Idea for a solidbody ukulele... will it work?

UncleElvis

Reaction score
So, as I mentioned in another thread, I've had this idea to do a "Retro Illustration" style design for an electric ukulele.

I was thinking I would do the neck as a solid piece, that goes all the way down to the bottom of the body, for the look. I know this might be risky, but it's worth a shot.

I guess my question is... what's wrong with it? *grin*

Is there anything horrifically incorrect with the design? I know it's weird looking, but is there anything intrinsically WRONG with it, beyond the stylistic?

Ukeideafinal.jpg

The head design isn't final, but just an idea.

I found Mr. Howlett's electric ukulele's tonight (My heavens! They are GORGEOUS!) and made a couple of adjustments to the concept (Thank you AGAIN for being an inspiration, sir!), but they were more "Stuff I didn't know about and should have" changes, rather than cosmetic. (One day, I WILL be in England and WILL be visiting you for your course! That's a promise!)

So... whatcha think?
This, of course, would be a personal project. I am FAR too ignorant (and lazy! and easily distracted!) to make more than one!

I'm going electric solidbody as I think it's a natural step from CBU (for me, anyway) for someone with plenty of experience carving, but limited access to more specialized tools and woods (I have inherited a thickness planer, so there may be another CBU in the future), experience with wood, etc.

I'm babbling now, as I don't really know what else to say...

Hope you like and hope there's not too much wrong with the concept.

Can't see why it wouldn't work, 'cept I'd probably dislocate another finger or bust a knuckle on the horn of that cutaway if it wasn't lowered or out of the way of the upper frets. In my opinion there's more right than wrong with a neck through design. Of course you'll probably hear that it'll be trash if the neck breaks, and that's true.
I like the design a lot, I like retro and deco eames panton atomic etc. style art. Looks great to me.

Last edited:
First amagin you are in a cartoon and the setting is a coffee house In the late fifty's and a beatnick walks in with a giant puzzle piece and says " hey cats look what I found what can we do with it?" and he is answered "far out that would make one CrAZy guitar" and they all start snapping their fingers in agreement . :)
My personal opinion is that although your typical figure eight shaped uke is a classic design making another typical uke would lack amagination
Make it it looks nice

Last edited:
Never heard the term "Retro Illustration" before, I'd describe it as Picassoesque. However, regardless of how you might label the design, I love it!

The world needs more 'non-figure of eight' ukes. Build it, play it, video it, post it. I'd love to hear what it sounds like.

I started playing with carving necks today, in preparation of this.
I have someone that's got some really gorgeous Bermuda Cedar. I'm trying to get it booked up and sorted. Yes, it's the technical terms I use that show my professionalism! *lol*

I'm thinking of doing it in five main parts, simply out of necessity, as it's almost impossible to get a piece of the gorgeous cedar at the thickness I'd need to do it with less.
1&2 - The sides of the top. Really red cedar.
3 - The neck, one piece, all the way down to the base. I want to use a piece of really blonde cedar for this.
4&5 - The back, two pieces, booked. Same red (same piece of wood, if I can) as the top

I'm thinking about doing a 1/8 to 1/4" piece in between the top and back, in either the blonde, or the deep purple cedar, just for the look of it, but haven't decided.
The fretboard and bridge would be in the deep purple heartwood (if I can get it), as it's super hard and would look lovely.

Just had a thought. Any recommendations on how thick this should be? I was thinking 2"+ -ish (another incredibly precise and technical term! Somewhere around 2 - 2.5"), as I've found I preferred accoustic ones around this thickness. I've got really long arms and any thinner, my comfortable area puts my strumming halfway up the neck! I've found a little thicker and I'm more comfortable lower down. Don't know if this is a thing, or just me.

Top Bottom