Sculpting an instrument

Keef

Reaction score
I once talked with a sculpter and I asked him how he made such great art and he said you just remove everything that doesn't look like what you want
I'm thinking that building anything is that easy just add material where it's needed and remove it where it's not needed you just need some basic tools and a picture in your head. I like Disney's term amagineering
I think a lot more people could make great art if they were not intimadated by the myth of complexity
So just give it a try their is no wrong way to make art
have fun be safe

Last edited:
Michelangelo once said "The angel is in the stone. It's the job of the artist to take off just enough material to release it".
Bernard Matemera, a Shona Sculptor from Zimbabwe said, "I look at stone and find my piece... then I take the blanket off of it."

That's the difference between sculpture in stone and wood and almost all other forms of art. It's subtractive. If you take away, you can't put back.

I agree with you that many people are intimidated, and love the line "the myth of complexity".

As was recommended to me recently... (And I apologize for the paraphrasing) "Give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that you get an even bigger woodpile."

That's a good one Lol
I think Ford said their is no such thing as a huge project just a bunch of little ones.
As we are young we learn and get better and as we get old we lose the ability to do many things but a finished work of art
Makes time stand still and offers a hint of immortality this is why I give away everything I make

When teaching people to use a wood lathe, I have them turn a simple little piece, then have them try to make another. Invariably, the second and third tries are smaller than the first. This leads to me telling them to try again and "see how much you can leave ON this time."

I always wanted to do a wood carving by glueing a zillion different sizes and kinds of wood together in all sorts of strange angles to make a block then make the carving it would be very very hard to control material removal but the finished piece would be a one of a kind. Much like the fun build uke project cept I would have to do the whole thing my self

I tried wood carving a few times. Unfortunately, I got a block of wood that didn't have a sculpture inside. I kept carving until all the wood was gone, and then there was nothing :(

Did you get a refund for the faulty block?

I don't want to wander to far from the ukulele topic but look what I found in my block :)
4f1cd0f5.jpg

Top Bottom