A on 12th fret

rreffner

Reaction score
So it seems my tuned A string is now flat when the 12th fret is fretted. The other strings are the same when played open and then on the 12th. Does this mean the string has gone bad or something else?

Could be a couple of things, but I'd start with string replacement. Cheap troubleshooting, and it could clear it right up.

1. string replacement (or in first case - swap the string along its length - seriously, it can work!)
2. action may be a little high at the nut or bridge (be careful if you are messing with those areas though, but I do it all the time and SO LONG AS YOU ARE CAREFUL!) - basically - string theory and tuning assumes string is parallel to the fretboard. If nut or bridge are high, the string is actually acting as the long edge (hypotenuse) of a triangle - and that will throw tuning off.
3. If those dont work - you may have a mis placed bridge or nut slot - and things start getting tricky there

What uke to you have - this will help tell us whether it is unusual or not, and whether spending money on a fix is worth it or not

I replaced my strings with new Aquila and it fixed the issue. Open, 12th and 12th harmonic are spot on now. Of course the strings have not stretched yet.

Interestingly each of my old strings tuned OK open. Tunes did seem to be off as I played up the neck. I learned is to not only check tuning on open strings but also check the 12th fret and 12th harmonic and if any string is not the same in all three positions, it is time for new strings.

I still don't understand the physics though. What makes the string in tune when open but off on the 12th fret? It must be because the string becomes shorter??

Mahalo for everyone's help.

Top Bottom