see why, so please go nuts and share your Flea and Fluke string experiences. Thanks!

I swapped mine out for the Aquila Nylguts in fifths tuning. I had to file the bridge so the A string would stop breaking, but other than that they've been great. Nice big sound.

If you get a rosewood fretboard it is automatically upgraded to aquila nylaguts, high G. I like them but I am probably going to stick with the Worth clears for now. I use low G as a preference. They don't have the harmonic richness but they have a smoothness factor and almost a flatwound sound quality(yes I know they are non wound) that responds nicely to my right hand. I can get darker sounds when called for and they seem to compliment the flea nicely. But I woudl be happy with either aguila or worth clears. I have not tried the pro artes but I would be willing too.

I have both a fluke and a flea and prefer Aquillas on them. I have played a flea with Hilos and have also tried Worth clears on mine but still like the Aquillas

I like the crispness of Aquillas (high g) on my Tenor Fluke.
They were a little too loud though so I tried a set of concert on the last string change and I really like the voice now, it is still crisp and bright, but just a tad quieter.

I have a Fluke and I currently have Black Lines on it. I hated the Hilos on it. I did have Aquilas on for a short time, but I wasn't thrilled with them.

I have worth clear low-Gs on my fluke. I've tried Aquillas in high G too, but I prefer the worths

After trying Hilo, Aquila, and Worth Clear and Brown strings, I've found that I prefer Aquilas on my Flea, and Worth Clears on my Fluke.

I have Aquilas on my Fluke and like them, but will probably try Worth Clear at the next change as I have Worth on all the other ukes.

I have Martins on my Flea. I didn't like the sound with the Aquilas. I seem to be one of the few here who was perfectly happy with the original strings.

I have Martins on my Flea. I didn't like the sound with the Aquilas. I seem to be one of the few here who was perfectly happy with the original strings.

I actually liked the sound of the original strings better than I do the Aquilas, but I didn't like the volume. I'm told the Worths (or is it Martin?) that Pauljmuk has on his give both nice sound and volume.

Thanks for all the feedback! Keep 'em coming!

If anyone has videos of his or her Flea/Fluke with particular strings, please post a link. Nothing's better than actually listening.

Thanks again!

Glad I saw this thread. I have a mookulele coming tomorrow and I am wondering what strings I'm gonna go with. I have no idea what is on it right now. Seems to me, from reading this thread, that it's the same as every other "what string is best" thread. Always comes down to folks liking Aquilas and Worths with the occasional Black line or Pro Arte comment :D

Can't wait to get my mook tomorrow. I'll post here with the string type and how I like them at some point tomorrow...

Flea soprano" Aquilas...but yeah...not a huge fan of the sound of the Aquilas strummed, but for fingerstyle loud and lovely...

The Hilos are quieter strummed but do sound overall better...when strummed...with vocals.

Glad I saw this thread. I have a mookulele coming tomorrow and I am wondering what strings I'm gonna go with. I have no idea what is on it right now. Seems to me, from reading this thread, that it's the same as every other "what string is best" thread. Always comes down to folks liking Aquilas and Worths with the occasional Black line or Pro Arte comment :D

Can't wait to get my mook tomorrow. I'll post here with the string type and how I like them at some point tomorrow...

Congrats on the new mookulele. Be sure to post a video!

I like Aquilas on my Flea. I play it outdoors a lot so I need volume and projection above all else. The stock Hilos aren't bad strings, but they're way too mellow for me.

Top Bottom