L.A. Area-Northridge California Hawaiin Festival

jordan bello

Reaction score
Has anyone in the L.A. area attended the Northridge California Hawaiian Festival before or have any other information about it? Music Guy Mic will be there and I'm tempted to drive the 40 minutes to an hour just to see his wares. The flyer is at this link:

http://www.laparks.org/pdf/northridgefestival.pdf

we talked about it briefly at the last SFV get-together. Apparently it's a huge deal, lots of Hawaiian stuff, not just ukes. I hope to score a dashboard hula girl if I can.

I will be passing through a couple of times and expect to see a few our Guitar Merchant group people there. Shouldn't be too hard to find me, I'll be the 6'2" 50-ish white guy carrying a ukulele.

I understand this is quite a show. At three days, it ought to be. Free admission, can't beat that!

I definitely will check it out. I will want to get there early on the first day to check out what MGM has. I haven't been to this event before, but I only live about a half hour away, and my in-laws live nearby. I will be wearing my white Uke Leash shirt, or perhaps my heather grey UU shirt. Do we know what time the vendor booths open? Some events are only on Saturday and Sunday. Are the vendors considered the "Business Area"? If so, they would only be there Saturday and Sunday.

–Lori

Lori, I know you didn't get a booth, but why not approach MGM or others with your leash? They might sell some for you for a split or take them back to Hawaii with them to sell with their ukes.

Lori, I know you didn't get a booth, but why not approach MGM or others with your leash? They might sell some for you for a split or take them back to Hawaii with them to sell with their ukes.
I was thinking about that idea too. Great minds think alike :D. I plan on having a few to give Mike, so he can test them out. If I get some more time this week, I might build up the inventory a bit in case he wants to take some with him to sell.

Good news for Uke Leash this September 11-12. I did manage to get a booth for the Wine Country Ukulele Festival. I am very excited about that.

–Lori

I think it's "only" two days this year... Saturday and Sunday. I can't rememeber, but they may have done fridays before like a preview night, or if they landed the festival date on Memorial Day weekend... but only two days this time. Maybe it's because things are a little different now... for one, the Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation is not funding parts of it because of lack of money... so it's the second year of it being back to a mainly "Hawaiian" festival... after being around as a Hawaiian Festival for years... for a spell, the LA parks and recs thought it would be better to call the event the Salute to Recreation and opened the event up to a ton of other vendors... there was still a "Hawaiian Village" as part of it, but also a mess of miscellaneous other vendors. I'm glad it's back to it's Hawaiian-y roots.

I will miss this Saturday because of other engagements, but of the two days, that's probably the day to go. especially if you plan to attend at night, because Saturday night is the fireworks. also, MGM's uke supply might be all picked over by Sunday. :)

there's probably going to be tons of food and music... and also, every year I've gone, there has been lots of hula dancing by local hula dancing groups. the kids are funnest to watch 'cause they are so cute... although I must admit that the shapely older hula girls are fun to watch too for slightly different reasons... of course I always "keep (my) eyes on the hands" ;)

For those who remember them at the Cerritos Uke Festival, Uncle Charlie and Auntie Ilima will be at the Northridge festival too... Since they help run both events... they will probably bust out in song at random times just as they did at Cerritos.

I'll be there Sunday! probably picking thru the leftovers at MGM's booth. Actually, I hope Lori is able to get some of her UkeLeashes into someone's booth... I could use another one.

...Actually, I hope Lori is able to get some of her UkeLeashes into someone's booth... I could use another one.

I will have a few on me if you happen to see me there. I will be wearing a bright orange one, probably attached to my belt loop. If we don't see each other, let me know what you would like, and I will bring one to the next Uke Meet. I am really looking forward to the event. Do you think there will be any hula guys? I just saw a great documentary on PBS on men and Hula dancing. Masculine and graceful... very attractive (and cultural of course:D).

Last edited:
I will have a few on me if you happen to see me there. I will be wearing a bright orange one, probably attached to my belt loop. If we don't see each other, let me know what you would like, and I will bring one to the next Uke Meet. I am really looking forward to the event. Do you think there will be any hula guys? I just saw a great documentary on PBS on men and Hula dancing. Masculine and graceful... very attractive (and cultural of course:D).

yeah... I saw that men of hula PBS show too. Very interesting. Although, I have to confess, that I don't remember if I've ever seen any hula men at the northridge festivals... Probably because I was too busy looking at the hula ladies... Just their hands... Just the hands...

Oh, I was sorta wrong about the two days only... The carnival rides are in fact open for fun times on Friday too... But that's for people that just want to ride the rides and skip the Hawaiian stuff... But who would want to do that? Saturday and Sunday is the best IMO.

will be on my way early tomorrow morning to California...Koaloha, Kanilea G string, Kelii, Anaole. ohanas, kiwayas, riptides, kalas, makalas are among the goodies.........

Any 6 string KoAlohas making the trip from Hawaii with you? :)

should have emailed me i have them but too late to ship now

I will be wearing a bright orange one, probably attached to my belt loop.

I'll wear my black leach and a light shirt to show it off!

The flyer says that Hawaiian Village will be open on Saturday and Sunday only from 10AM on. I got a load of stuff to do both days, but I'll find my way over at some point.

I'll wear my black leach and a light shirt to show it off!

The flyer says that Hawaiian Village will be open on Saturday and Sunday only from 10AM on. I got a load of stuff to do both days, but I'll find my way over at some point.

10am?

D'oh! I have to fire my info sources... I thought it started at 11... I have to rework my schedule now so I can have a whole additional hour of fun!

Maybe I should have got my info from the official flyer... Like a normal person.

Last edited:
This seems like it would be really fun. I wish I could go, but this is the weekend before finals. When will my professors learn to stop scheduling tests to close to cool uke events?! :p

This looks really great, and im only 30 minutes away! Does anyone have any more information about this event in terms of what they sell, mostly interested in ukes?

Top Bottom