Kamoa Ukulele and the Mainland Ukulele

Zonzen

Reaction score
I thought I made up my mind but I run into another problem. I was all for Mainland Concert Mahogany until I learned about the care it would take for keeping it. I would not have a case for it and I would rather not have a ukulele crack or warp on me. Which makes the Kamoa Concert favorable I guess. I live in Florida and I guess it may be too humid I guess. r just get the Kala Spruce top Tenor with a case at music guy mic...Who knew that there were so many things that went into purchasing a ukulele.

The big enemy of solid ukes is LOW humidity, not high. That and rapid, extreme changes in humidity or temperature.

Yes, I would think that Florida would be just about perfect humidity for a ukulele. I wouldn't worry about it cracking. They do that in DRY climates. Just don't leave it in a hot car. Case or no case, high humidity or low, a uke in a parked car on a hot day is asking for trouble!

Thanks I guess that makes me feel better about getting a solid ukulele. I need a new one...this Kala Soprano is not cutting it

Yes, I would think that Florida would be just about perfect humidity for a ukulele. I wouldn't worry about it cracking. They do that in DRY climates.

It's not so much the climate. It's the immediate environment of the ukulele. My parents live in Florida and, like many Floridians, they run air conditioning when it gets hot and humid. As a result, it's very dry in their house even though it's very humid outdoors. An air conditioned home is not a good environment for an ukulele. If you have air conditioning, I recommend that you get a case and a case humidifier. Decent case humidifiers are not expensive.

Last edited:
Taking care of a solid-wood instrument isn't nearly as daunting as it sounds. The first time I had a crack in a guitar, I was really bummed because the whole thing could've been prevented with a $5 humidifier. The Mainland and Kamoa are both good choices!

Taking care of a solid-wood instrument isn't nearly as daunting as it sounds. The first time I had a crack in a guitar, I was really bummed because the whole thing could've been prevented with a $5 humidifier. The Mainland and Kamoa are both good choices!

Yeah I hear that a lot lol. About both being good and I feel like I am bugging people with asking about it

And to add to your considerations: Lanikai. The Lanikai S-T is great, and IMO has better tonal balance than the Kala spruce top...and so is the Lanikai S-C...

I was thinking of getting a Lanikai S-C over a Kamoa Koa Concert. Supposedly it sounds great and it saves a good 70 bucks. I still haven't decided though. There's a lot of videos for the Kamoa Concert not so many for the Lanikai S-C.

I haven't seen a bad review of the Lanikai S-C but I've only seen one "review" of the Kamoa and that's on the UU store. Hope this helps.

I have a Mainland concert mahogany as my first ukulele. I have not had one regret about choosing my Mainland. I plan on picking up a Koaloha superconcert some time this year but I will always keep my Mainland concert. It's just a great ukulele. Then when you factor in the price, unbeatable for a value uke.

Top Bottom