Strings??

UKESTAR

Reaction score
Applogies if this has already been discussed somewhere else on this site, but :confused:I would really like to hear what people say about their experiences with different strings for concerts and tenors alike. Are Aquilas really that great? There seems to be a lot of hype about them right now. But Jake uses D'Addorias right? I know a lot of it has to do with personal preference, but I would like to hear UU's take on different brands and what they all have to offer as unique qualities. I noticed that I really like Aquilas unplugged on my concert, but can't stand them on any tenor....especially plugged in because there is so much "finger noise" and they seem to easily get knicked up by my nails and frets......

What is everyone's take on strings.....I want DETAILS. Help...

im currently using aquilas on two of my ukes. but i have some d'addarios on order and i will be switching over to them. they seem to have a warmer tone than the aquilas. i still like the aquilas, but im just trying to find what strings work best with each uke. eventually, i have no doubt that i will have a different brand of strings for each uke i own.

Yeh..me too. I think each uke may work best with a certain brand of strings. I am having issues with the Aquilas on my electric Koaloha tenor. I just don't like the sound and the strings really don't seem smoothe enough and pick up way too much "finger noise" for my taste.

I am wondering if I should order up some of the D'Addoria J71 tenor strings??
I want a rich, loud sound with little to no finger noise ideally...

i dont think its so much your strings that are the problem that you are hearing when you are plugged in. it might be the settings on your pickup. what kind of pickup are you using? does it have a tone control?

try turning down the tone all the way on your pickup. then try turning the bass up a little on your amp.

Hmm..Ok. I am just using a roland micro-cube. When I turn the tone down it helps quite a bit....lose a lot of volume it seems though?? Also, I noticed much less "finger noise" when my tenor was strung with Worth BT's before I switched them out for Aquilas. I think I might try the J71's. From what I understand, JS uses these and his uke has a great/clean/pure sound.....even unplugged. Thanks...

Hey Nuke.. You having issues with your Aquilas getting knicked up by whatever....nails or frets?? Mine get these little "shredded" sections. I think I remember someone commenting that they had this happen to them. They seem soft or something.....pretty odd..

you didnt like the worth strings?

as far as losing volume, thats what the volume knob on the amp is for. my little brother pointed that out to me when he told me i was beating on the strings too much. if youre playing plugged in most of the time, dont have to beat on the strings. just turn the volume up on the amp.

as far as the knicks in my aquilas, i got one frayed section on the original strings that i had on my leolani. but didnt notice it till a couple months after i bought her. and who knows how many people were playing with her at the flea market in hawaii before i bought her. so i didnt pay too much attention. as of now, i dont see any fraying on the aquilas that i have on my ukes. but im still planning on changing them out anyway.

I regret taking the Worth BTs off.... I am gonna try the D'Addarios next..then maybe back to the BTs. I loved the bright and loud sound of the Aquilas on my concert. That is why I assumed they would be great on my new tenor...no dice....they just sound punchy to me..

Top Bottom