My first build

I love that set of myrtle, and you guys got 2 'ukes out of it. How cool is that. Looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep the pics coming!

Looks like good progress. Nice fit on that Spanish heel.
Two questions;
You glued the neck before you finished carving it or am I not seeing the picture right?
Also, no liners? How thick did you make the sides?

Yes...I glued the neck the heel is all carved. I will finish the neck after the fretboard is attached. The sides are 3/32 I will glue the kerflings in next.

The kerfings are really only there to keep the top on if you are doing bindings. At least, that's how I understand it.

Most ukulele sides are closer to .070" - .080" than 3/32" (.0938") in thickness. After sanding the sides you are closer to .060" or even thinner. It's asking an awful lot to expect any glue to keep a top on a surface that is a scarce 1/16" wide. Some support is necessary. Bent linings are traditionally use on ukes that are either bound or unbound. Kerfings are used when purflings are added to the top surface. Purflings and kerfings are usually added before the tops and backs are glued on and are sanded flush to the sides. (Can't imagine how you'd do it otherwise.) Either way, you've got to have some additional support there!

The liners are there to improve or assist the structural integrity of the joint between the sides, top and bottom. They are sometimes (typically) kerf cut to facilitate conforming to the bend of the sides. Linings are almost mandatory if there is going to be a binding because of the thin-ness of the sides.
With no bindings, liners can be eliminated but not typically. The trade off would be the thickness of the sides.

Edit; Chuck, assuming we started at the same time, you must type 3 minutes faster than I do. :~)

Last edited:
Looks nice. I like how you matched your sleeve with the rosette inlay for the photo.:p

Your uke is lookin' pretty darn good.
Did you run short of fret wire or just not finished?
Was going to comment on the very colorful shirt as well... cool. Or is it a tattoo?

Your uke is lookin' pretty darn good.
Did you run short of fret wire or just not finished?
Was going to comment on the very colorful shirt as well... cool. Or is it a tattoo?

I used brad nails to locate the fret board. I still need to install the wire in thoses spots....they are tattoos full sleeves

wow....I thought that was nice wood before. Amazing how finish can really bring out the grain

It's beautiful! I can't wait to hear what it sounds like! :)

Top Bottom