Quick question?

glass

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a gourdulele and wanted to know if I use some oak veneered plywood for the neck am I setting myself for disaster? I am pretty new to the ukulele and just wanted to make a gourd one since I have anice gourd lying around....any help would be great. Thanks
Ken

would just oak as well be good?

In the nicest possible way - the wheel; don't re-invent it :)

just happened to have some veneer lying around and also some solid oak...just didnt know what could use
this is my first little build and figure try to keep costs down as much as possible since my wife iss due with twins in Nov

Oak would be the way to go if that's what you got. If you wanna spend a few bucks grab a piece of rift sawn poplar from the local hardware store, you might wanna grab a small bottle of titebond while you're there. If you wanna make the neck stronger slice it down the middle and reverse the two halves then flip one over so the grain pattern from the end looks like this ///\\\. If you wanna get fancier and stronger you could put a slice of that oak between them ///||\\\. But all that stuff isn't necessary probably, the oak or a stick of poplar would probably do just fine. The oak would probably be prettier to most people, the poplar would be a lot lighter and I like the feel and tone from it. I've got an old oak bath towel rack I found in the trash that's in line to become a couple of CBU necks.

Last edited:
I am also on my very first build and to insure that I don't screw it all up I opted to buy a cheap ukulele and cut the neck and bridge off of it. I figure I will actualy save money by not making any mistakes or having to buy all the details
But on the other hand I also understand the pride of making it your self too :)

Top Bottom