Bending on Ukulele

Marshmallow

Reaction score
During the picking part of "Wonderful Tonight" (Uke Lesson 5), there's some string bending. I was learning this song this morning and practicing the bending part over and over, and I noticed that the string on which I was bending had a gash where the ridge of the fret was digging into it. It was cutting away at the underside of the string. Is this normal? I have Aquila nylon strings.

yea i think that can happen usually.

check the ridge to make sure it isnt like too sharp or anything.

During the picking part of "Wonderful Tonight" (Uke Lesson 5), there's some string bending. I was learning this song this morning and practicing the bending part over and over, and I noticed that the string on which I was bending had a gash where the ridge of the fret was digging into it. It was cutting away at the underside of the string. Is this normal? I have Aquila nylon strings.

...That's not good, especially with Aquila's...if they haven't snapped yet, they will SOON...Aquila's don't like nicks, scrapes, or sharp frets. You're going to want to get that fret issue fixed, as well...it'll just cause you more problems later. Is it "digging in" from the long side of the fret or at the ends of the wire (from bending on the A or G strings)?

...That's not good, especially with Aquila's...if they haven't snapped yet, they will SOON...Aquila's don't like nicks, scrapes, or sharp frets. You're going to want to get that fret issue fixed, as well...it'll just cause you more problems later. Is it "digging in" from the long side of the fret or at the ends of the wire (from bending on the A or G strings)?

Sorry, I don't understand the question...I'll try to explain it again (perhaps that will answer your question). Okay...I use my middle and ring finger on the 4th and 5th fret (respectively) of the E string. The middle finger is just for more support for the bending. When I bend the string upwards the ridge in between the 4th and 5th frets digs into the underside of the E string. Hope that helps.

Never mind...I think I understand the question. It seems to be worse on the C and E strings. I think the ridge is higher there in the middle.

Never mind...I think I understand the question. It seems to be worse on the C and E strings. I think the ridge is higher there in the middle.

I'd definitely take it in to a repair shop to get it checked out. Sounds like some of your fret wires might need to be filed down...it really shouldn't be cutting into the strings. Do the fret wires feel sharp or rough at all?

Yeah high tension strings like Aquila's really don't like any cuts in them. Was strumming away one day and a diamond on my ring snagged the string. That was the end of that.

I'd definitely take it in to a repair shop to get it checked out. Sounds like some of your fret wires might need to be filed down...it really shouldn't be cutting into the strings. Do the fret wires feel sharp or rough at all?

Well, not really...but I will have it checked out anyway. Thanks for all the help, man.

Top Bottom