East Village Music NYC

luvdat

Reaction score
In the vibrant East Village check out East Village Music on E. 3rd Street. They carry Lanikais, Kalas, Mainlands and Eleukes and even some Ko‘olau's...

I picked up a Lanikai spruce top tenor there today and hung out for a while talking to Claude the owner about ukes...and he knows his stuff and cares. Also willing to trade old gear.

Check out this link:

http://www.evmnyc.com/newfolk.html

Hey, it's worth a trip there just to walk around in the East Village, maybe even walk up towards the West...

Last edited:
thats where i always go. they have awesome ukes and awesome service!

At this point that's going to become my go-to. I like the drive to NYC believe it or not and I've also discovered that Lanikai is fine...

I got my Mainland Mahogany Tenor there, and if you pay in cash, claude knocks a nice little chunk off the price!
Do I smell a UU-NY meetup at East Village Music?

Claude is great and will let you jam as long as you want.

I've always seen this store pop up on lists of stores that sell ukuleles since I'm from New York, but I've never thought of going because I assumed that it wouldn't sell ukuleles. So thanks for the info! I'll definitely check it out now hopefully sometime soon.

Let me tell you, the East Village Music store would be cool for a meet up some time and yes, like on old time Mom and Pop where a trade for an instrument is a real trade. Stinkin' Sam Ash "trade" these days is about half price and equal to a for-cash practically...all this talk of poverty based ukenomics...like real musicians....

Claude is the man!

I'm all for a meetup there! EVM is one of the better places to try ukes in the area.

Since EVM is pretty crowded, meetup there and then we can go to Washington Square for some fun al fresco uking!

We'll follow up on this one. Have weekend plans already but sooner than later.

I wonder who's making the Morgan Monroe four-string banjo.

I was wondering that myself! I don't have a banjo uke yet...

I just looked up Morgan Monroe on the 'net. Doesn't say much about them, but it looks like a decent instrument from the specs (especially for the price). They have 4 different Banjo Ukes listed.

Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleecker is a pretty awesome place to hit too.
Lots of goodies there.

http://www.umanovguitars.com/

They carry Ohanas (sopranos only last phone call) and some Kamakas and another K brand.

BTW, I like Matt Umanov's but a fair degree of snob appeal at that place. A truly impressive collection of guitars (they deserve a certain level of snob appeal).

I got my Mainland there... although I did pick up a $50 Lanikai.. tuner was f'ed up and the dude was being a little difficutl about giving me another one. i defintely had to give him some s** before he agreed.

but i would LOVE to get a meet up going in washing square park. Maybe someone could start an NYC meet up group!

I got my Mainland there... although I did pick up a $50 Lanikai.. tuner was f'ed up and the dude was being a little difficutl about giving me another one. i defintely had to give him some s** before he agreed.

but i would LOVE to get a meet up going in washing square park. Maybe someone could start an NYC meet up group!

Just want to be clear - I was referring to East Village Music Shop.

as far as Matt Umanov Guitars. They seem to have higer end stuff. You won't really get any ukes there in the $300 and under from what I saw. For that range - East Village Music Shop is defniitely a better option. And there's defintely a little snob appeal at Matt Umanov Guitars. Me and my buddy were in the back room playing around with a fender bass. The guy gave us about 10 minutes and then cut us off - lol. and the thing is - we were really looking to buy it. But they do ahve a great collection of guitars, ukes, and mandolins. New and vintage. Such a cool shop! And I asked the guy about banjo ukes. he doesnt really carry a stock but he said if i was ineterested he could track down a restored one from the 1920's for about the same price as a new goldtone.

But I love both shops. The two shop's feel and personalities totally match their locations. East Village music shop is a little darker, grungy and crowded into a small place. Dude behind the counter drinking a budweiser. Totally fits it's location in the east village -right up the street from the Hells Angels clubhouse. Then Matt Umanov on the other side of town in beautiful Greenwich Village... nice spacious shop... beautifully laid out. Both have their own charm!

Great posts about both places. But when you think of it "a little difficult" ain't bad for the world we live in. Washington Square would be certainly doable...

I think the least expensive ukes at Matt U's are Ohana sops.

Last edited:
KoAloha's website lists East Village Music as an authorized dealer. Has anyone seen any KoAlohas there? :O

KoAloha's website lists East Village Music as an authorized dealer. Has anyone seen any KoAlohas there? :O

From memory maybe I put a close spelling brand...call them though, because I did see a sop there that cost over $600.

Last edited:
a great funky lil shop but they dont got alot of banjo stuff unrealted i know but would of been a perfect shop if they did.

Top Bottom