Wound C on Island Ukulele Soprano?

Skottoman

Reaction score
I have some Concert strings (D'addario) with a wound 3rd C string. I'd like to try it on my Island Ukulele Soprano.

Do you think there will be any issues with too much tension from this string? If so, is there a good set of soprano strings with a wound C? I'll add that I'm leaving the standard strings and just want to swap out the C string...

The Island Ukulele Soprano is a bit bigger than a Martin S-O soprano, in body and length, somewhere between a Martin soprano and a Concert Kala.

I love changing strings and trying the differences, but don't want to mess up this uke by ripping the bridge off!

Cheers,
Skottoman

Here is a pic for size reference of the Island Ukulele Soprano next to a Martin S-O.

Does anyone use wound C strings on a soprano? This particular soprano is a bit 'tubby', and deeper than any other uke I have. Neat soprano for sure.

Cheers,
Skottoman

sopranos.jpg

The scale length looks very comparable to me. Both appear to me to be standard sopranos. The SO has a lower bridge position....

I guess when I mean "A bit bigger", the Island Ukulele body is much fatter in width and depth, as well as the fretboard being wider...

Still the question is will a wound C string (leaving the stock Hilos for the rest) be too much tension for a little soprano?
Cheers,
Skottoman

I string my Makala Dolphin with concert Aquila strings with no issues. I've never used a wound C on it but I was using a wound D string from a classical guitar set for low G for a while. Unless the bridge isn't glued on well, it takes a lot of tension to pop it off. I don't think one wound concert string would be enough extra tension to pop the bridge off or warp the neck.

Thanks for the reply! I will probably give it a try, and save the C string in case I don't like it.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Top Bottom