Aqulia Observation

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Maybe it is just me, but has anyone else noticed they can be prone to fret buzz? I have seen it happen on a few ukes now. Most recently when I took my concert from pro arte's to aquila's. I dressed the nut and saddle for them, but they just seem to be easy buzzers.

AC:
There was a thread very recently about Kala concerts and buzz. This is not a scientific study but just a limited experience but the ukes with most fret buzz that I try out in stores are usually concerts. Specific to concert strings and Aquilas, they're thicker anyway? And that C can be at goofy levels of thickness with concert Aquilas? If the action was previously lowered on the ukes you tried Aquilas I can see how this could really happen. I think with Aquilas it's also easier to encounter irregularities, which with lower action you'd notice more often.

Check out some of this thread for a start as well as one of buddhu's sticky threads:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?26861-New-Kala-Buzz-Rattle

Last edited:
Thanx for the link. I think I am going to do a fret level and crown, if that does not work then back to pro arte's.

Dude, that might be the simplest solution and believe me, at this stage in my own life, that's what I go for. Good luck. In my own case I avoid some of this keeping things medium-slightly higher action (on a quest for "tone" like Eric Johnson, LOL).

You're sure it's frets and not coming from somewhere else like the bridge?

Last edited:
Another factor: changes in string tension...

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but another Aquila observation:

I've been doing some recording, and I've noticed a LOT of fingernail noise. Upon closer inspection, I've noticed that the strings themselves have become quite coarse where they've been played heavily. I suspect under a magnifying glass, it would look jagged. I can feel the roughness with my fingernail running up the length of the string.

I'm strongly thinking of changing brands just to see if I can get back to a smoother sound.

Anyone else encountered this? I don't remember ever running into this with classical guitar nylon strings.

Not to hijack, but another Aquila observation:

I've been doing some recording, and I've noticed a LOT of fingernail noise. Upon closer inspection, I've noticed that the strings themselves have become quite coarse where they've been played heavily. I suspect under a magnifying glass, it would look jagged. I can feel the roughness with my fingernail running up the length of the string.

I'm strongly thinking of changing brands just to see if I can get back to a smoother sound.

Anyone else encountered this? I don't remember ever running into this with classical guitar nylon strings.

You're right about that one. That sound is particularly revealed with strums, less so with fingerstyle melodic stuff, but eventually et tu ponderous fingerstyle melodic stuff...I also think it becomes more of a dealbreaker on more subdued or middy sounding ukes.

Last edited:
The rough texture and thick feel were real turn-offs for me on the Aquillas but they sounded great. The feel of them was distracting however.

I'm having one of those "I'm not alone, I'm not crazy" moments. I'd love to try some Ko'olau Mahanas, but they don't seem to be sold this side of the Atlantic.

By the way... as far as the gritty/chalky feel of aquila's, this will nearly solve that. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fingerease-Guitar-String-Lubricant?sku=420450

Thanks. Always wondered about that product. Seemed like there should be ads, with geeky kids in glasses playing really slowly, adding some guitarease to their guitar, and turning into long haired shred gods. But of course obscure guitar accessory products don't tend to advertise on TV. Ah well...

I'll be working on formulation called "Aquila Lube."

Thanks. Always wondered about that product. Seemed like there should be ads, with geeky kids in glasses playing really slowly, adding some guitarease to their guitar, and turning into long haired shred gods. But of course obscure guitar accessory products don't tend to advertise on TV. Ah well...

lol. It is really good stuff. It almost feels more powdery than greasy. It makes aquila's feel more like a standard clear. I actually take it with me when I am going to shoot pool, it is a great stick lube.

The rough texture and thick feel were real turn-offs for me on the Aquillas but they sounded great. The feel of them was distracting however.

I've come to the conclusion that what really distracts me with Aquilas is how they sound pretty good fingerstyle but really not so hot when strummed. Invariably they give me the sense I'm playing 2 different ukuleles, one slightly "better" than the other.

Hands down the most overrated, overprescribed string on the planet...and one that has shifted tonal preferences not far from the trash can...where what matters the most is the decibel count.

The 2 ukes they sound the best on: the Flea and the Makala Dolphin. I give the credit to the plastic and not the Nylgut.

Last edited:
By the way... as far as the gritty/chalky feel of aquila's, this will nearly solve that. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fingerease-Guitar-String-Lubricant?sku=420450

DON'T use furnisher polish, I accidently (or was it =D ) sprayed my strings on a guitar and wow, there was so much squeeking I thought I had a group of Seagulls backing me.

I've come to the conclusion that what really distracts me with Aquilas is how they sound pretty good fingerstyle but really not so hot when strummed. Invariably they give me the sense I'm playing 2 different ukuleles, one slightly "better" than the other.

Hands down the most overrated string on the planet...and one that has shifted tonal preferences not far from the trash can...where what matters the most is the decibel count.

The 2 ukes they sound the best on: the Flea and the Makala Dolphin. I give the credit to the plastic and not the Nylgut.

Yarp, I like them on my Mahog concert as its a mellow uke, but tried them on my koa soprano, bright body + bright strings = ear ache, now it has Pro Artes which gives a really nice full balanced tone. I'm about to take them off my spruce top also for the same reason, the body is already very bright and projects really well, it needs strings that balance and compliment the body, maybe some pro artes again or worth browns.

Hopefully putting on some Hilo tenor plain 3rds today...on BOTH my inexpensive tenors....

Top Bottom